What's new

NORTHERN EXPOSURE - The Complete Second Season? (1 Viewer)

Beau

Supporting Actor
Aren't the announced MSRP prices usually more than what they eventually are when they coome out. I got the first season at BestBuy for 43 dollars, so if that's MSRP was 60 like this, will BestBuy be selling this for 43 also? Amazon.com already has S2 up for 41.99. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, the MSRP is usually higher than things sell for, but it is also what the end price is based on (30% off etc.).

Universal is selling a number of other series with 20+ episodes for the same price as a 7 or 8 episode NX set.

Amazon.ca just listed season 2, and it is more expensive with 30% off (preorder pricing) than season 1 with only 20% off. Hopefully this will change soon. $55 for 7 episodes is robbery.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Things sure have changed since the dawn of tv shows on DVD! Was it 10 episodes of NX that were available on VHS? I know I have a few of them and that they were $15 per tape for one episode, so that would be $105 for 7 episodes!! That makes me feel much better about spending $40 for Season 2 on DVD (that's what I paid for Season 1 through Deep Discount DVD). It would also cost at least that much to buy 3 movies, which would equal about 6 hours of entertainment. Yes, I know you can buy 20+ episodes of a lot of other shows for the same amount of money, but I still just think back to the days of VHS and how much more expensive it was for a few random episodes of some series!

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't Universal realize how many more copies they'd sell if they'd lower the price?

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
I admit its been a lonngggg time since I have seen the 1st episode but did they just leave out the 1st episode on the 1st Season set?

Hopefully Season2 is much better than the 1st one. It felt really barebones though the jacket on the outside is sort of unique lol stands out on the shelf.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't the Vest packaging supposed to be limited edition? Any chance they'll lower the price once they switch to a regular keepcase? Because I'd imagine that packaging adds to the cost.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The set is basically the same quality as the first set. The discs are labeled correctly this time around though. I watched the first 4 episodes this evening and really enjoyed them. The sad part is there are only 3 episodes left to watch. It will be great when season 3 arrives with 20+ episodes to enjoy!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, I'm looking forward to the longer seasons as well - should we rename the thread already? :)

Even combined with the first season, we don't have nearly enough NX yet. I hope we only have a five month (or less) wait for S3, which has some great episodes. I also hope that the set pricing remains the same, and not the same per episode cost.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Anymore thoughts on the 2nd season? A cursory glance of customer reviews on Amazon shows that there is a belief that some of the original music has been removed.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I reviewed it at dOc. The set looks similar in quality to the first season. As for the removal of original music, that I can't confirm, since I don't have anything to compare to, and am not familiar with many of the works that are included. Any of the major pieces seem to be intact. If there were substitutions, it sure didn't affect my thorough enjoyment of the set.

The extras are great, I just hope they don't get dumped for season three and beyond.

WolframM

Auditioning
I just watched the 1st episode and there’s the song “Blue Moon” by Billie Holiday missing from the last scene. I would have never noticed it since I did not watch it originally but the lines of the song were in the subtitles. Pretty weird.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well it does look like there is music missing, but I'd have to view the set over to pick it all out.

Here is a list of what should be there episode by episode.

I guess we've been duped, so much for justifying the cost over music rights. :frowning:

If Universal couldn't buck up for the rights for these episodes, I wonder how bad seasons three and on will be with 20+ installments and a few hundred more songs to license.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Boy am I glad I found out about the lack of original music before buying this. I've been looking forward to NX being on DVD since 1997, when I bought my first player, but I will not purchase another DVD set of this show and I will have to find my VHS tapes now.

Good work, Universal!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have been rewatching this set, and even if there is music missing, the show is still too good to pass up, especially with the excellent picture quality and great extras.

Yes, I would prefer it intact, but Universal has done a good job of the replacements, as they are impossible to pick out unless you know what was originally there.

While I hope for an intact season three, if there are alterations, it won't affect my desire to own the series. The writing and acting easily overcome any deficiencies in the soundtrack.

Bring on season three.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Somebody explain to me how 'Freaks and Geeks' has tons of pricy original pop/rock music but only costs half as much (per episode).

James Reader

Screenwriter

Well sometimes its not just down to money. For example, I'm sure I read somewhere Apple Corps won't allow any Beatles music to be used in home soundtracks, period. The money is not an issue. (Although I cannot even begin to guess the logic behind this decision).

While I agree it's likely to be the issue, don't assume money will solve every problem.

Antti Vaisanen

Auditioning
Hello all.

I'm having problems with S02.. I can only watch first 2 episodes from both discs.
I have old dvd-player, a Sony DVP-S525D, it's been modded to play all regions (region 2 originally).

I understand that S02 discs are dual-sided (or something like that), is my player too old to handle them ?
I tried them with my pc also, same thing there.. and windows explorer only showed 4.3GB of data in the disc.

Never had problems with dvd's before (R1 or R2).. then again I dont think that any of my other boxsets have dual-sided discs.. anyways, what do I need to do to be able to watch all the eps from S02 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks