What's new

*** Official "K-PAX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Just caught this flick early at a pre-release screening at my college. Its definitly better than most of the crap we have had to sit through all summer. I really don't want to discuss the plot as it would be too much of a spoiler, but I do want to say that it felt like the movie went in one direction for an hour and half and then went a different direction the other half hour. The movie felt alot like the movie Michael (with John Travolta) in its wittyness. Good acting by both Spacey and Jeff Bridges, though some of the supporting cast leaves to be desired. I would definitly recommend this flick.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
My wife and I are going to see this movie this Thursday and I'm interested to see it. The plot seems strange, but Kevin Spacey is usually up to the task of raising any movie a little higher.
------------------
Scott

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Definitely higher quality mainstream fare. Not brilliant or cinema-redefining, but a good, generally uninsulting movie. If the packed house at tonight's preview is any sign, I think this will probably do well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This looks like it might be a charming little diversion. I will definitely check it out when it appears on DVD.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If Kevin Spacey has a trick up his sleeve, it's that he seems to always elevate his character to something interesting. That alone is reason enough for me to check out K-Pax.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

I would have to agree. I can't recall any movie KS has done (recently anyway) that I have been disappointed in. We don't go to the theater much but we will be going for this.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I just saw K-PAX tonight - caught a sneak preview. Overall, I liked this movie. For the first hour, I was absolutely intrigued by it. The last half of it was good, but it lost a little bit of it's momentum (can't say much more without giving away any plotlines).
As usual, Kevin Spacey was awesome. There seems to be no character he can't perform well. He did a great job, and I thought Jeff Bridges did a good job too. He's not my favorite actor, but played this role well.
It was pretty funny at times, too, though I'd classify this movie as a drama.
In the end, I was left with plenty of thoughts to consider, and I enjoy movies with that type of ending.
In general, I'd recommend it, especially if you're a Kevin Spacey fan. I'm glad I saw it!
------------------
Scott

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I caught a sneak as well. However, my view on the film is quite different from the previous posts. I felt the script was very sloopy writing, with a lot of easy answers and poorly defined characters. The acting was solid, but Spacey and Bridges doesn't really do anything that different. If it were up to me, I'd advise K-Pax as a rental instead of paying the ticket price.

Annie G

Auditioning
I'm really looking forward to this film. It looks like a nice change of pace compared to the other films that are showing. :)
------------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "K-PAX". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "K-PAX" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 27, 2001 at 08:13 AM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Ok,
Here is how I understood the movie.
Basically the movie was in sort of a way, like a 'Quantum Leap' movie.
But in a form of Light travel leaping or traveling.
Prot WAS INDEED from K-PAX. Prot basically 'took over' Porter's body during sometime of Porter's terrible tradegy. So Kevin Spacey(Porter) and Prot were the same person for awhile.
So at July 27th 5:51AM Prot left Porter's body(Spacey) and left him back in his catatonic state. Then took over that African-American females body.(the one who was afraid of fire, and burned down the house!)
So Prot was taking over people body's of ones that had GREAT tradegys happen to them?
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on October 29, 2001 at 07:38 AM]

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! :) Use some spoiler tags please. I won't be seeing this for another week or so. Now I know more than I wanted. I like surprises! Really!
------------------
Dear Tick: What would you do if bees took over the world?
Egad, Hogarth! When the bees implement their worldwide Fascist regime, I will be the first to go down into the honey mines. I will be the first to carry their squirming larvae in my teeth, to smear royal jelly on their chosen queen. And why? Good heavens! On account of the stinging!

Well, first off I was one of the fortunate people to have read the book first then see the movie. John on your synapsis, you were kinda off. Prot is Robert Porter, his name is derived from Porter. It is his one of 4 of his multiple personalities, not you would not find that in the movie but in the book. If anyone is intrested read the book, great quick read.
The movie is a lot different than the book, more describtive of course, but it explained things way better. As I left the theater, we were talking about how lost you could be by not having read the book.. They did jump around alot and not explain things very well in the movie.
Overall I liked the movie, so everyone knows there is a sequel to K-PAX in hardcover, called "On a Beam of Light", this is the return of Prot.
Basically Dr. Brewer (name of DR. in book) cures (Robert) Prot, of his multiple personality disorder.
Both are great books and only about 250 pages, one day reading material.
Well any questions, Ill be waiting for a reply.
Thanks

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
After seeing the movie, my friends and I had a discussion as to whether Prot was a human or an alien. After discussing the arguments for and against each case, we came to the conclusion that the only thing that suggested he was an alien, that could not be countered or explained, was Prot's ability to see ultraviolet rays. None of us recalled any explanation in the movie as to why he could, so by default, Prot would have to be an alien. Our theory for the hypnosis was that it was only affecting the human Prot was using as a vehicle, thus explaining the change in accent and the seemingly lower intelligence of Prot when hypnotized. If anybody has any evidence as to why he can see UV rays (from the movie only please, the book has no bearing on this discussion), or as to why he HAS to be a human, I would love to read it.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Since this is a discussion thread...spoilers abound. No use in using the spoiler tags.
I just saw this movie last night and I loved it. As to the plot, I think it could go either way. There's evidence that points to multiple personalities and there's evidence pointing to alien inhabitation (Prot living in Robert's body). Here's the evidence from what I can remember:
Multiple Personality
·Prot only showed up when Robert was in some kind of trouble.
·Robert was a very "brainy" person (as described by the local sheriff) which could explain his understanding of complex astrophysics.
·Prot could get hypnotized. I don't think a real alien would be subject to hypnosis.
·Prot had a very severe reaction to the noise from the sprinkler, yet he wasn't even there until Robert was going to kill himself down at the river, after washing himself clean on the sprinkler. How would Prot have associated the sprinkler noise to a water death?
·During his final hypnoses session, Robert seemed to make a "guest" appearance and attacked the doctor.
Alien inhabitation
·Prot could see wavelengths outside human capability.
·Prot could talk to the dog and knew things about the dog that no outside visitor would know.
·Where did Prot go when he was suppose to be gone up north if he didn't really go up north? He couldn't be living out his fantasy and just hide somewhere. Then he wouldn't even be convincing himself of the reality of the fantasy.
·What caused the TVs to go out the very second Prot went back to K-PAX?
·Where did Bess go?
Of course I could counter all of the above "evidence" with arguments that support the opposite possibility, but I won't bore you with that. And it would still leave me split either way.
But no matter what the truth is...Prot saved Robert's life and delivered him into the capable hands of a doctor that will understand exactly what happened and will be able to take the appropriate steps to cure him. So it doesn't matter if Prot was an alien or just an alternate personality...it makes for a very interesting ending! Prot is either a very good friend or a "healthy" alternate personality.
Edit - Oh, and Lawrence, here's my attempt at explaning why Prot would be capable of seeing ultraviolet light: Mind over matter - He believed his own fantasy so much so that he was actually capable of "superhuman" abilities.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 28, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
See, I was thinking multiple personalities, but as the movie progressed, I just kept on thinking my first conclusion up above.
------------------

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw it the same way as John. I think Prot was using Robert's body as a vehicle on Earth. If he was a human the whole time, the movie shifts from a mysterious sci-fi drama to a mediocre drama with bad science.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, the ultraviolet light was never sufficiently explained in the movie, I am sure that they had ways to be able to make sure he was seeing it, and were not just taking his word for it. I think this is the key evidence in the theory that supports that Prot was an alien...

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Lawrence - Yeah. I'm saying, assuming that he was really seeing the ultraviolet light, and that he's not really an alien, the only possible solution I can come up with is that it's mind over matter. Because he really believes he's an alien he really has superhuman ability.
If, as the book states, Prot is one of Robert's alternate personalities then I'm very dissappointed that the whole ultraviolet vision thing didn't get explained better. However, in order to prove that Prot is really an alien you'd have to disprove the mind over matter theory. So I'm still split on the issue.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 29, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks