1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Odd Click

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samuel Des, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

My receiver will occasionally emit an odd click, a sound that is similar to the snap from static discharge. The click is not transmitted to the speakers, but seems to be generated within the chassis. This occurs whether the receiver is on or off; it does *not* seem to occur when I unplug it, or turn off the master switch. The frequency with which the snap-click sound occurs seems to be increasing. (Though I cannot say for certain.) Is this sound a symptom for a developing problem? Or is it simply a sign of normal usage/wear-and-tear/whatever?
    Thanks,
    Sam
    [Edited last by Samuel Des on August 29, 2001 at 12:40 AM]

2. Samuel Des

In thinking over my setup, I wondered whether having my cable box on top of the receiver might cause this popping sound. Last night, with stand-by "off," the click went off again. It's not enough to annoy -- I only notice it every now and again -- but I worry whether the sound is a warning for a problem on down the line.
    ------------------
    SAM

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

this is interesting. so, you are saying this click happens whether the receiver is on or off?
    have you tried unplugging it? is it completely random?
    you also state it's happening more frequently? i'd say (if it's worth it to you) to have it checked out.
    btw - i wouldn't place anything on top of the receiver - especially if the vents are on top. you'll prevent heat from escaping and cook whatever is on top.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

In humid or damp conditions Capacitors can discharge. I had a television when new (first 24 hours) do the same thing. It was most likely stored in a damp or humid warehouse before it was delivered.

5. Samuel Des

6. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    This also happens to both my tv and reciever. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection