What's new

Integra DRX-2.1 Clicking When In Standby Mode (1 Viewer)

shawnmurphy1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn Murphy
Hello! I have an Integra DRX-2.1 AVR that I love, and while it makes the known clicking noise when switching audio formats (when a tv show is being broadcast in 5.1 Dolby and a commercial comes on in 2.1, it will click when switching amps), it also has been making a clicking noise several mornings a week around 5:30 AM CST, give or take a few minutes, while in standby mode (plugged in, power off). I can't seem to figure out why. Is it searching for a firmware update via the net (not that it would be able to find one now that Integra has stripped their website of all production information with the US division being purchased by VOXX International)? Any recommendations for why this is occurring would be helpful. I'm fearful something is possibly going out on one of the boards, and while I still have one year left on my warranty, I'd like to be assured it's not going down a critical path. Also, about once every two weeks the receiver loses connectivity with Wi-fi and the ability to control it via the Integra Control Pro app, but a simple unplug of the unit and plug back in will resolve that. Thanks!!!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
It might be normal but I doubt it since no Integra owners have responded. Ive never heard that from any of my AVRs but Ive never owned Integra either. Process of elimination; start by disabling wifi updates and network. Then disable HDMI pass-through. Power off all sources. Disconnect sources one at a time ect.

BTW Ive never had an AVR that had solid and reliable wifi function. I now hardwire anything in the cabinet that needs regular internet, AVR cause I use Tidal, blu ray player cause I use netflix/youtube ect...

shawnmurphy1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn Murphy
Thanks Type A. My previous Integra AVR (DTR-5.5) did the same switching/clicking noise when changing amps between sound fields, and it didn't have HDMI or Wifi. I've read about it being a common thing with Onkyo, and Integra is the high-end, custom division of Onkyo...think of Integra models being one step above the Onkyo RZ lineup of AVRs. Even though Integra removed everything from their U.S. website, I was still able to grab a recent firmware update this weekend for my receiver (via Wifi), but I'm not certain what it fixed - hopefully the wifi issue. Firmware updates don't automatically download, so there is not setting to turn them off, only to turn notifications regarding a new update, which I currently have off already. I'm not worried about the clicking because my DTR-5.5 did it for 11 years and never had a problem, it's just I didn't hear it when it was in Standby mode. That's my only real concern.

Last edited:

thoward232

Auditioning
Real Name
Tee Howard
I am having the same issue. I wanna say it started in summer 2020. It has gotten worse and happens all the time. Some nights the AVR turns itself on, does nothing for 2 minutes, then powers itself off. I don't think it is the internet firmware update as I have never seen it execute and update when it does this. It also seems to do this clicking noise randomly when watching TV (using HDMI-ARC in 5.1), so its not just a standby issue. Seems like something in the power supply is going bad.

thoward232

Auditioning
Real Name
Tee Howard
I am considering a new amp. Not sure if my DRX-2 is worth repair. If I knew the failed component I could replace it?

Possible relay cold solder joints?

shawnmurphy1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn Murphy
Mine stopped doing it after I disabled auto-update - I guess it was checking for an update each morning while in Standby mode. It still makes the clicking noise when switching sound fields, such as when I'm watching a movie on tv that is being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 and goes to an old crappy commercial that is in 2.0 Stereo, but I can handle that because it is normal with Onkyo and Integra. You should be fine. Here is a good little discussion:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks