What's new

Not familiar with Cambridge SoundWorks Newtons (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I talked a friend out of buying the Bose Lifestyle 50, and instead he bought Cambridge SoundWorks Newton series speakers: MC300 mains and center, S300 surrounds and P1000 subwoofer. He hasn't bought a receiver yet. Anyway, the only thing I know about Cambridge SoundWorks is that they make speakers for computers. Are they any good? I figure they gotta be better than Bose.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
oops! I thought I was posting in the Speaker forum. I hope the Admin can move this post. Sorry.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not bad, but not great. DEFINITELY better than Bose. I would have preferred the M60s & matching center, but the 300s are not bad at all. The P1000 sub is quite impressive in size and performance (for the price could have gotten an SVS and had some $$ left over... :eek: )

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Vlad, I own Newton series speakers (not the sub though) and they're pretty decent. Like John, I prefer the Newton bookshelf series for fronts/mains. I find the MC200/300 too bright/tinny sounding. The M50s, which I have, are much warmer mellower sounding. But the MC300 is a nice center speaker. The s300s are decent too but very pricy unless you negotiate a lower price or get them during a sale. I think if it could have fit with the decor and gotten an acceptable WAF rating, I would have simply gotten another two pair of M50s for my surrounds and rears.

Did your friend investigate the package deals CSW has where they will throw in a Marantz or other receiver into the package? I am not sure if those are better than just buying things separately but I've found CSW, at least the one I go to, is open to negotiation on prices.

cheers,

--tom

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ThomasL is 100% correct. Cambridge has stores locally for me, so I always go in and see what they have and just BS with the manager for a while about HT. I got my SR6200 for $100 off from them when they were only on the shelf for 2 days (they didn't even HAVE one at that store :D ) I have great rapport with the manager, and I get great deals from him.
I also agree that the package deals are quite good, and they occasionally throw in a DVD player (not a great one) when you purchase a speaker/reciever combo.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
My friend called their 800 number from their catalog. He bought a package deal (though not the one with the receiver) and I think he did negotiate a deal. But I'm not sure how much he saved.

He wants me to help him set them up, so I guess I'll get a chance to hear for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks