What's new

NYTimes looking for TV on DVD interviewees (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Hi Andrea!

Many of my reasons for collecting TV shows on DVD have been written up by my fellow HTF members. But there are a couple of things they have not mentioned.

1. On the MASH sets, there is the option to play the episodes without the laugh track. I have read interviews with the cast members over the years, and the one thing they consistently complained about was the laugh track. I never understood why the studio felt they had to include it, since I could figure out for myself what was funny. In addition, it sometimes drowned out the punchlines.

2. "On my schedule, at my convenience" is one great advantage. Seeing an all time favorite moment, be it dramatic or side-splittingly funny, whenever you want, however many times you want, is even better.

3. Being able to stop, "rewind" and see certain parts again, to make sure that you have not missed something is wonderful, too. Sometimes, either my brother or I will be howling with laughter at something, and since both of us tend to bray like jackasses when we laugh, it is very easy to miss something.

4. Favorite episode of the show in question is available at a moment's notice, no waiting around until rerun season or syndication. Plus, on DVD, the episodes of the show are in order, so you don't find out "whodunnit" before finding out the circumstances of the big mystery.

5. Best of all, I have won quite a few bets with my brother, having the show(s) on DVD. We will be reminiscing about something, and disagree with what was said or done on the episode in question. I'll pop the disk into the player, and lo and behold, about 80% of the time, I have been RIGHT. I love rubbing his nose into it!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I've got something to the order of about 800 discs right now. However, I havent bought an actual *movie* for quite some time (well, I did pick up the MGM Midnight Movie double feature of Land that Time Forgot/People that Time Forgot - but that doesnt count because it's only a replacement for my single feature version). For the most part, all my DVD buying has been TV shows.

Why? A number of reasons.

The main one is that broadcast network shows SUCK. There hasnt been a good show on TV since Babylon 5 six years ago. True I'm watching the new of Doctor Who, but thats British and doesnt count. It does however lead me to my next point. . . .

Networks mangle broadcast shows. That TV bug in the lower right corner? Hate it. Commercials? Great way to destroy the pacing and mood of a show. End credits? Whats that? Oh - you mean the hardly ledgable text squished down and scrolled past at warp speed?

Piffle - no thanks. Give me unblemished shows, thank you very much.

Mix in the ability to see shows I havent watched in 20 years (I mean, when was the last time you saw the A-Team in syndication? 10 years, easy) and you have the makings of a winner!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The best example of the TV on DVD phenomena is Family Guy. This show was brought back due to the sales of the DVD. This should be a good example of the popularity of TV on DVD.

As you can tell by the website in my signature, I also want to voice my opinion about the TV logos and during-show advertisements. This is a big reason I don't watch as much tv as i used to. It would be great if your article could mention how much hatred there is for those logos. Your article will have a much bigger audience than my site, so might actually have some influence.

We look forward to seeing the article. Please let us know when it gets printed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks