Not a happy listener

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Oren, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Back in 99 or so when I put together my existing setup (my first setup) I was under a budget and opted for the Klipsch Quintet speakers (w/sub). The reviews were pretty good and I did listen to them in a store. Truth be told, though, I've never really been happy with them.

Today I happened by a store and checked out some of their speakers. In comparison to the Klipsch's, every other small system (MK, Def Tech, even Bose) sounded more alive, with more presence, with greater range and more punchiness. The Klipsch's (which they also had) sounded muffled and muted in comparison. Hell, even the Creative Labs speakers hooked up to a small portable DVD player/screen sounded better.

[​IMG]

The sales guy acknowledged the difference, though he couldn't explain it except to say, basically, you get what you pay for.

So, I thought I would turn to everyone here to get some replacement suggestions. I move a lot (about once per year...they'll never catch me!) so I like small (either short and boxy, like bookshelf, or flat-ish).

(Side note: I'm getting a new PC soon too. I'm tempted to start running everything through it (CDs, DVDs, Satellite TV audio) and scrapping the stand-alone receiver/cd player/dvd player/speaker system, but that may be a clumsy system.)

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Whats your budget? Check out av123.com they have several options you may be interested in. I don't work for them just like the way they run their business which is the honest way and just a good group of guys. Also their products are getting great review for bang for the buck.

3. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Good question! I honestly don't know, because I'm willing to spend a little more to get a better value. I'm looking for the speaker "sweet spot." So, I'm reluctant to specify a hard cap.

How about, say, around $1,000 for the 5, and then the sub, in addition to that? Then again, time to step up to 6.1 or 7.1? If you were to say that $1,000 is a bit low and by sucking it up and spending X I'd get a much better system, I'd shrug and say OK. (A perk of not having anyone with veto power around.)

BTW, a high tech look would suit me just fine.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Have a look at Ascend Acoustics .

And visit the forum that I help moderate at www.ascendforum.com . You should be able to find someone in the SF area willing to have your over for a listen.

You should also be able to find some nice Axioms in your budget as well.

AV123.com has the ELT system as well.

Get out and listen!

5. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Yeah when I looked at small cubes it was interesting listeing to the various attempts to make the small speakers sound perform like floorstanding speakers.

With the amount of focus companies have given to the small speaker, ones 4 years old do not have a leg to stand on with what is out there today.

Whether it be Klipsch Bose Mirage Polk BA there are several companies producing smaller bookshelfs that cover more of the audible range with more authority than those of 4 or 5 years ago.

I nearly went down the small cube road but craved the sound of the full size speaker.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Good luck with what ever you decide. The best thing to do if you can spare a few extra bucks is order several brands and try them in your own home with your own gear.

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Mike is correct that is best if you can manage to audition in your home. Listen to as much as you can, narrow your choices down and bring the finalists to your home for an in home audition. For $899 (+shipping) you can get a 5.1 system (the ELT) from av123. They offer a 30-day, no hassle, return if you don't like them. If you can swing it, try them and the Ascend speakers.

IMHO, while there are hundreds of great speakers available. Some of the internet direct brands offer better bang for the buck.

If you're not comfortable with internet direct, I'd look at some of the entry level Paradigm speakers. They make some nice sounding speakers in small packages.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Small = Energy Take 5.2...about the size of a Bose double cube array, but half the price and miles better in every respect. They even come with a built-in wall mounting system, and for a small package are quite hefty (a good thing, of course).

You really owe these an audition; I will never replace my Take 5.2s, they sound phenomenal.

9. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I say go with the bose or creative labs,maybe jensen.

10. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

Hey Curtis,

At least the bose and jensen's look better than those homely ascend cubes. Seriously, I was considering the ascends, mainly due to your salesmanship, but the axioms are just so much cuter.:b :b :b

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

There are two Curtis on the board. A CurtisSC(that's me, the guy that likes the Ascends) and CurtisC. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure I didn't post something!

Oh so confusing!

I agree the Axioms look nicer and sound good too. The Ascends and Axioms outclass many in sound, IMHO.

Another speaker that I have heard recently and like is the Monitor Audio Bronze B2.

12. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN. Actually, I never confused two posters before, but I couldn't resist the Britney reference. Do you think she sounds as bad on Ascends as she probably sounds on Axioms, CurtisSC?

13. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have NEVER heard Britney on Ascends or Axioms....and don't plan to either!! [​IMG]

14. gregD

gregD Second Unit

For something completely different...

Audition the Gallo Micro's... little 4" spherical speakers that sound amazingly good for their size... small, stylish, choice of colors... $150 each... http://www.roundsound.com/products.html

Avoid their subs, however... kinda 'tubby' and inarticulate.

15. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

Beam me up, Scotty!

16. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would imagine she would sound bad on either but the background music may be alright. Figure out a way to cut the vocals out... Maybe a karoakee disk... haha...

17. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

19. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

This gets as bad as trying to find a woman anymore huh?? They go through all the ugly comments to about size, looks, sounds and all that... haha

20. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Man,this could be sweet.I still say go with the creative labs/Britney for max fidelity.[​IMG]