What's new

Odd Click (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My receiver will occasionally emit an odd click, a sound that is similar to the snap from static discharge. The click is not transmitted to the speakers, but seems to be generated within the chassis. This occurs whether the receiver is on or off; it does *not* seem to occur when I unplug it, or turn off the master switch. The frequency with which the snap-click sound occurs seems to be increasing. (Though I cannot say for certain.) Is this sound a symptom for a developing problem? Or is it simply a sign of normal usage/wear-and-tear/whatever?
Thanks,
Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on August 29, 2001 at 12:40 AM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
In thinking over my setup, I wondered whether having my cable box on top of the receiver might cause this popping sound. Last night, with stand-by "off," the click went off again. It's not enough to annoy -- I only notice it every now and again -- but I worry whether the sound is a warning for a problem on down the line.
------------------
SAM

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this is interesting. so, you are saying this click happens whether the receiver is on or off?
have you tried unplugging it? is it completely random?
you also state it's happening more frequently? i'd say (if it's worth it to you) to have it checked out.
btw - i wouldn't place anything on top of the receiver - especially if the vents are on top. you'll prevent heat from escaping and cook whatever is on top.
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

MarkO

Second Unit
In humid or damp conditions Capacitors can discharge. I had a television when new (first 24 hours) do the same thing. It was most likely stored in a damp or humid warehouse before it was delivered.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I know cable boxes are known to click occasionally, especially digital cable boxes, since your cable box is on top of the receiver could this clicking be coming from the cable box?
Excellent diagnosis! I was able to "capture" the sound: I happened to pass by the setup, and definitely heard it coming from the cable box! Wow... Thanks for the info, guys. It *was* a little strange to hear the click when the receiver was on or off.
I'll be moving that cable box!
------------------
SAM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks