What's new

*** Official "Metal Gear Solid 2 (MGS2)" Review & Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've beaten the game, so I can comment on it.
Yes, what Dean said is true. There is a scene where
Spoiler:You fight alongside Snake
And its freakin weird!!!
Near the last few hours, the game gets FREAKY!!! You will seriously think that it was a big joke when its not.
I was guessing about the storyline up until the last 10 minutes of the game.
My next goal is to get all the dog tags. I have them for Tanker on Easy, and I'm missing 2 for Tanker on Very Easy because the two guys won't cooperate with me and give them up. Anyone know how to get tags from guys who say that you won't shoot them?
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on November 17, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

Luke_A

Agent
I finished MGS2 today, and I just have to say that I thought the ending was very disappointing. The gameplay elements in the game are amazing, but the radio transmissions go on WAY to long. It seems there are way more cutscene and radio transmissions than actual gameplay. Add the fact that I didn't care much for the story once I got done with the Big Shell facility thing, and a lot of the scenes were even more boring. All in all, I would give the game an 8/10.

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
I just beat the game and thought it was great! Too long in the codec messages but still great.
I was wondering did anyone get anything worth while after beating it? I got a two camera's, wow!
Anyone get something really cool?
I know that taking pictures of certain things can get you more extra's.
Another cool thing is the DogTag thing at the end of the game, for those who beat you know what I mean.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-
Tried to do that, but on Very Easy, they die if you hit their leg and shooting over their shoulder does nothing.
I have all the tags for Easy, half for Normal, and all but 2 for Very Easy in the Tanker.
The cinemas did go on forever. It did get annoying. But the story was complex, and I liked that. I liked how people who played only the first few hours of it said it was too much like MGS but they didn't finish it, otherwise they would have seen why that comment was stupid.
Overall, more than worth $50.

Troy_S

Agent
Here's a letter I wrote to IGN.com regarding their review of MGS2. It should tell you what I think of the game.
Dear IGN,
Are you guys Hideo Kojima’s bitches or WHAT? You didn’t point out any of the games MAJOR flaws. For example when you subtract all the dialogue and non-playable story advancing scenes the game is barely 6 hours long! You don't actually control Solid Snake from the previous games, which in my opinion is flagrant false advertising. Read the back of the box, read ANY of the ads and it’ll all say the same thing… “take control of Solid Snake…” not take control of some whinny little bitch while he explores his sensitive side with his girlfriend!! Almost ALL the equipment you pick up is useless since the game is so short and it's pretty likely you'll go through the whole thing without using half your crap. And the story! For the love of God whoever wrote this thing has got to be the single most undisciplined writer working today! A bit of conspiracy and mystery is good but this guy didn’t know when to quit!
The actual game play was awesome! But there was almost none of it! I'd give the PSX game (MGS) 9.8/10 I'd give this one 7.0/10 at the most. Maybe if you guys could get Kojima’s dick out of your mouths for two seconds you could actually write a semi-objective review. I’ve seen you massacre games with fewer problems that had the same saving graces as MGS2 (i.e. great graphics, great gamepley etc.) But for the love of God this game is 6 hours long! It’s totally linear, you run through an area once and that’s it! You’ll never see it again! In MGS you got to an area and stayed there, you ran around looking for this and that, accomplishing a MISSION until you EARNED an advance in the story. It reminds me of the good old mid- 1990’s and FMV games, that’s exactly what MGS2 is… a high-tech FMV game. The tragedy though is that the foundation was there for a great game, this is what happens when you give someone who thinks themselves infallible complete control over every aspect of a project. I’ll have to take your reviews from now one with a grain of salt… obviously there are some games you guys just WONT take an objective look at.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Uhm, Troy, what IGN was expressing in their review was called an opinion. They loved the game, so do many others, and so do I. I guess that would mean that everyone who likes the games has a dick in their mouth? If you don't like the game, take it back or sell it. No one is holding a gun to your head to play it.
BTW, I think the Madden games are shit too, but just because someone gives it a good review, I don't go ripping them to shreds. So what if IGN loved the game and you didn't. The world will move on. That letter to IGN will not change their opinion of the game and it also makes you seem a bit immature. This is all my opinion of course.
wink.gif

-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought playing as Raiden didn't affect the game at all. In fact, it made it better to see the story unfold from a different perspective.
And in case you didn't know, the story is a BIG part of the games in this series, so I'm not surprised that the game was mostly story stuff. It was very interesting to me and I enjoyed watching the cinemas.
Also, MGS was shorter than 6 hours without skipping any cinemas or anything.
The gameplay was great, the story was great, so whats wrong? The fact that Kojima and crew were able to keep the whole thing about Raiden in the dark isn't false advertising, it just shows how well they keep secrets.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Just finished it, and the story blew me away! Sure there were some long passages of speech, but it all made sense and fit the game.
Now comes the replying to get all the extras....... :)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Eh, I'm also at the Raiden bomb thing and if you asked me, I would say I was 1/3 of the game thru. It looks like I'm almost done.

That is disappointing. I love the game but the in game cut scenes are brutal. I wanted to get 10 more minutes in before bed Saturday night, I ended up staring at my screen for 40 minutes about ready to fall asleep.

Something tells me they added the Snake scenerio as an afterthough because the game was too short.

Oh well, as someone who has never played the series before, I'm enjoying it and I also bought MGS for the PC and am amazed how good that is.

Re: the DD5.1 - another disappointment. It's not in-game (SSX Tricky can do it), it's not even on cut scenes. I only saw it kick on during the 2 beginning movies.

Doug

paul h

Supporting Actor
Well just rec'd my copy imported from the US today...came along with AceCombat4, SoulReaver2 and DevilMayCry means a late night tonight!!!

Have high hopes for all these games.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm recently finding it very eerie when people exclaim, "This game blows, it's only (insert any time under 30 hours) long." I'm as much of a video game nut as the next person, but man, there are a lot of other things (not necessarily better) to do out there (watch college basketball, go to a concert, watch movie with friends, your mom, etc. etc.). Six hours of gameplay? That's not too bad.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
When you ask $50+ for a game. No, 6 hours is not enough.

They need to add replayability. VR missions or something.

Doug

Geno

Supporting Actor
Yes the game is too short. Another full mission would have been great. Heck, with all the hype from this game, another disk of missions would be great! Well as far as actuall game playing, this game rocks. :eek:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you don't skip cinemas, the game is at least 10 hours long. I watched every cinema and still went through the game at a brisk pace and it took me around 12.5 hours. Also, there are some added secrets and such that you can get, and they are there for replay value.

Some games need to have a lot of gameplay to be good. MGS, Super Smash Brothers, and Final Fantasy are my only exceptions.

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
I Just rented MSG2 and just went as far as the demo and have a easy Question : How do I save the Game??

Thanks

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ken, go to frequency 140.96 (I think) and Otacon will ask if you want to save. The actual frequency is in the manual.

-Dean-

Brad_W

Screenwriter
This is another reason why I love my wife. She and I have been playing this game for 2 days straight now. We each take turns at 15 minute intervals. It's very cute because we sometimes even argue about where to go and what to do.

Of course this is the same person that kicked me off my Home Theater for several days because she started and beat Shenmue.

God I love my wife... and that MGS 2 isn't so bad either.

Now how many wives will play video games with their husbands? Prolly some, but not many.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks