What's new

NTSC to PAL conversion question (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have a Philips Q35 DVD player and a Toshiba TV (forgot the model, but I bought it last Xmas). I bought my first R2 disc and it flickers. Sound is fine, but the picture "flips" like mad! I have seen many posts on here (and other sites) that the Q35 is hackable and has a built in converter. Any suggestions?

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Eric, check the DVD player's menu and make sure TV output is set to NTSC and not PAL or MULTI or AUTOMATIC. As far as I've been able to determine, setting the output to NTSC forces the PAL-to-NTSC conversion. Also, make sure the player is region-free coded. Check out this link. Let us know how it works out.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to try that...I did access that part of the DVD menu and it was preset to "Multi". I tried "PAL" but the same thing happened. Back to try it again!

Thanks!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
IT WORKED!!!!

...although now that opens up the door to buying even MORE DVDs that I previously thought I would have to wait to get released in Region 1. Oh, what the hell...

Mitch L

Auditioning
I'm on the lookout for a new region free player and wonder how you like the other aspects of your player. Is the playback during high-motion sequences good? How is the audio? I have a Sampo that is my second DVD, bought just for PAL disks, and it freezes now and again, particularly on dual layer disks. There are some PAL things I want quality audio and video on, but I'm not ready to buy a Pioneer Elite or something else in the $500 range if people are happy with cheaper self-hack models. Let me know...
Mitch

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Mitch:

I only own one R2 DVD at the moment, ABBA: In Concert, so I can't attest to how well it works with a variety of discs. However, the biggest complaint I have heard about the conversion is the speeded-up audio. I thought it was negligible, especially given that it's a music DVD, and I wonder if I would have even noticed it at all had I not been told beforehand about it. There was one shot where the fast motion was noticeable, but I definitely plan on more R2 purchases. And considering I got the player for $40 on clearance, it was a steal...;)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Mitch and Eric try www.220-electronics.com that's where I bought my already hard wired Region free playerin 2001, they are in state of IL., they have specials so look for this! I have over 100 titles in R DVD. I have a few new of The Final Countdown R4 and the 93 minute nude scene in "The Wraith" still new. I will trade them for other R DVD, send me PM if interested. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks