OAR outrage in Minneapolis (!?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    A friend forwarded me the following article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. It deals with OAR violations on DVD, focusing on recent Disney releases.
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/2877512.html
    Interestingly, the article ends with:

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    FYI, the author of the article, Randy A Salas, is a fairly active HTF member. [​IMG]
    DJ

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It's nice to see a mainstream piece that gets it right! [​IMG]

4. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Good job on the article, Randy!
    I only have one bad thing to tell you about it. That's about your "In stores next week" listing. The 2 WB titles you mention (Innerspace and Oh, God!) dont' street until 7/9...6/11 is only their order-due dates! And Brideshead Revisited steets on 6/25. The only ones you were right about were Buffy, Yonkers, and Genius. Sorry to be the messenger! [​IMG]

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up, David. That was an outdated "In stores next week" list, compiled from an old release schedule before I left on vacation and never updated. It didn't run in the actual newspaper--I had to make more room for my rant and the Widescreen 101 blurb--but it never was cut from the computer file that went online.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

*sniff* This makes me proud to be a Minnesotan. [​IMG]
    Nice work, Randy!
    -Dave

8. David Lambert

The only problem is, is that a certain Minnesota-based chain already GETS the concept of selling OAR releases!
    Randy, do you think your column could be syndicated out to any newspapers in Arkansas? [​IMG]

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Mr. Salas seems to have a decent outlook on DVD issues. I've read several articles at the Star Tribune website recently and other than a few minor factual errors on street dates and format availability, they are mostly well written.
    However, I have to take some issue with this item from his "DVD Notebook: Best of 2000" list:

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

While that may be true that the movie is the most important, I get a little miffed too when good documentaries are left off the disc to make room for a DTS track. Of course, nowadays most docs are bad EPK fluff. Thank God for Laurent Bouzereau (sp?) and the folks at Criterion and Anchor Bay. These people consistently put out quality supplements.

11. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Hopefully the studios are starting to realize that the hardcore movie fans are the ones driving the home video business. Most of the early DVD owners bought 20+ DVDs a year and are still buying at a fast rate. J6P is equating DVD to VHS with better picture so they may buy a few more titles at first, but I bet most of them will be buying around 5 or 6 titles per year and will rent mostly. They will snap up things like Harry Potter, but will mostly over look catalog titles that are being released new to the format.

Again to the studios, OAR or no money for you.

12. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

13. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I also enjoy the dts track over the extras. I don't mind if the studios release separate versions one with a bunch of extras and one with less extras and dts.[​IMG]
    Best of both worlds.
    Matt

14. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Why the f--- does it show Snow Dogs (released only in pan and scan) as the #2 best-selling disc??? [​IMG]

16. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I've compared DTS and DD 5.1 at my Uncle's place. There is a difference. DTS seems to have better and cleaner separation. I have Rush Hour 2 on DVD and it has DTS ES, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 2.0, and the Commentary track along with the Infinifilm stuff. I don't see why all the DVD companies can't fit DTS on a DVD when they did on Rush Hour 2. Rush Hour 2 has TONS of stuff on it. And it probably would fit more on it.

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Rush Hour 2 is also < 90 minutes long.

18. Randy A Salas

Thanks to everyone who posted nice things here and to all who have emailed me privately. I'm just returning to work after some vacation time, so I'm playing catch-up. I'll reply to all of the emails by the end of the week.

Malcolm, I'm not sure what you mean by errors in format availability. If you could take the time to email and clarify, it would help me be more vigilant about making sure such mistakes don't happen in the future. Thanks.

As far as the whole DTS/DD debate, it's off the topic of this thread and I won't get into this hotly contested, complex issue here. I will say, though, that I worded that write-up from two years ago extremely carefully. The key phrase was "meaningful extras." I'll take the latter any day over a duplicative feature such as an alternate 5.1 track.

19. Randy A Salas

20. David Lambert

Heh...my local paper is a SH! I hate that paper, but I'll look for your article nonetheless. It will be great to see it locally, and see what people think! [​IMG]