What's new

*** Official MEET THE FOCKERS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Meet the Fockers" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Meet the Fockers" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
If I could borrow a phrase from a deservedly well-respected film critic:

"I hated, hated, hated this movie."

---But I fully expect to be in the minority with this opinion.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Scott. Arguably the biggest waste of talent I've seen ever. De Niro, Hoffman and Streisand get together to serve gags about toddlers, pets and randy geriatrics? And how quickly did the baby saying "a**hole" get old? It wasn't funny the first time, much less the 72nd. What was this - a smuttier Baby Geniuses movie?

I glanced at the official review thread and was astonished to find generally positive comments. The first flick was reasonably entertaining, but this one didn't make me laugh ONCE. In fact, I remained aghast most of the time. Terrible movie...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, obviously, comedy is terribly subjective.

I think the concept of the films tap into that universal anxiety of getting married, and trying to get the families on both sides to come together and understand where the other family members are coming from and to try to get along with one another (mainly for holidays in the years ahead) when the differences might become the centerpiece of the union.

This relatability makes it a crowd pleaser. I see nothing wrong with it, nor a waste of talent on the screen. Sure, the writers missed a few opportunities for some bigger laughs (like when Jack gets his back worked on by Roz, and we get little in terms of payoff for that scene), but for the most part, it was a fun time for this viewer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The "relatability" is the big problem with "Fockers". I thought the first one strayed from reality a little too much but still offered enough of a connection that I could enjoy it for that tone. "Fockers" had NOTHING to do with reality. It was absurd farce from minute one and never connected to anything with which I could relate. There's virtually nothing in this movie that has anything to do with the real world - it's all gags for their own sake...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's not worth a real review. My family's choice for the film to see on Christmas...and even they didn't like it much. Flat, uninspired, dull, rote. Such a waste. A paycheck film for all involved it seemed.

It had one good laugh for my money..."Focker out".

The remaining 1 hour, 59 minute and 57 seconds were pretty poor.

Too bad,
Chuck

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
I think a movie like this is more steeped in Pop culture than in actual quality.

The movie is fun in a crowded theater but maybee not so great for repeat veiwings as the first.

Meet the Fockers is a Neil Simon movie with out the heart or sublelty. It would have been much more original if they had made Fockers parents even more conservative than his in laws and then let Deniro get into the trouble that Ben had gotten into in the first picture.

This movie was a lot of toilet hurmor for the above fifty crowd. Parents might not go with their teens to see "Dumb and Dumber" but they can go a share a laugh at this one becuase they can both relate.

Could it have been better? YES!

Is it good enough for a movie ticket to see with a big audience YES!

If you missed it in the theater I would not bother a rental since it probably would not be as fun at home so much as offensive LOL.

You've just been Fockerized.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw a tv spot today for the film, and I swear that the announcer at the end of the spot said "Meet the F**kers"

He says it so fast that that's the way it came out sounding.

Did anyone catch this? I knew it would happen sooner or later somewhere. ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
For us non-native speakers, the difference isn't very obvious. I have been saying the wrong word until a few weeks ago when someone corrected me.

Knowing the difference is VERY liberating, because I am now free to say "FOCKER" even in formal settings like work. And it feels just as good as "FUCKER" :D.

I have the same issue with beatch/bitch and many others...

Many a parent who knew nothing about these movies must have chocked upon first hearing the TV spots, especially if they weren't looking at the screen.

--
H

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Comedy is truly subjective. I laughed my butt off the entire time and plan to pick it up.

Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It was just fair while the first movie was actually "good". I liked the original because it was easy to relate to Stiller's tense situation of having to impress his fiancee's family, but the sequel was just all toilet humor and cheap gags - many of which were unlikely (it's hard to believe any older couple could be so perverse and uncouth when they know damn well that they have to be considerate of their fellow in-laws). Still worth watching for the presence of Streisand and Hoffman, and not a total washout.

chris winters

Second Unit
I saw this on christmas eve and enjoyed it. Very funny, and well acted. The theater was roaring with laughter the whole time. It did stary a bit outside reality occasionally, but overall very funny stuff. I did feel like the whole ensamble was ganging up on deniro for much of it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

While I think the movie was poor and a total washout, I do firmly agree with Joe's quick synopsis of the movie's problems. He nails the issues that made Fockers weak...

RichardK

Second Unit
I thought it was pretty damn funny...
I didnt expect much from this film going in, but i went because friends and relatives of ours recommended it. Im not much of a Ben Stiller fan, thankfully , at least IMO, he wasnt the funniest character...
1) Hoffman
2) De Niro
3) Streisand (sp?)
4) LJ
5) Stiller

Im 31, married with children, my in laws are quirky and so are my parents...Hoffman reminded me of my dad with all that kissing and hugging he did... B+

todd stone

Screenwriter
just saw this flick, thought it was pretty good. Loved the kid goign ass hooooooooooooooooooooooole :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks