What's new

Official iPhone on Verizon Press Conference, Announcement and Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Giz: Oh and more about antenna design change: There is an additional division on the top right as well, but no division on the top, next to the headphone jack. Interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep, antenna system redesigned The inclusion of the mobile hotspot is a nice way to get around the 4G issue.. I will say, at least here in Kansas :) I'd take ATT over Verizon every day of the week.. the service difference is huge.. Verizon is slow like a dog here, compared to ATT... which of course may vary all over the country ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Q: Why didn't you go the LTE route?

Tim: Two reasons -- the first gen LTW chipsets force design changes we wouldn't make. And Verizon customers told us they want the iPhone now. I can't tell you the number of times we've been asked 'when will it work on Verizon.'

verizon-iphone-1052.jpg

11:21AM Q: Will it be on a one year refresh cycle?

Tim: We don't comment on that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Giving away a 4G Mobile Hotspot with each one.

Not that I've seen, that was speculation

[/QUOTE]

OK, I guess I misunderstood when they said Mobile Hotspot would be included.. I assumed they meant they were giving it with it, since they didn't offer any pricing but said it came with it..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What's sad is that there really is no incentive for

AT&T users to make the switch.

Better coverage might be the clincher, but I don't

generally have the problems others are.

Verizon did not announce a limitless data plan.

Verizon did not address the inability to have voice

and data at the same time.

Nothing newer or better about this phone.

Those who don't care about the new phone coming

out in a few months should certainly jump on the

Verizon bandwagon if this will be their first phone.

For the rest of us, much better to wait for the next

upgrade and the dust to settle on plans and phone

capabilities.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
-DEALBREAKER ALERT!!!!! CDMA devices: what happens when you use data and get a phone call. "It's the same experience you get on CDMA devices now" - he's basically saying your data will drop.

-DEALBREAKER ALERT!!!!! CDMA devices: what happens when you use data and get a phone call. "It's the same experience you get on CDMA devices now" - he's basically saying your data will drop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by mattCR

OK, I guess I misunderstood when they said Mobile Hotspot would be included.. I assumed they meant they were giving it with it, since they didn't offer any pricing but said it came with it..

Correct, nothing is bundled in. The device itself is a CDMA 3g hotspot for up to 5 devices, and you cant use that feature when the frigging phone rings.

So everyone using your lame ass hotspot drops connection while you take a call.

LAME

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

See, it's a downgrade.

Plus, from what I understand, the CDMA phones are harder to jailbreak.

I can't have an iPhone that cannot be jailbroken.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It sucks and they know it but have to cover Verizon's ass for it:

Q: Experience is so paramount at Apple... GSM allows data and voice... how does that experience feel here?

Tim: I think people place different emphasis on things -- I can tell you that the number one question I've gotten is when will the iPhone work on Verizon. I couldn't be happier to tell people that. They will make those sorts of tradeoffs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/verizon-iphone-launch/

http://www.cultofmac.com/verizon-iphone-cant-do-simultaneous-voice-and-data-like-every-other-cdma-phone/76612

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

It sucks and they know it but have to cover Verizon's ass for it:

Q: Experience is so paramount at Apple... GSM allows data and voice... how does that experience feel here?

Tim: I think people place different emphasis on things -- I can tell you that the number one question I've gotten is when will the iPhone work on Verizon. I couldn't be happier to tell people that. They will make those sorts of tradeoffs.

In other words: shut up you losers, it's not like anyone who isn't already on verizon knows any different.

So the phone has a hotspot.. but the hotspot goes to shit everytime the phone rings. That's laughable.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's unclear now exactly what the options are Matt, other sites commenters were suggesting that if Data is active you may be able to send voice calls to voicemail instead of dropping data users. Pick your poison?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This post shows the changes to the Antenna:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/verizon-iphone-first-hands-on/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/verizons-iphone-4-has-a-new-antenna-design/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Correct, nothing is bundled in. The device itself is a CDMA 3g hotspot for up to 5 devices, and you cant use that feature when the frigging phone rings.

So everyone using your lame ass hotspot drops connection while you take a call.

LAME

[/QUOTE]

Since they didn't say the hotspot usage would be free (or substantially discounted), I'd think you can expect that to cost extra as usual.

_Man_

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

See, it's a downgrade.

Technologically, yes. But if you're in one of the many, many areas in the country where AT&T's network sucks, merely being able to calls reliably and use 3G reliably -- albeit not at the same time -- may still feel like an upgrade over a frustrating experience using both simultaneously while burdened with AT&T.

Plus, from what I understand, the CDMA phones are harder to jailbreak.

I can't have an iPhone that cannot be jailbroken.

There will undoubtedly be a lag between when the CDMA version is released and when a jailbreaking method comes out. That being said, I've been using CDMA phones with Verizon for a decade now, and ever since I happened upon BitPim, it hasn't taken very long for it come up with a solution for each new phone I've gotten. The CDMA iPhone 4 will be far more popular than any of them, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time, especially since they'll have the iOS jailbreaks for the GSM phones to work from as a starting point.

Lets be honest, though: this CDMA 3G iPhone is a stop-gap measure while they perfect the LTE iPhone over the next year or two.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess they're banking on most people not caring all that much about the lack of simultaneous voice+data and LTE -- at least for the time being -- which is probably true.

That won't cut it for most(?) gear-heads who happen to be happy w/ AT&T wherever they are, but that probably doesn't apply to the average consumer.

Anyway, sounds like I'll probably continue to look at Android then -- was kinda expecting that anyway. The voice+data issue will impact usage of Google Maps/Nav for driving GPS at least until the latest version (w/ good offline caching) becomes available, so I might need to wait some more. Either that or I guess get the Verizon iPhone 4 and add the $50(?) TomTom app.

Anyone know if the TomTom app for iPhone comes w/ lifetime map updates? What about realtime traffic info? Hmmm... Guess I should actually check the TomTom thread instead.

_Man_

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Finally! I have no intention of switching to Verizon but I am guessing quite a few other AT&T users will. Using 3G data will be like driving on the 405 during a government holiday now. Traffic be gone!

-KeithP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks