What's new

***Official Buffy Box Set Season 1 - 7 Discussion Thread (Spoilers ahoy!)*** (1 Viewer)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I think most people would agree that she has a rather distinctive nose, and for a long time this was a big no-no for an aspiring female performer. There was a time there when all female leads of her "type" were suppose to have small, generic noses that turned up slightly on the end and anything else was considered the kiss of death. Happily, this seems to be changing and lots of women with non standard noses are having performing careers and are even (gasp!) considered to be beautiful and sexy. But this is very, very recent.

Deborah

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just bumping this bad-boy up. I had previously watched the occasional Buffy during it's run, but got hooked on FX re-runs over the summer, so I bought all of the box sets. As everyone has said already, fantastic stuff!

Can't wait to pick up Season 5 (hopefully still coming out December 9).

On a side-note...I haven't seen any Angel episodes, but have both sets coming right now. I can't wait to give them a spin.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I was just re-watching season 3 of Buffy, I needed a faith fix. :) Anyway I had just finished an episode with Angel in it and when I turned back to normal TV I landed on a music channel playing a Nick Shea video. For those who don't know that is Jessica Simpson's husband. Anyway I ended up rolling on the floor laughing because Nick looks sooo much like Angel that all I could think about was DB trying to sing on Angel.
I am constantly reminded during season 3 just how amazing the Mayor is as a bad guy. Talk about a charasmatic villan, it has actually made me wonder if the actor playing him has been in anything else? I don't know if I could see him in something else and not think "The Mayor!" but it would be interesting to try. I got this in my head because I saw Wesley on Highlander last night, he played a drugged up diplomats son who commits murder after a hit and run. It made me wonder what other work the Buffy Alumni have performed.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Harry Groener (The Mayor) has been a fairly busy character actor since long before Buffy. His credits are too extensive to list here. Go to IMDB.COM for a full list.

-Scott

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Like many, because of the ridiculous title, I had dismissed this show very early on. However, far off tales of good writing, and arc driven story (which I had been missing since Babylon 5) got me very curious about this show for a while now. So to weeks ago, I finally gave in, and rented S1 from the library.
I will jump straight to the problems :D
My only problem with the show is this: Must Buffy always come out of top at the end of every ep? Consider the "Surprise"/"Innocence" two parter, probably the best episodes so far.
They win by destroying the Armageddon Judge dude, but must Buffy end the show by kicking Angel in the balls and deciding to spare him because she isn't ready? Why must she immediately enjoy the satisfaction of retribution (symbolic kick inthe balls) to the man who hurt her so much? Especially since it happened as a consequence of her own actions? Really where is the drama if the much feared Angelus can be taken out so easily?!
I am glad this show has more continuity than your average series, but I still think the writers are two eager to end every episode on a semi/happy to happy note.
I would have had Angel decide to spare Buffy, to prolong her pain in knowing that she brought this (him) upon the world. I would have ended the episode with the utter psychological defeat of our heroes.
That would have compelled me to watch the rest. I am going to anyway, but I would be far more eager.
Perhaps Babylon 5 has spoiled me: Some of important eps end with this "Holy Shit, everything is going to hell" feeling (it did get that feeling with the first half of Buffy's S1 finale, with the Master). And sometimes, it only gets worse with the next episode. There is no reset, victory doesn't come easily, if at all. Characters are changed forever.
Also (and I canonly blame myself for this) I absolutely hate the fact that I knew major plot points of this series before I even started watching:
- Angel turns Evil
- Buffy kills Angel
- Buffy dates Spike
- Buffy's mother dies.
- Buffy dies.
In any case, I think I forgot to say that this is a great show, extremely addictive. I am completely immersed in that universe, and cannot get enough of it. My relative lack of enthusiasm about picking up after "innocence" is just that, RELATIVE. In thruth, I simply cannot wait to continue the show. It feels good to know that even without the reportedly bad later seasons, I am only at the begining of the good stuff (right? right? :D)).
A question for the fans, how would you compare Angel to Buffy (the series, not the characters ;) ). I am a sucker for arcs and continuity.
Please keep in mind that I am only in the middle of S2.
--
H

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Keep in mind that it is both arc-driven and episodic television, so that they try to make individual episodes (or at least two-parters) that have a beginning, middle, & end that is somewhat dramatically satisfying and feels like a whole. That being said, given your comments, I think you will be satisfied with how S2 plays out, even knowing what you know.
As for "The Judge", I liked how this seemingly unstoppable force of evil who has kiled scores in ancient battles would be surprised to see a piece of modern weaponry that could take him out in a millisecond. That defies expectation as much as it deflates it, which I found amusing.
His puzzled reaction to the weapon before he is dispatched reminded me of that joke about: "I think if Abraham Lincoln were alive today, he would say, 'Ahhhhhh! Giant metal bird!!!'"
Regards,

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
A question for the fans, how would you compare Angel to Buffy (the series, not the characters ). I am a sucker for arcs and continuity.
After debating over and over, I think I actually prefer Angel to Buffy. I'd definitely give it a spin if I were you, especially if you already like Buffy.

As for the continuity thing, Angel S1 is pretty much stand-alone episodes. There is an overall continuity with the characters, but no real arc. It mainly serves to introduce the characters and the surroundings.

Season 2 is primarily arc based, and S3 and S4 are totally arc based. So far S5 has been a bit of a mix. The first have was mainly stand-alone, and the last half has been pretty arc driven.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Buffy despite it's problems. If you are only mid-S2, the best days are definitely still ahead of you. Let us know how much you like Season 3 (my personal favorite).

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The types of things you're looking for, the whole "Buffy NOT coming out on top" thing definitely plays a major role in a lot of later episodes.

The series was always about female empowerment, so the overall message was that you can beat this woman down repeatedly, but she will always rise... even if it doesn't happen right away.

And even though multiple points have been spoiled for you, there are MANY more surprises in store, and even the ones you know won't take away from the impact.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Passion. Oh My God. This is the true demonstration of evil, darkness of soul (or lack thereof) I was hoping for. Now I know why Angelus is so evil. And it is better than anything I had expected - which is funny, because looking back now, it's consistent with his methods.
I now see I spoke too soon. The psychological defeat I wanted to see definitely occured in this episode. Morale has never been so low.
I luv it! :)
--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I caught up with Buffy during FX's run a few years ago, the episodes were very addictive, especially when it was a new Buffy (to me) every weekday for almost 4 months straight.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
A question for the fans, how would you compare Angel to Buffy (the series, not the characters ). I am a sucker for arcs and continuity.
Angel does feel more like the long story arcs are the purpose of the show, whereas Buffy's long story arcs felt kind of like just background support for the show. Buffy's long arcs were for the fans, but Angels were the meat of the show and therefore have to be paid attention to by all viewers. So, arcwise, Angel.

But how would I compare them in other ways?

The biggest contrast with Buffy is that the folks on Angel are miserable most often. I burned through Angel season two and three every other night mainly out of the desperate hope that SOMETHING good and nice would happen to these nice people. Hoping hoping hoping. But... But the Angel show is big on suffering. Perhaps more like real life in that way.

Buffy on the other hand is a blast - the people there are having fun, they're often smiling, they're often -- ee gads -- HAPPY! Even when bad things happen.

So in many ways Buffy is a more enjoyable show, while Angel is more for masochists.

To take a cue from the current Arts and Entertainment section, Buffy is Jesus Christ Superstar, Angel is the Passion of the Christ. Different takes on a similar mileau. Mileu? However it is spelled.

Angel has some great supporting characters, particularly ones with green skin, who are always fun to watch even if the story is a downer.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Passion is one of the best episodes of Buffy, IMO. I never fail to get chills when Giles goes to his bedroom only to find Jenny lying there, dead.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Holadem, sounds like you and I are in the same boat.
For years now, I rallied against watching Buffy. I don't know why. Partly the title...partly the cheese-fest of a motion picture... dunno.
Well, a friend of mine sat me down and MADE me watch "Hush". It was fun, and wonderfully written, but I carried on with my non-interest.
Then, my wife started watching re-runs a couple of weeks ago. She'd be watching these as I got home from work...so I'd usually catch at least half an episode. Then, one day, I saw the ep where Angelus got his soul back, and what happened after that. It grabbed my emotions and shook 'em silly.
So, to make a long story longer, I went out and bought Season 1. We tore through it. Bought Season 2. Tore through it. We just finished Season 4 last night, and ran out to buy Season 5. LOVE this show.
You know, in retrospect, I did the same thing with Babylon 5. Couldn't take it seriously, for one reason or another, and didn't watch. Discovered how good it was long after the fact.
Man, this show is just a blast. Now I gotta start picking up Angel. My wallet is experiencing cramps.... :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Man, this show is just a blast. Now I gotta start picking up Angel. My wallet is experiencing cramps....
I hear that. I went through my Buffy/Angel insanity last summer. I had watched Buffy on and off over the years, but got re-hooked watching FX reruns during the middle of the night (or early morning depending on how you look at it). I ended up buying all of the current Buffy and Angel sets, as well as bumming recorded episodes off of friends. I ended up watching all 4 seasons of Angel in like 10 days. Crazy stuff :)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i've always thought buffy was stupid. I'd see it on tv and think, god this sucks. i even saw the one with glory's snake and was like, that is just dumb.

so i borrowed my sis in laws season 1 of buffy to prove to myself how stupid the show was. sad thing is, i liked it. To me, this is a show that has to be watched in order. I still see episodes on tv once in a while, and think, oh thats dumb, but then remember that i liked it when i was watching the dvds in order. I started watching them before xmas, and now 5 months later, i've made my way thru 5 seasons of buffy and 3 of angel, and im actually havign withdrawels from not having one or the other to watch, and im watching them all for the first time, so that makes it even better.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The show doesn't work if you watch just one episode. It's good, but not something the average viewer would be very interested in.

If you sit down and watch it from the beginning, it's just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks