What's new

*** Official "DRUMLINE" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Drumline". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have time for an extensive review, but I really liked this film for it's honesty in showing that all major characters in a particular film can learn something new and grow as a person. This film about a talented, but personally flawed drummer trying to find his place in a marching band for a predominantly black university really hit a homerun for me and it had me reminiscing about my college days and the enjoyment I had watching and listening to such bands. I'll try to add some additional comments about the film at a later time.

Crawdaddy

Colin-H

Second Unit
I normally don't post reviews, but I'd hate to see this fall unnoticed. This is definitely one of the best made-for-teen-consumption romantic comedies of this generation I've seen. I know that's not saying a lot considering the general status of teen comedies nowadays, but this one was heartfelt and didn't drive me insane with its inanity. There's still a lot of cliché, but I think the filmmakers at least recognized this and didn't belittle the audience. That's refreshing in teen movies.

Sure, it's been marketed to an MTV audience and it stars a Nickelodeon actor, but it can be appreciated by anyone, really.

I may be biased since I'm a drummer, and I spent a good portion of my free time in high school with marching band and drum corps… who knows. A lot of the band scenes really hit home—even when the white boy is told to "make love to your drum". I definitely had an instructor who would point at you and yell "virgin" if you weren't marching fluidly. Heh. Memories.

And, of course, there are phat beats, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
From my 2002 List update -- I too want to get this film noticed here:
Drumline is a shocking surprise; a film about youth that actually cares about its characters and doesn't throw them into bad sex jokes and fart gags (there's only one usage of the word "Daaaaaaamn!" in the whole film). Following a smarmy kid (Nick Cannon) into the world of college drumming and band, there are elements of school competition that we've seen before, yet there's a lot of honesty in the film through the writing and the very good performance of the young leads (it should also be noted that comedian Orlando Jones makes does a surprisingly effective job as a militant teacher strongly standing behind his own ethics). It should also be noted that the drumming sequences are outstanding, especially the final bout between two rivalry schools that is simply thrilling to watch. Drumline works.
Jason

CraigEG

Agent
I just saw drumline tonight.. It was really good... too bad it seems to have gone largely unnoticed here.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night and was very satisfied. I'm going to take my husband to see it too.

I had a disastrous semester of band in Jr. High School, where I bounced from French Horn to Clarinet to Flute and hated every second of it (of course, now I wish I'd kept at it), but other than that, I was pretty clueless about that world, and I thought it was interesting. I love movies that take you places you've never been, whether it's a galaxy far far away, or a collegiate marching band. Even if a movie is bad (which Drumline isn't) you learn something about something you didn't know about. I also liked how the good stuff started when the football players were going OFF the field. That was refreshing!

Even though there were times I wanted to yell at the lead character, and I kinda wish the rivals had shaken hands at the end (it was obvious that they were all at the top of their game, I sat there with my eyes wide in admiration), I otherwise didn't have any problems with it. The acting was good, the drumming was GREAT, it was funny and sweet and provided excellent role models for preteens and teenagers, and is sure to be a big hit on home video for families looking for something that doesn't have profanity or violence.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I know this is an old thread that didn't get a lot of attention; but this is one of the unnoticed Gems I've seen recently, and was caught greatly by surprise at how well done this teen-oriented film is. So many "teen" films tend to sell out; this film preached academic honesty, appreciation of differences, and personal growth. And it did it without all the typical crap comedy. This movie is a home-run, and shows character change, a real rarity in this kind of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks