What's new

Official 2023 Oscar Nominations And Discussions Thread (1 Viewer)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I loved Tems' cover of Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry as used in the first Black Panther: Wakanda Forever trailer.... but this shows little empathy or respect for the folks seated behind her.

For example, how would she feel if someone blocked her view?

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Stunning (and sad) that on this forum there is more outrage about her outfit - and even inappropriate statements linking her to Black Panther and seating her in the "back" - than about whether or not AMPAS should have included Robert Blake and Tom Sizemore in the in memoriam segment.
I wanted to give you a heads up that you may have missed Post #423.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Inconsiderate people come in all varieties and no one gets a free pass, IMO.
The whole thing is fascinating.

The Academy has strict dress codes for men, but the ladies...

They could have created rules for this kind of thing after the Gaga hat, but didn't.

Tems's outfit WAS incredible, but post-Gaga, the Academy could have made it clear that any headpiece over a certain height or width must be removable/removed before the ceremony begins, or the wearer re-seated.

I think the Academy wants the ladies to be stylish, but didn't anticipate anything quite this intrusive.

And having failed to act after Gaga, they're between a rock and a hard place now, as any new rule will be seen by some as directed at Tems specifically.

Hollywood! :eek:

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to know what anyone else felt about the montage of film clips that were shown during the salute to Warner Brothers 100th anniversary...

An amazing output of great films, to be sure, but I found it a bit disingenuous that some of the films included were not really WB films at all. That is, just because WB acquired the ownership rights to them many years after they were first released, (imo) that does not make them Warner Brothers films if they had nothing to with producing and distributing them in their initial release.

Just from memory, I spotted three in particular (chime in if there were others): North By Northwest; Ben Hur ('62); and 2001 ASO.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'd like to know what anyone else felt about the montage of film clips that were shown during the salute to Warner Brothers 100th anniversary...

An amazing output of great films, to be sure, but I found it a bit disingenuous that some of the films included were not really WB films at all. That is, just because WB acquired the ownership rights to them many years after they were first released, (imo) that does not make them Warner Brothers films if they had nothing to with producing and distributing them in their initial release.

Just from memory, I spotted three in particular (chime in if there were others): North By Northwest; Ben Hur ('62); and 2001 ASO.

Yeah, we spoke about that in the Warner Archives thread.

Not only were some of the films not produced by the studio, but as usual, they concentrated mainly on the past 50 years which is right in line with all the other sizzler reels celebrating the studio.

It's as if they were catering to Generation Alpha who have no memory of any films prior to 1970 (and that's a bit of an exaggeration).

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I didn't really watch any of the pre-show coverage, Did anyone interview Andrea Riseborough?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Singin' in the Rain.
I think he's asking for movies included in the celebration montage that were not originally produced by Warner. I think these three were all WB originals?

Never mind. :D

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Great article on Sarah slaying it at the 95th:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...-being-heard-and-silencing-the-naysayers.html

Also loved this from the article:

As Polley told Vanity Fair during awards season, when male customs agents would ask her to state her purpose of travel and Polley shared the title of her film, she was met with eye rolls and groans. After this happened around 20 times, “I kind of snapped” at Logan Airport in Boston, Polley said. “I just went, ‘If I told you there was a movie called “12 Angry Men,” would you go and see it?’ And he was like, ‘Maybe.’ I said, ‘Well, I just want you to sit with that.’”

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's interesting, but it also widely expands the rules that had been in place for decades even before streaming was a thing. Didn't studios previously only have to open films in LA and NY for at least one week within the calendar year for Oscar eligibility? Granted, most of them would then go wide in the early months of the new year, but it wasn't a requirement.

As noted in the article, it may also affect small indie studio films that may not be able to support such a release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe that’s a good thing, though. I never really liked the idea that if you rented a theater in L.A. and showed your movie for a week to an empty auditorium before putting it on TV, where it was always meant to land, your movie was now just as eligible for recognition as movies that theaters actually chose to book and audiences decided to come and see.

If the Academy wants to emphasize the importance of theatrical releases, then to me it makes sense to have the definition of a theatrical release be something more than a technicality.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think the problem here is that a movie that's made for a streaming platform (and to be watched in one's home on TV) is probably looked down upon in certain quarters as just a made-for-TV movie with delusions of grandeur. It seems to me that there are certainly arguments to be made that at least some of them are on the level of most theatrical films. And if theatrical box office is dominated by SF/fantasy/actions franchises, streaming originals may be the last hope for the more art-house type of film.

The question that's to be begged becomes: how much does AMPAS want to hold onto the idea of theatrical release for eligibility?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks