What's new

*** Official "Metal Gear Solid 2 (MGS2)" Review & Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Brad-

If I were you, I would let her win every fight because a wife that enjoys videogames is a prized thing.

I have a friend who's a girl who likes violent videogames and anime...she's the only one I know...

A note to everyone who hasn't beaten it: if you think the game is too much like MGS, don't think less of the game. There is a reason for that, sort of. Just beat the game.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
let her win every fight
Actually, if I did that, she would think less of me. One thing she said she hated about past boyfriends is that they never stuck up for themselves during a fight... she would always win. I argue my side as much as I can.

I know that this (playing video games) is a prized trait, that's one of the reasons I married her.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, let her win every fight, then beat her in fighting games and make fun of her. I think that will make it even.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I beat her in fighting games, but I can't make fun of her because then she gets frustrated and doesn't want to play. Maybe we should just fight for real and I could be deemed a "wife beater." I don't think she'd mind that too much. ;)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ok well, to bring this back on topic... :)
Does anyone know if there are different endings for MGS2 like there were on MGS for the PSX? Or, are there different endings if you play it on a different difficulty level?
Thanks.

Van Patton

Second Unit
As much as I have read so far MGS2 does not have different endings. The only thing that triggers what you get at the end is how many times you have died, saved, used rations, etc. The less of those you use then the better your prize will be.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MGS2 has one ending. MGS had two endings that were variations on the same ending. Actually, MGS2 is based on the ending that assumes that Snake is weak (the ending where he saves Otacon that is triggerred by him failing to stay awake when Liquid is interrogating him). Anyway, there is only one ending in MGS2.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hey gang,
I just finished this last night. Overall, I give this game a huge :emoji_thumbsup:. Question about the ending though:
Otacon mentions that the 12 Patriots all died 100 years ago. Is that a hint at a possible sequel? I thought that MGS2 was to be the last in the series, though.

Next up, I have to start collecting dog tags. What happens when you get them all? I think it would be sweet if there was some way to:
Play as Snake. I liked Raiden, and I'm not as upset as a lot of people that you play the majority of the game as him, but I would be thrilled if you could play as Snake disarming the bombs and whatnot.

Anyways, great great game. I probably won't stop playing this until Final Fantasy 10 comes out.
One last question:
Did anyone get a cut-scene with the General at the end of the game (after he starts talking nutty.) He tells you to TURN OF THE GAME CONSOLE. A few times, actually. Anyone do it? Remember in the Genesis X-Men game, you had to reset the Genesis to advance a level.... I'm just curious.

Van Patton

Second Unit
About the 100 years thing:

Remember the part about the virus in the systems screwing everything up??? Well this could be like the Y2K bug and it set the clocks back to 1900 but this doesn't explain the fact that the year the game takes place is suppose to be 2009 (I think).

About the ending and the whole game in general:Remember SSS??? Well this whole game is just one big training exercise. None of the events were really happening, just all scripted out. This Sons of Liberty are really Hideo Kojima and the game programmers. Remember the colonel saying that as a test he gave us commands and we followed everyone of them?? Well we as consumers passed the mission. We bought the game and did everything it told us to so really WE are solid snake and raiden. Maybe someone else can say that better than me.

Here's a tip for anyone that is trying to collect all the dog tags, once you get the coolant you can use it on any unconscious guards to wake them up faster, this really helps when you're in a room with multiple guards. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are 10 sets of dog tags to get. 5 difficulties, 2 levels, 10 sets.

After getting a certain amount you get the infinite ammo bandana, then the stealth invisibility suit, then a wig that gives you infinite ammo with no reloads. Thats all.

MGS was supposed to be the last in the series. The ending was supposed to show that the game was a conspiracy, but after such strong demand, Kojima made a sequel. He may help plan the inevitable sequel (which he even thinks will happen) but he won't direct.

And about the thing with what the colonel said, its just him getting nutty.

SSS was not Solid Snake Simulation, it was that other thing. The Patriots planned all this so that they could achieve their goal under the guise of Solid Snake Simulation. In the end, the Patriots don't exist anymore (so I'm not sure who planned this stuff) and Liquid has taken over Ocelot's body. My only guess could be that the Patriots were a computer program based on the original Patriots and were going to be stored in Arsenal Gear.

The sequel will explain it better.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have on question.

What is "GW" or what does it stand for?

I heard it throughout the game but I don't know what it is.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
GW is the name of the Artificial Intelligence that operates Arsenal Gear. I don't know what it stands for.

Am I the only one that noticed that

when inside Arsenal Gear, if you press start, it shows a faint picture of a turtle with something on its back surrounded by a snake eating its tail. WTF? And the parts in Arsenal Gear that you go through are named after parts of small and large intestines (I'm in Biology right now).

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Well this was the first game in the series I played. After beating it I went back and played MGS and beat it in a solid afternoon of playing. Now I am going back and replaying this game on a harder difficulty level (I played on easy the first time, this time I am playing normal). All I can say is, what was already a great game has gotten better with this difficulty setting and with the plot information filled in (I did read the 300+ page report on the disc, but it did not explain things as well as just playing the original game). I would reccomend only playing this game after beating the original and on normal and harder modes because otherwise the full effect of being spotted, and having to evade the enemy does not take effect. God this game is so great....in the short time I have owned the PS2, it has provided me with three of the best gaming experiences of my life: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. The only way that this game could be improved upon is to have more "out of game" interaction like in the first one (like looking on the back of the cd case for the frequency, or having Psycho Mantis move your controller. :) ) Don't miss this one!

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i'll agree with that. i felt that this was a good game but it did need a controller port switch or a flip the case look or something. the whole game i was thinking there was one of em bound to happen but alas no trick. as good as i game this was.. i felt the plot went to hell in the last 20% of the game. i really did. but to each his own i guess.. all i can ask for is that if a third solid is put out PLEASE LET ME PLAY SNAKE for the majority of the game. i liked the idea of playing raiden but i mean comeon.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the Raiden thing was a good idea.

Hideo Kojima explained that like this: who is the main character in Sherlock Holmes stories? Sherlock Holmes, of course. Who is the main character in Metal Gear Solid 2? Solid Snake, of course. But in Sherlock Holmes books, who is the narrator? Watson. Similar idea for MGS2.

I liked it and thought it provided a twist for the game. I hope Raiden is not in the next game or is only for a little bit. If there was some big conspiracy where Raiden's wife-to-be was killed and then he was lured somewhere and killed, then I'm for it, but I don't want him to just be knocked off because nobody likes him.

You gotta give Kojima some credit for keeping it a secret until the release date.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
well i'll agree with that one too. i think it was a great job on his part and the part of konami for keeping Raiden a secret. and even now on the commericals for the game, he still isn't on em. so i'll give him credit.
don't get me wrong the gameplay was fantastic. this has got to be the single coolest game i've played to date. i mean i loved all the bosses.. they were real fun.. but the kicker to me was the fact that the sniper stage was sooooo fun on this game.. it was clear that konami made this game and silent scope. had that feel to it. solidus was a blast fighting in my opinion bc he wasn't really a hard boss.. just more or less a kick ass one. BUT THE PLOT, that just lost me towards the end. i had no problem with playing as Raiden, it was listening to him. that was too much for me. and don't let me get started on Rose..

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I just finished the game for the 1st time last night and I was very satisfied. The ending was a little wacky, but I can deal with it.

I really liked the plot twist about Raiden being a child soldier and the fact that the Col. was just A.I. I was getting worried while fighting the Metal Gear RAY's, I thought I was going to have to fight all of them. The fight with Solidus was very cool. Nothing like a good sword fight. As far as the Patriots being dead for a 100 years. This has had me thinking for awhile. Are the Patriots now some form of A.I.? Has the virus screwed up the data on the Patriots? Or did the Patriots have the wrong info on the disc? I believe the last one. The Patriots seem to smart to have all that info out in the open like that. I believe it was a test for Snake and Raiden to see if they could accomplish the task of getting the info and then cracking it. I would also think it would be kind of cool that we come to find out that one of the main characters is actually a Patriot orchestrating the whole thing. Maybe Otacon or Ocelot, or even Snake.

All in all, I am very satisfied with this game. I am now going to start collecting the dog tags and taking some photos with my new digital camera. I think I am also going to pick up a copy of the 1st Metal Gear Solid and play through that again as well.

****Snake out****

-Dean-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-

the Patriots thing is supposed to lead into a sequel. MGS ended with a little convo between two characters, so MGS2 tried to follow the tradition.

MatS

Screenwriter
some of the best explainations of the games meaning/motive can be found in this thread
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks