What's new

Official 2023 Oscar Nominations And Discussions Thread (2 Viewers)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
But TV movies have existed for decades.

They have an Emmy category called "Outstanding Television Movie"!
Those were films for mostly for old school linear or public network television, and therefore limited in subject matter highly reined in by network "standards and practices." I mean ads have to be sold... From 1966 to the early 90s those winners were largely split between both (Brian's Song anyone ?) From the early 90s, dominated by HBO and then Netflix. Last year, Disney +'s CHIP AND DALE RESCUE RANGERS. I think we are talking about a very different animal when directors like Fukunaga, Scorsese, etc. are making films for Netflix for an adult audience with an R rating...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cable networks, on the other hand, originally had their own award: the CableACE Award, because the Emmys wouldn't consider any original cable network programming until circa 1990 (if memory serves).
It was earlier than that, I believe. Angela Lansbury and George Hearn both earned CableACE awards for their performances in the taped version of Sweeney Todd which aired on A&E. But they were also nominated for Emmys for that taping (stupidly in the same category of Outstanding Performance in Music, Variety, or Comedy; Hearn won). This was in 1982.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
During a time when the Oscars meant a lot more than they do today.

1681664797901.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
During a time when the Oscars meant a lot more than they do today.

View attachment 181605

Damn! That's for sure! Look at that lineup.

As someone who used to skip school or work on a Monday, growing up, just to watch the Sunday night Oscars, I haven't watched a show in years. They really mean nothing to me anymore.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And with a 9:00 start, apparently they used to be able to do the show in about 2 hours, rather than the current 3-4.

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
And with a 9:00 start, apparently they used to be able to do the show in about 2 hours, rather than the current 3-4.
Ever since I purchased my first VCR in the early '90s, and now that I've had a DVR for about fifteen years, it's never taken me more than about an hour or at the very most an hour and a half to watch any Oscar telecast. And even that length of viewing still feels like a long slog.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Back in those days I never even knew when the program was on every year until I saw it listed in the TV Guide!
Interesting that they were on a THURSDAY that year.

From the first telecast in 1953 through 1962, except for one year, they started at 7:30pm in Hollywood, 10:30pm on the East Coast!

1963-1979: 7pm in Hollywood. (Robert's listing must be Central time.) I started watching them during this time frame in the Eastern time zone and it would be 12:30am - 1am when they were finishing.

1980: 6pm
1981: 7pm (Maybe because they were postponed one day.)
1982-1998: 6pm.
1999-present: 5pm or 5:30pm depending

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Academy Approves Major Change To Best Picture Eligibility Rules.

• Expanded theatrical run of seven days, consecutive or non-consecutive, in 10 of the top 50 U.S. markets, no later than 45 days after the initial release in 2024;
  • For late-in-the-year films with expansions after January 10, 2025, distributors must submit release plans to the Academy for verification;
  • Release plans for late-in-the-year films must include a planned expanded theatrical run, as described above, to be completed no later than January 24, 2025;
  • Non-U.S. territory releases can count toward two of the 10 markets;
  • Qualifying non-U.S. markets include the top 15 international theatrical markets plus the home territory for the film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is important to note that these rules go into effect for the 2025 ceremony honoring films released in 2024. It will not impact films in the current 2023-24 cycle.

While I understand and appreciate the intention of supporting theatrical releases, I think it is potentially a very risky move to require such a wide release for small films from indie distributors prior to the nominations announcement. We'll see what happens.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
It is important to note that these rules go into effect for the 2025 ceremony honoring films released in 2024. It will not impact films in the current 2023-24 cycle.

While I understand and appreciate the intention of supporting theatrical releases, I think it is potentially a very risky move to require such a wide release for small films from indie distributors prior to the nominations announcement. We'll see what happens.
They did it for decades upon decades. They'll adapt,.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yup! I think he'll easily cinch Best Director and (possibly) Best Picture

We still have 4 months of movies left, so I don't like to view anything as a "sure thing".

But boy, "Oppy" sure feels like it should be the winner unless something remarkable "overtakes" it.

-Big hit
-Great reviews
-Serious subject
-"Epic" scope
-Director who has "paid his dues"

Just feels like it checks all the Oscar boxes.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Killers of the Flower Moon will win more Academy Awards than Oppenheimer and maybe will win Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
And even one of Scorcese's best films (IMO), Goodfellas, wasn't a slam dunk.

I think it should have won over Dances with Wolves (which was also strong), but didn't.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
We still have 4 months of movies left, so I don't like to view anything as a "sure thing".

But boy, "Oppy" sure feels like it should be the winner unless something remarkable "overtakes" it.

-Big hit
-Great reviews
-Serious subject
-"Epic" scope
-Director who has "paid his dues"

Just feels like it checks all the Oscar boxes.

I think Nolan is certainly due, but I’m thinking that Barbie is actually going to give Oppy a run for it’s money (unless something else comes along later this year)

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I will reserve judgment on this film until I see it, but I have a feeling Gladstone will be nominated. Best director race will be heavily towards nolan and gerwig ( one is due a oscar and the other one is the future)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks