What's new

***Official Buffy Box Set Season 1 - 7 Discussion Thread (Spoilers ahoy!)*** (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, or that final shot could be the final part of the spell working its magic on her. The point is that you're not supposed to know either way. The point was that Buffy chose her friends and the true comfort that this life provided her, even though it meant being normal, having her mom back, and getting out of her funk... She chose the harder deal, because she felt it was the right thing for her.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Normal Again was the high point of a fantastic season & one of the finest episodes of the entire series for me.

had no problem with that one shot and what it implied as there is plenty to justfiy whatever interpretation you prefer to give it.
not a cop out, 'cause either way its valid, but that doesn't lessen the the fact that a difficult choice had to be made and was.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
About Normal Again:

I do not have a problem with any of the ambiguity of the episode, what I didn't like was the lack of ambiguity of the final shot. It seemed to leave little doubt that Buffy was in fact in a mental institution. If it were all in her head, then the shot could not exist, as there would be no reality for it to exist in.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Well, I've gotten through Smashed on S6, and so far I'm loving this season. I'm finding it a revelation. Wasn't expecting a lot with all the talk about how S6 and S7 were so bad. I got to tell you, I like this one more than S5 to this point. I'm really fascinated by the depressed Buffy and, to a lesser extent, the addicted Willow. Still not happy with what has happened with Spike, and I find the three nerds more annoying than amusing. But I'm really compelled by the overall arc thus far in this season -- more so than any since S2.

I'm guessing the reason this season is so reviled by a lot of people is that it is so different than what has come before and they resent the maturity and the shift in direction.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing the reason this season is so reviled by a lot of people is that it is so different than what has come before and they resent the maturity and the shift in direction.
It could also be that you're only up to "Smashed" at this point. Watch the middle third of the season and then get back to us.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Season six's biggest flaw is the whole "magick as a drug" metaphor that they beat into the ground with Willow in "Wrecked."

I don't mind the fact that it happened, just the way it was handled. It just comes off like on those films (back before videos were commonplace) they'd show us in school about the dangers of drugs. You know the kind where some kid takes drugs at a party, and then they show all of these flashing lights and play wah-wah guitar.

1) A "good" girl gets a "bad" friend.
2) "Bad" friend gives "good" girl a joint.
3) "Good" girl almost gets herself and an innocent charge killed.

It was just laid on so thickly that it didn't work. At least it was only for that one episode, but they'd still throw in some silly addiction/recovery nonsense in later episodes.

In a lot of ways, the metaphor bothered me because if she were an alcoholic or drug user, then her "problem" would be just that. But as a witch, it's not like her magick doesn't serve a purpose, especially in an emergency. So it's perfectly understandable why she'd keep a "stash" around. It's not like demons would attack and someone could help up by firing up a bowl.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
In fact, watch "Wrecked" and get back to us. God, that was a terrible episode. My pick for the worst episode ever of Buffy.
Saw this last night. I agree it was laid on a little thick, and I didn't have a positive reaction to it. But this was far from the worst ep ever. I can name five or six off the top of my head that were worse ... I Robot, You Jane; Go Fish; Where the Wild Things Are (my pick as the absolute worst); Some Assembly Required; Killed By Death.

The thing that really bothered me about Wrecked was Amy disintegrating so quickly. That was so obviously a hamhanded manipulation ... overriding even the Spike storyline as the worst, clumsiest character development. I've been anticipating forever seeing what happens when Amy was de-ratted, and I'm pissed that she was brought back with such a stupid payoff.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I just watched "Seeing Red" for the first time.

All I can say is: Damn!

(Not saying anything further for people who aren't there yet.)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Robert, Agreed.

The whole "bored now...." *shudder*

Took Willow WAY beyound anything Vamp Willow even thought of doing.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
For what it's worth, Amy has never been portrayed with any consistency, at least until season six.

In season one, she isn't a witch at all.

In season two, well, she IS a witch, and is using her magicks irresponsibly on two occasions in the same episode. (To get out of school work and cast Xander's love whammy)

In season three, she's a gothette and seems to be more grounded than in the previous season.

By season six, she's particularly reckless. We could possibly write off the behavior as an after-effect of spending three years as a rat, but it comes off like she had been going to Rack's place for quite a while, so that would mean she'd been playing with such forces BEFORE "Gingerbread." I suppose that could explain the "goth" look she picked up.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Lance, the "bored now" scene actually happens in the next episode, which I watched last night.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That emoticon pretty much represents my exact reaction to "bored now". :eek:
I can hardly wait to load up the DVD tonight! :D

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

This is a bit off topic so sorry if I unintentionally thread crash. I was wondering if Buffy would be worth a rental. I've never seen an episode as I was off put by the whole vampire demons yadda yadda but from what I've heard the writing is sharp and the story arcs are great. Is a love for vampires and horror movie stuff in general required to enjoy the show? I liked X-files (Mostly for the Mulder & Scully characters and the banter between them), I love Alias (Season 2 anyway), I love Gilmore Girls, and I am madly, head over heels in love with the West Wing and Sports Night, would I like Buffy? I know Joss Whedon is a huge fan of Aaron Sorkin. (Didn't he once say he wanted to eat his brain in a magazine interview or something?) I was wondering if I'd like it even though I'm not into all the horror movie stuff. Thoughts?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Based upon the stuff you listed, I'm pretty sure you should give Buffy a shot. The writing is sharp, and the characters are great. Just remember not to give up during the first season, it's not too great and not as arc-driven as the rest of the seasons.
Good luck :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
yeah lance, I was referring to the horrible scene with Willow and Tara... "Your shirt."

It's still very haunting.

Buffy is more about the characters. The monsters and demons are a metaphor for the evils of the world, and life itself.

So it's not particularly grounded on mythology. It sticks to its own rules, but doesn't take itself too seriously... just seriously enough. I'd rent the first season and give it a shot... and remember when watching it, that the parts you LIKE from the first year are largely the only parts that continue in the later seasons. The corny aspects got less obvious, and things were kicked up a notch. In fact, I just started rewatching the show for the heck of it, from the beginning. In just a week or so, I'm already halfway through the second season.

Once again, the show is more about the characters REACTING to the vampires and demons around them... and the writing is extremely witty. The action and stuff is extremely satisfying.

It still amazes me how spot on the characters and stories were, even in the beginning... and how carefully planned everything was, or at least seemed to be.

If you aren't really into the show by the middle of season 2, you probably won't like it. But most people are pretty into the story by the end of the first year, which is just 12 episodes.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Amy.

I just assumed it like this...

Season 1... she wasn't a witch, but her mom was. After a while, she kind of got into her mom's stuff... got a little too into it.

Season 2, she's now a witch, and exploring what it can do for her... and what she can get out of it...

Season 3, before gingerbread, she's reached a point of power... and has seen Rack a lot of times... kind of getting into it more and more... but now she's a rat.

Season 4, when she comes back for a second, she looks almost like "yes!" so it's clear she KNOWS she's a rat when she's a rat... and knows she's not supposed to be a rat...

Season 6, she comes out... feels really pent up after all of that time... and kind of goes wild with the magic cause it's been so long...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm past the halfway point of Season 6 and am using the shows as "scenery" as I begin training for a bicycle ride (can't ride outside at the moment because of allergies). I'm pretty much having the same reaction to the season as I did when it aired. Overall enjoying it, but I find myself hoping for the termination of the Buffy and Spike tryst sooner than it will.

Looking back on the last two seasons I think my general complaint (and I know the complaint of others) is the Buffy character being in a funk and not displaying the confidence and power we would expect. I understand the need to have her be tested without the support of a Watcher, but it was difficult to see her regress after seeing her increasing strength and independence in Seasons 4 and 5. Her death was obviously a "reboot" and I agree with most that the writers painted themselves into a corner with that one.

Of Season 6 my favorites thus far have been, naturally, OMWF and Doublemeat Palace. It was interesting to learn advertisers pulled out over the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks