What's new

Now I know why people hate spoilers :f (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Glenn, some movies are designed for you to know what's coming. Titanic was liek that. However, for movies like The Crying Game or Fight Club, knowing what's going on before the movie starts will significantly hurt your enjoyment.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I know that's why I said in my post...

Granted some movies will have more of an impact if the twist at the end is a surprise, but that only applies to a small percentage of movies
i.e Fight Club, Crying Game, Sixth Sense, Usual Suspects, etc etc.

But my point is, the surprise or "unknown" ending cannot be the only good thing about the movie. I assume you've seen Fight Club yes! so you know how it ends. So why bother watching it again? Why because the rest of the movie is as important as the ending.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Glenn, the movies people are complaining about having spoiled mostly are the ones with major surprises at the end. Yes, there's still reason to see them after you know, but they're designed to be experienced one way the first tiem and differently in subsequent viewings.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Being spoiled, you lose some of the magic of watching a film. I think it's perfectly possible to NOT spoil major plot points without warning.

I recently read a Roger Ebert review that completely gave away the ending to an older (not an old classic) movie. The review could have easily been written without the spoiler. It was just an offhand remark in the review, contrasting events in the reviewed film to the spoiled ending of the other.

Then there's the cover to the original Planet of the Apes DVD. Yeah... give away the ending ON THE COVER. Yeah, MOST people know the ending, but there would have been ZERO impact on sales or marketing of the movie if the cover hadn't spoiled the ending.

-Scott

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I assume you've seen Fight Club yes! so you know how it ends. So why bother watching it again?
Although that seems logical, it doesn't hold. Surprisingly enough, after you've seen a movie, you can enjoy it again - while remembering what it was you didn't know the first time. That's why you also can read a who-dunnit again, or enjoy a joke when at least 1 person is present you know he/she doesn't know that joke yet.

I hated it, for my children's sake, that the Hitchcock ride in Universal Studios spoiled Psycho.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks