What's new

Odyssey Audio amps (1 Viewer)

Robert M

Agent
I have ordered and will be receiving three Odyssey mono blocks today. I have of course not listened to these amps,as they are sold factory direct only, but have read posts on other forums that convinced me to take a chance. I will be replacing the front sound stage of my 5800 with these amps, and look forward to a new experiance.

These seem to have a long break in period, and I am wondering if there are any owners that can comment on these amps during and after break in.

Thanks

Bob

Salvador

Second Unit
Robert, if you don't mind can you post a breakdown of the costs (shipping, taxes, brokerage, etc) of getting odyssey amps here in canada. I'm also interested in getting a Stratos (not anytime soon though) and want to see more or less how much i'll be shelling out.

thanks

Brandon B

Second Unit
I only have the HT3, so you should be looking at a step up from my experience. It has something like 500 hours on it now.

First off, I should say I don't really know how much I subscribe to the break in theory. But my amp did seem to improve over time to me. I also seemed to enjoy listening to music more if I left the amp always on as Klaus suggests. I can't tell you if this was a real difference or only a perceived one. It seems likely to me it was real, as I really, really wanted there to be no difference as I greatly resent paying the So. Cal utility company to keep the amp warmed up.

I think you will find that you are pleased with them right out of the box, and that you will appreceiate them more as you continue to use them. It's up for debate as to exactly why, though.

One other factor in my system was I was listening to a pair of Magnepan MMG's that were in the latter stages of their breakin period when I received the Odyssey, so there were other variables in play.

BB

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I know this sounds totally stupid, but I almost want to buy one of these amps just because Klaus and I have the same last name! I've never met another Bunge outside of my immediate family. I do know I have relatives in Ohio that I've never met though.

Also, I've heard these are some really great sounding amps so I hopefully wouldn't be taking too much of a risk.

Brian

J

John Morris

From the reports of folks that own these amps, I believe that they are very nice. So nice, that I looked into buying some of them to try. Then, I found out the following:

That you pay for them and wait up to 6 weeks to actually get them; and, that the designer/builder believes that you should use them for a total period of more than 6 weeks(total run time, not ownership) to fully realize their sound and evaluate them. Unfortunately, the company will not take them back at that point if you don't like them... Ugh. So, according to them, you just have to buy them sound unheard, without being able to evaluate them fully to decide if you like them... no returns.

Okay, so my opinion may seem unfair because they do offer a 30 day return policy. Still, if the owner believes and recommends that you run in the amps for 6 weeks to fully realize their worth, shouldn't the return period be maybe 8 weeks???

Just Wondering?

I'd love to try these amps but I just can't afford the risk...IMO. YMMV!

Brandon B

Second Unit
A valid point, John, but you can probably get an idea whether you like the amp in less time than that. While Klaus and many of his other customers have mentioned a "blossoming of the soundstage" after this period, I haven't really run into that yet. Notwithstanding, I still really, really like my Stratos. Nor did I find it bad out of the box, like some of the reviews mention.

And if you ran the amp 24/7, wouldn't you have a few days before the 30 to evaluate it? Rather inconvenient, but doable if you're that concerned.

Also, it was 6 weeks to ship when I got mine last fall, but Klaus supposely was working to get that time down. Is it still at 6 weeks?

Anyway, I wouldn't say your opinion seems unfair, since an in-home audition with your equipment at peak performance is a reasonable expectation for a direct sales item. But I haven't yet seen a review of this amp where the reviewer needed the full 600 hours to decide they liked it enough to keep it.

BB

J

John Morris

Anyway, I wouldn't say your opinion seems unfair, since an in-home audition with your equipment at peak performance is a reasonable expectation for a direct sales item. But I haven't yet seen a review of this amp where the reviewer needed the full 600 hours to decide they liked it enough to keep it.
Brandon: I understand and appreciate your point, but how can you have it both ways? Either 30 days is enough to fully appreciate the impact of a amp, OR it isn't. If it isn't, then wouldn't you expect the return policy to extend through that manufacturer stated period??? Does it take 30 days(minus shipping) to fully appreciate this amp, or is it closer to 42 days?Something just seems fishy here to me?

Brandon B

Second Unit
I'm saying I think 30 days is enough to determine whether you like the amp.

I am agreeing, however, that Klaus' statements regarding break-in are not consistent with this period length. But I think it will not matter, that you would probably find you liked the amp before that period had ended.

I don't think there are any fish present, I think it's more a matter of Odyssey approaching breakin as an issue for someone already owning on the amp understanding its performance, vs. the trial period being set as a matter of good business practices.

However, kind of all conjecture on my part. Have you asked Klaus why the apparent disparity?

BB

J

John Morris

I'm saying I think 30 days is enough to determine whether you like the amp.
Brandon: I agree. In fact, much of my distrust with this amp comes from Klaus's instructions that says that the amp is not up to full standards until 6 weeks of continuous use. Maybe, Klaus would extend the return policy to 6 weeks upon request. Maybe you should give it a try and let us know?

Brandon B

Second Unit
I've had mine since October. So it wouldn't really apply.

As for trust, while you might not see eye to eye with Klaus, he is definitely service oriented. I had a couple of shipping related issues with my amp (mishandling caused a couple problems) which he fixed quickly and cheerfully.

I also would be really interested in your opinion of these if you ever do get to hear one, as you have listened to an awful lot of different equipment compared to me, and am curious how the stratos compares.

BB

J

John Morris

Brandon: Distrust, Mistrust, trust period, is not an issue with Klaus. I should not have said anything near that when I previously spoke. I believe Klaus is simply honest! Still, when I spoke with him, he would not budge from his 6 week figure nor his current warranty. He, also said that I'd know if I wanted to keep his amps by 4 weeks, but, for me, the discongruity remained. So, is the 6 week burn in, BS, or recommended? If Klaus gave me a 90 day test period, then I'd try a few of his amps...

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
judging by the reviews over at audioreview, this amp looks like a winner to me. All 5/5 ratings! Too much $ for me though, ATI and B&K amps are enough for me and are winners also.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
A few words from an Odyssey owner on the disparity between break-in period and trial period:

I also had questions associated with this trial period and the disparity, just as John had mentioned, and did talk to Klaus about it during pre-sale mode. Klaus is flexible with respect to the trial period, if one needs that flexibility. My feeling is that he gauges this on a case-by-case basis based on discussion with the individual, both pre- and post-sales. Given the direct purchase model that he supports and the size of his operation, I think it is necessary for him to be strict with the trial period during pre-sales mode to avoid folks simply ordering his equipment on a whim or maybe doing shootouts with other amps (which can still be done within the provided time interval). Thus, I think he gauges one's interest and sincerity in purchasing his products and intent on keeping if product is liked; he can't afford many returns.

In post-sales mode, he will work with you to make sure that if you're interested in the product but it's not up to snuff yet, he'll typically let you try longer. When it boils down to it, it's low risk from his perspective to let you trial it longer if you're still on the fence as the 30 day period closes. I had a discussion with him about this related to speakers I had purchased direct with only a 14 day trial period (not his speakers), and this was his thought exactly. With all this said, I had enough info within the trial period to make my decision (but see below).

As far as my experiences with break-in, to me I noticed the biggest change between the 2nd and 4th weeks, as in-between I had not done critical listening (just playing to break in amps and speakers). My observation was some better imaging and the ability of the Odyssey to continue to clearly discriminate between instruments even as the volume level rose to where I am uncomfortable listening (and beyond). Most other amps I had heard start to smear the instruments together before this point (although in fairness, my volume threshold may be lower for my room than the typical dealer room - who knows). The only dimension of sound I think I particularly noticed after the 4th week was more control of bass frequencies. Listening to bass in analog bypass mode with each of my mains' 8" woofer is as satisfying as listening to my CS Ultra via digital in (at 80Hz xover).

One other thing I note, for which I really don't have an explanation: If my Stratos is off for more than a short time (let's say at least an hour), I lose something from the overall sound wrt the distinctness and imaging of instruments for about 2 days thereafter. Thus, I leave the amp on all the time. I was skeptical about this before purchasing, but no more.

Doug

J

John Morris

Doug: It doesn't seem like you can ask more than that from a manufacturer. Do you have to play the amp during the entire 6 week break in period, or just leave the amp turned on?

Brandon B

Second Unit
I believe Klaus means the breakin period is for use, not just power up.

He also says that it take 1-3 days to settle back in if it is turne off for any period of time. I would doubt this myself if I did not have one. I come from a technical background and have problems with this kind of belief, but every time I turned off the amp (our electrical bills were through the roof last fall) which was about a dozen times, there was a noticeable difference than when I lft it on.

BB

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I come from a technical background and have problems with this kind of belief, but every time I turned off the amp (our electrical bills were through the roof last fall) which was about a dozen times, there was a noticeable difference than when I lft it on.
Anyone know how many watts the Stratos draws in power-on/standby? I can't imagine it's enough to effect an AC bill much at all, but would love to know otherwise.

Brandon B

Second Unit
Supposedly about 90 watts. Not much, but we were into several levels of penaltiees for high useage as we lived in Japan last year and our housesitter used no electricity, so when Californina instituted the "reduce your useage 20% over last year" plan, we were screwed.

BB

Scott H

Supporting Actor
90 watts is more than I would have guessed. Where did you read/hear that? I would really like to know for sure. Has anyone asked Klaus?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
John,

Do you have to play the amp during the entire 6 week break in period, or just leave the amp turned on?
Per what Brandon said, it's actual playing time that Klaus asserts, and I did have my amps running at low to moderate volume most of the time the first 4 weeks or so.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks