NORTHERN EXPOSURE - The Complete Second Season?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm getting impatient to hear news of the second season coming to DVD. I hope Universal doesn't think that a paltry 8 episodes is going to satiate Mooseheads for very long, but even a complete second set is only another 7 episodes.

ScottDombrowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, it took all of a week to watch them for me, and I've already starting watching them again! It'd be a little different if there were twenty some episodes, but I can definitely relate to the impatience considering we only got 8! I do realize though that it's only been about a month, but with Universal putting out so many releases, I hope it won't be too long. I really wish they'd combine seasons 2 and 3 though!!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Universal is combining the first and second seasons of Dream On (29 episodes total for $60MSRP). Why couldn't they have done that with NX?

I sure hope we get season 2 before Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Is there anyone who has both the UK and US releases of season one?

The UK release was a few years ago and exclusive to HMV, barebones just the 8 episodes. That was the first and last Northern Exposure dvd release here in the UK

I just wondered if it's worth getting the US release as well and obviously someone with both would be best suited to answer!

cheers

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Which cut of the pilot did they included in US season 1 anyway? I didn't like the UK edition because of PAL speed. Chris Stevens sounds like a girl!! Everyone else sounds fine thou. Chris Stevens.... his voice is the character!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
According to TV Shows on DVD, the second season (7 episodes) will come out November 2, in another parka and again priced at $60.

While I'm happy more NX is on its way, they sure are gouging us fans on this series.

I can only hope the third and successive seasons will not be priced any higher.

ScottDombrowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I really don't like the price for the number of episodes either, but it looks like the $60 is the standard Universal price. The first season of Quantum Leap only had about 8 episodes and the list price was $59.99 and now the second season has been announced and it too will be $59.99 with 22 episodes, so I expect full seasons of NX will be the same. I'm happy they seem to be releasing them with less than six months between seasons, hopefully they'll keep that up or release them even sooner!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'm bitter sweet about the announcement of s.2 as well, for the same reasons. We can't really boycott buying it because then they won't release the rest but when we do buy it then we're saying it's ok that we pay tons of money...I guess I should just be quiet and be happy that they are releasing the show but it sure is irritating how they are going about it.

Dan B

Screenwriter
We don't know what the extra features are yet, but this is what I expected...and I'm satisfied. To me, the show is worth the price.
That's good to know. I'd be happy with that.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned earlier, Universal has seen fit to combine the first and second seasons of other series (22 episodes total), so it is a shame that they didn't do this with NX to keep the cost per episode down. I'll continue to whine about the cost, but I'll be preordering as soon as this one's available. Hopefully season three will be available in early 2005, and not at some outrageous price point.

ScottDombrowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Despite my slight griping, I too agree with DanB that it is worth the price. We have to remember that all of the music is intact and for a show that used as much music as NX did, that's really amazing considering how other shows have had music replaced. I also thought that the job Universal did on the transfers was outstanding and have to think that these two points make the sets more costly to produce. Okay, now I'm really looking forward to November!!

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I hope that they include a retrospective featurette on this one, and/or some commentary. And that this time Universal includes a listing of the episode order somewhere in the packaging, and identify the disc # & side in the main menus, which was my main gripe with the first set.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there is lots of room for improvement in the documentation department. Perhaps an episode guide for both seasons could be included as a booklet?

The original set was pretty much el cheapo in all but the transfer quality and extras.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav