What's new

Not a happy listener (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The Bose 3-2-1 system is nearly reference level sound quality wise, especially when playing the likes of britney or aaron carter or other such teeny boppers (or wannabes). And it's compact too and rather stylish...what more could you ask for in a system?

(/sarcasm)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Drew does have a point there and the build quality.... oh soooo good.... price sooooo good too.!! I will say one thing in there defense..because I usually hate anything to do with them but I recently bought their new updated version II noise canceling headphones. I like it quiet when I am flying. And they are great. Sure they are over priced but when I am flying which I hate... they help a bunch. BTW I have tried several other brands of noise cancel phones but none match the quietness and comfort of the BoseII's. They are not the best musically no doubt but a 10 when you don't want to be disturbed.....

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I would suggest a FM modulator on your receiver going to a alarm clock (check endcaps at your local Wal-Mart for clearence items) The 2" drivers of today provide some serious punch.

Seriously, go to all the audio stores you can and listen to everything you can. You will fall in love with something.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Today I happened by a store and checked out some of their speakers. In comparison to the Klipsch's, every other small system (MK, Def Tech, even Bose) sounded more alive, with more presence, with greater range and more punchiness. The Klipsch's (which they also had) sounded muffled and muted in comparison. Hell, even the Creative Labs speakers hooked up to a small portable DVD player/screen sounded better.
:confused: No, no. No. There is a problem here. You are the first person in the world that thinks that Klipsch are muddier than any cone driven speaker. There is a mistake somewhere, I guarantee that.

Now, you have the smallest Klipsch ever made, and as always happens, their sound is limited to their size. You are comparing two different animals when you hear any bookshelf, It is obvious that almost every one will sound with more body than what you listen from your small speakers. It's not Klipsch fault, its a size problem.

That said, I most insist, there is no way that if you compare a set of Klipsch and a set of any other speakers you mentioned with the same size of cabinet and drivers (bass driver is a good reference) you will keep saying that Klipsch's are less alive! ;)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I know you own Quintet's, but which Klipsch did you hear at the store?

Like Manuel said, if Klipsch sound muffled then something is wrong.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I agree Frank. My Klipsch have always sounded crisp and clear.

Avman over on the Klipsch forum just listened to the RCX set up and said they sounded great, as did the RB75 book shelves. Look in the HOME THEATER thread

I have dealt with Avman off line and he is a fantastic person.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I think the Klipsch Reference satellites will do just what you need. They are a big improvement over the Quintets... although I find mine to be very nice, and I don't know where you can say they are muffled at all, Klipsch speakers are some of the brightest around, I notice vocals to be VERY crisp and clear than any other speaker.

I would see if you can find a place to demo the Reference satllites, see how you like them.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry folks I stepped away for a bit. When I was in that store, I was compariing all comparably sized speakers (yes, Quintets). I don't recall the model names for the others.

It did sound like something wasn't set up properly, but we were doing that switcheroo thing where all the same equipment is being used and just pushing buttons redirecting signals. I guess what struck me though was that I was never really happy with them, and in the store it seemed the same way.

However, later I reset my receiver (Sony STRDA 333ES) to factory settings, and lately I've been using it with all the equalizer stuff off. That seems to have helped. (Before you all start beating up my receiver because it's a Sony, it was my first and part of a starter package I put together intending to upgrade later.)

I went through a period where I was using a DVD and SPL meter to calibrate everything, but lately I've moved more toward putting all that stuff away and just using my eyes and ears. After all, if it's perfectly calibrated but doesn't *seem* right, what good is it?

marion.r

Grip
Klipsch ususally doesn't sound "muddy"...in fact Klipsch is usually described as "too bright" or "horny" sounding. They usually do well with SPL meters on setup

Can you mix someone elses speakers on your system or put your speakers on someone elses system? Then do the setup and listening.

If you do this scientifically, you will discover the weakest link...then improve it or get rid of it.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I agree on the ELT. However, since ACI also carries them, has a better warranty, has been around for over 25 years, I'd talk to them about the ELT. Nothing against AV1223, seem like a great bunch, but I've had a lot of very positive experience with ACI.
I also agree that there is something wrong when Klipsch sounds that way. Usually they sound way too bright and forward to me, just the opposite really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks