What's new

*** Official HUSTLE AND FLOW Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hustle and Flow" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hustle and Flow" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
It's sad to see that no one here seems to be checking this movie out. Alot of people are missing out on a truly wonderful movie about a guy just trying to get something more out of his life than just pimping and drug dealing. And Terrence Howard plays it very believable with his acting. Really deserves the acclaim he's been recieving.
Hustle & Flow isn't just about rap, bitches, and hoes. There's a real film under this. The directing on this is also awesome with it's quasi 70's motif. Check this out whenever you can guys.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
It's only been out for one weekend and is it in wide release yet? Its playing at one of the independent art houses in my town. I plan to see it shortly but I'm never a guy to rush out and see a movie the first weekend.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's in over 1000 theaters and was number 7 at the box office last weekend. Not a "saturation" release, but certainly not a limited one.

M.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i've seen it and it is a great movie. great performances and for those that don't know a VERY realistic portrayal of how some that are large in the hip hop/rap world really made their fortune.

realistically, the unfortunate thing is that the marketing for this film is not going to get the demographic of the htf, and america at large, to be enthusiastic about going to see this film.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not sure which demographic you had in mind, but the studio reported that 64% of the audience was 25 and over, and 60% was female.

M.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
once again, realistically speaking how many members of the htf are interested in seeing a movie about a pimp/drug dealer's effort to become a rap star.

yes the performances are good. the script is pretty tight given the material and it was appropriately filmed. HOWEVER, given the subject matter of the film how many htf members would be willing to fork out 8-10 bux to see this film.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
He means white people. But for bizarre reason, it seems one can't directly refer to race in this country. G'head, repeat after me, white people. White people. White people. Aah, that felt good :D.

--
H

RichardK

Second Unit
I may or may not be in the demographic, but I think an actor that is 'coming up' like Terrence Dashon Howard should be something the HTF should be interested in checking out and supporting. Howard was really good in Crash which is a movie I think the HTF favored a bit.

sorry for the run on.

-Richard

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Notwithstanding that this omovie would probably appeal to a heck of a lot of 20-30 somethings out there, with 40k plus members here I bet there are a lot of "person's of color" on this forum and interested in this little hobby of ours. I would suggest in the future before making such a generalization that you think things through a little more.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A good movie is a good movie, regardless of the subject matter. As Mr. Ebert says "Its not what a movie is about, it is how it is about." Hope to see Hustle and FLow this weekend.

- Walter.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Holadem to the rescue. I wondered, with a slight fascination, how long it'd be tip-toed around. I spent the time also wondering how the HTF demographic felt about 8 Mile.

I won't be going to see Hustle and Flow I don't think, but that's only because I don't go to the movies much these days. I do read these threads, though, so I have a pretty good opinion about what to expect when it comes time to buy the DVD. I bought 8-mile sight unseen. I bought Training Day sight unseen (I had ZERO interest in that one during theatrical run based on the advertising). I've long thought of Terrence Howard as a charming and interesting actor, though I don't go see movies just because of who is in them. I now know, though, that I'll be buying Hustle and Flow when it hits DVD.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
well i have been busy all day and i would have liked to have participated in this dialogue but alas i am a bit tardy.

i have always been a hybrid of sorts. i blend where others don't and mix things that other's can't. so it is with my experience that i have the opinion that i have.

i bought my first hdtv in 2002. it was a toshiba 57h81. in searching for ways to maximize my viewing pleasure i ran into the home theater spot and that lead me here to the home theater forum.

i spend most of my time lurking around here. i visit here every day and i RARELY post anything except in the computer/htpc forum where i help folks if i can. so in my 2.5 years of lurking around here there is one thing that i can say without hesitation.

the htf is not a place where entertainment that is not common within the htf's primary demographic gets much attention. and if a form of entertainment that is not the interest of the primary demographic does come up it is often in a negative light. i don't think that it is a big deal, it is just the way it is. (if anyone needs empirical evidence it is very easy to come by)

now some of you said i just want him to say it. what is the point? i obviously communicated my point very clearly if 'you just wanted me to say it.' i have learned that subtlety is a true art form.

well anyway, in conclusion, i know that there are many people here on the htf that are not the primary demographic. there was no generalization made. out of all the people that i know, i am the only 'person of color' that has this hobby. out of any enthusiast event i have been to there are few if any 'people of color'. i just call things the way i see them. realistically, the primary demographic here at the htf is the primary for a reason.

if i offended anyone i apologize. i just attmept to be as realistic as possible.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
the weekend performance of hustle and flow was only 8 million. it earned twice its budget but by far this was not a run away hit as the latest buzz would lead you to believe. the movie has critical praise with a rotten tomato rating of 81% which shows that it might have some broader appeal as the majority of movie critics represent the major demographic of the htf.

in contrast, diary of a mad black woman (another minority made and starred movie), which was rated pg-13 (h&f was rated r) made 21 million in its first weekend although it was critically panned, with a rotten tomato rating of 16%. the movie made 50 million overall and has been considered a financial success.

although h&f earned double its budget we all know that 8 million dollars is a drop in the bucket by hollywood standards. not only that, but we all know that the marjority of this 8 million dollars came from the pockets of the people that this movie has the most appeal.

it will be interesting to see how many more htf members will chime in on the review thread as it stands now there are only 4 posts.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That doesn't tell you much, if you follow the review threads here. Fever Pitch had three, as did Miss Congeniality 2 and In Good Company. Wimbledon and Shark Tale had two. If there's a "demographic" explanation for those numbers, I can't see it.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks