What's new

Official DVD ETC. review request thread -- request equipment reviews here! (1 Viewer)

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, but Land Rovers are a classic automobile, and I have a certain fondness for them too...

I can give you general guidance, but there will be exceptions to the rule. As a rule, the best CRT RPTVs such as the Pioneer Elite will always have better picture quality than plasmas and LCDs for a couple of reasons, the main being black level. A CRT RPTV can achieve true black, and detail in that true black, while the best LCDs, DLPs, and Plasmas can come close, but not quite. The new LCOS televisions can achieve a very good black level,probably better than the other fixed pixel devices I just mentioned. Bang for the buck for LCOS- the new Philips units which had a pretty good picture from what I was able to tell. The Samsung DLP RPTVs also had a great picture, but I would give the nod to LCOS for better black levels.
Plasmas have a better viewing angle than LCDs (although some of the new larger LCD panels are getting better), and are also very bright to boot so they can be used to great effect in a bright room. Plasmas and LCDs are very popular because they are so bright, and because they are so thin. The black level on plasmas has really improved over the past couple of years.

Bottom line, you need to decide what you want to spend, and what effect size has on your decision. Want to keep the cost down, consider a LCOS or DLP RPTV and you will still save room over a CRT RPTV. Plasma at 50/60" levels will cost you quite a bit more, but has an undeniable sex appeal. Finally, if you just plain want the best picture quality, buy a good CRT RPTV (and if you really do, I have my Pioneer Elite 520 for sale). Hope this helps...

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
David, take it easy on the Brit-digs...I'm very sensitive. Actually I love Rovers because they only seem to break once I'm home. :)

Most companies are getting away from RPTV's entirely...we can't even get any in for review. They're big, heavy and have little profit margins...sex always wins. Give me a DLP projector and a 70 to 110 inch screen and call me happy. 3-chip DLP in my dreams. Add monstrous sound and the screen size will appear larger. Look for improvements on LCD technologies in 2003. So called Silicon-LCD as developed by Sharp--very slick, but like anything new, very expensive. Only available in 4-inch sizes right now (hold it close enough and you've got a 60-inch set--relatively speaking. :) I did see some wonderful LCD's at CES...

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. By the way Manoj, when do you sleep?

And Clint, I will back off the Brit-digs for now. I can tell you like working on your car.;)

terry malibu

Agent
Hi David,

Just thought I would mention that our new magazine 'HDTV ETC'will be coming in the spring, and will surely help you in your search, if you can wait that long....we are targeting a May 1 on sale (Newsstand Only).
Now if we can just Clint out from under that rover, we'll be sure to have it out on time!

Terry Carroll
Publisher
DVD ETC. Magazine

John_VI

Second Unit
Manoj - Great feedback and advice on the big screen issue. I was going to ask specifically for a review of the Samsung DLP sets, or a DLP RPTV faceoff. DLP is a big plus for me because of a combination of space, screen size, picture quality and cost.
Also, how about a review of the available multi-disk DVD players? I'm talking >300 disks, like the models from Kenwood, Sony, Pioneet (+Elite) and Onkyo? What's the future of these huge carousel models? I don't see a lot of press about carousels, but (to me) it seems like a dream come true.
Thanks.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
You don't see a lot of DVD jukeboxes reviewed, and it's probably because their internal video and audio sections are usually pretty similar to another single or 5 player model in the line. The Kenwood Soverign DV-5900 has the same electronics as the 5700 (which I like), and there is plenty of info on it on this and other forums. The Pioneer unit will more than likely have Pioneer's de-interlacer and have the chroma bug, and so on. The extra functionality of the changer has some of its own options, and probably the best way to look at those is to research the feature set and search the forum.

We are considering reviewing the Samsung DLP set (what I have seen of it has left me with a favorable impression), but in that market LCOS also looks very promising because of the black levels.

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
Jamo speakers would be a good choice. An audio/video store just started carrying them in the Des Moines Area. For the most part, this store sells great stuff at great prices, much more upscale than say Best Buy, and beats Ultimate electronics and American at prices.

Anyway, the guy says these speakers have won awards over the past couple of years and I think...yeah I've won an award or two too, but mom's not too happy about them.

On E-pinions.com they say the Jamo 410's are good and cost about $750.00. This guy says they're great and costs $1200.00. You dig up the dirt on them.

Thanks

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 5803 and 9000 have already been reviewed by every magazine out there.
Why don't you do one on the 3800 dvd player? The lockup issues are all fixed on new units and replacement parts are on the way for older ones.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,
We are interested in the technology that is present in the 5803 and 9000, especially the Denon Link. We have one of the first upgraded versions that now allow passage of copyrighted DVD-Audio material through the Denon Link. The 9000 uses some similar technology in its video section in the way of the Silicon Image de-interlacer, and some inferences can be made toward the 3800. We plan to review the 2900 DVD-A/SACD player that we have been told is based in the 3800 chassis and uses a similar video section to the 3800. This player comes out in the late spring/early summer time frame.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I would enjoy a RPTV face off including an Elite rather than a Pioneer like most face offs features because of the price jump. However, it would be nice to see how a 53" Elite PRO530HD at $4300 really compares to the same size sets of Sony, Tosh, mits, etc. It all about true value, right?

Also, let's see a Canadian Speaker Face-0ff to include Paradigm, Axiom, PSB, etc.

One last, any mag ever go into the pros/cons of purchasing direct rather than retail? Manaufacturers such as SVS, Outlaw, Axiom and especially cable companies have come to the scene initiating consumers to review their purchase and utilize word of mouth to help sell the products rather than inflating prices to drive their marketing campaigns. Maybe not too smart for this mag, but it could be poised as an unbiased marketing article.

What do you think?

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
My reference television for the past year has been the Pioneer Elite 520 (I have now switched to plasma). I have not done direct comparisons in my sytem with other televisions, but I have spent some time with other televisions such as the Toshiba which my brother has. In my opinion, the Elite series has the best overall picture quality (without ISF calibration) that I have seen for any RPTV (not to mention an excellent stretch mode for 4:3 TV). If you do not want to spend the extra money on the Elite, the regular Pioneer line comes really close for a lot less.

JameelCH

Auditioning
A review of the current crop of subs would be nice. In particular a review of the Definitive Technologies Supercube 1 would be great.

Jester

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you should mention that Jester, because just coincidentially the next issue will have a subwoofer roundup with 18 subwoofers done by Clint Walker. Keep asking questions timed as good as that and people will think that we are putting in ringers.;)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:f Back from Japan and my souvenir is the Flu! Some great suggestions here...we also have the H/K AVR 325 on its way. The subs have been a real challenge. Def Tech didn't make it in time for the review...but I'll get my ears on it soon. While I was in Japan I went on a factory tour at Panasonic and got a first look at some upcoming technologies in DVD recording and high def recordings. I cannot speak of them right now, however DVD ETC. will have an exclusive look at these products in the very near future. Sorry I've been out of touch, the mag going monthly and the launch of HDTV ETC. is keeping me quite busy. Although I haven't responded often--I am still listening. Thank you for your feedback. :tu:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks