What's new

Now THAT'S a horn (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Is this the same one ppl keep posting each month?

And then I reply: "Wouldn't it be cool to walk down into a cave only to find it's actually a bass horn."

Griff

Stunt Coordinator
Leave it up, even easier access.

There is only one thing i dont like about this sub, you cant see the drivers when your in the room, prolly wont matter to any of you but i like to look at whats eating up all of my cash.

warrick

Stunt Coordinator
There is only one thing i dont like about this sub, you cant see the drivers when your in the room, prolly wont matter to any of you but i like to look at whats eating up all of my cash.
Yeh but you could sit the kids over the mouth of the horn, crank it up and see how high they go
Warrick
:D :D :D :D

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Here's a modest L-C-R to complement it. Unfortunately there's no room left for the TV. :frowning:
GM
Link Removed

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Well, kinda sorta WRT to owning horns like these. This is actually Micheal Christ's room Link Removed an accomplished wood horn builder.
My first ones that I got back in the early '60s were three of the Altec A7 cabs (the L and R design in MC's pic, and A7-500-8 in bottom pic), but with the smaller 511 mid/HF horn on top (see horn on top of A7-500-8 in bottom pic). Check out the 240W! RCA recording studio/broadcast station tube amp in the big metal cab with meters behind the RH speaker. Wouldn't mind having that around and just pointing to it and remarking "that's the sub's amp". :D
Those were replaced in '70 with much larger Altec basshorns (A4 in pic below, mouth = 32" x 59", 34"w x 84"h x 40"d less dual 24"w 'wings', for perspective) when a local theater's sound system was gutted out, and had Mid/HF horns like are on top of the L-C-R in the top pic, but I didn't like them overall, so swapped the mid/HF out for another pair of the smaller horns I previously had. If I knew then what I know now, I would have kept and tweaked them. At that time I built a pair of 20ft^3 X-Bass (called EBS now) cabs tuned to 16Hz and loaded with two/ea of the 15" LF drivers (removed from the extra basshorns I had to dispose of as part of the deal) to use as subs to fill in below the horn's ~60Hz in-room roll off.
When I moved to a smaller house in '75 due to a lifestyle adjustment, I had to sell one speaker since the new listening room was too small to need/have room for a CC since the basshorns literally were wedged together from wall-to-wall laid down on their sides. I later extended the room some and cut out the 32"w x 59"h x 29"d horn proper, braced it, added a rear compression chamber and scrapped the reflex back portion of the cab. Now I was able to raise them up off the floor and by turning them 90deg, position them in the corners, which gave me a bit more room and they extended the effective horn loading down to ~40hz, though I kept the subs' XO at 80Hz and used Aperiodic loading of the horn compression chambers to get a better blend than I previously had. I never took any pics because there was no one at the time to send any to, and didn't feel any need to keep any around. I had some family pics with them in the background, but dang if I can find them now.
Except for tweaks and a change of subs to the CBs over the years, which necessitated raising the horns up a bit so they could sit on top of them, this was my speaker system until a couple of years ago when I needed some quick cash to keep the medical community current on their Mercedes, whatever, payments and sold the horns and CB kit subs, among other things. They were kind of intimidating to sit in front of initially in this layout since they were only 14ft away and the CBs were 38"h, putting both midbass 15" above ear level, with the HF horns waaay up there and steeply angled down so when you looked up you were staring straight down the throat, like the big multicells in the bottom pic. Imaging was so good though that sonically they disappeared, leaving an entire front wall of sound with front/back soundstaging about 2ft in front, and extending about 6ft outside the room. It took some room treatment for that to happen of course, but with horns you don't need so much of it due to their directivity.
Currently I'm listening to an extra pair of untweaked 511 horns perched on top of my original 20ft^3 subs with an original Altec 500Hz/2nd order XO. At 103dB/W/m in-room, not too shabby, unless you compare it to the previous rig.
Anyway, I have the plans for the basshorns and another two CB kits sans cabs, so hopefully one day I can reconstruct the system again if I choose to do so, health/$$ permitting.
Brian B. plans to give it a listen in October, so he can give them a review if he chooses. It's biggest shortcoming is a lack of quality high power. Even with high efficiency, it takes lots of power to reproduce unclipped transient peaks, and since I chose to sell my Mac due to an offer I couldn't afford to pass on, all I have of any quality is the 100Wer I used for the HF horns when it was tri-amped which clips on action flicks and some CDs. I tore the joint on one HF driver diaphragm the other week when it clipped. Fortunately, super glue fixes them if you're careful, with no audible degradation that I can tell. It's a hassle though, and if I'd screwed up, it would have been ~$250 for a new one, so lately I've been driving them with the sub amp, which is a bit strident in the HF. :frowning:
Well, that sure got long winded.......
GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks