What's new

nOrh Le Amp vs Marantz MA-6100? War of the monoblocks (1 Viewer)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Glen-Check out the nOrh website for one level of modification that IRD will perform for $15 per block. Also check out HD for a description of four more levels of modification. IRD may be willing to do these other levels, but I beleive they invalidate the warranty. A couple of these mods seem pretty simple for anyone with experience using a soldering iron, however I would call IRD or nOrh before attempting this yourself to get any updated info,and to be clear on any warranty issues that may arise.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

I have the xover but its still a box of loose parts- hope to put it together this week. I'll try it both ways but was also thinking the le amps would be better for the tweeters.

Dustin= thanks for anthem data.

Glen- If you need to know how to check for DC offset, its easy. Put meter in most sensitive DC volt range and measure across the rca plug that would go into the amp with everything on. Should be less than 1 volt, ideally less than 100 mV.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
ThomasW,

I have been eying the Anthem MCA Series II MCA2 & MCA3. If I get the MCA3 I would drive the three front speakers for HT and only the mains for stereo. How does the Anthem compare to the Aragon 8008 & 4004? I have read some comments that the noise floor on the Anthem is noticable. Also, do the Aragon and Anthem amps run hot?

If you are only using bookshelf monitors down to about 50Hz and crossing over to a sub, does the Aragon 8008 still offer any significant benefit?

Also, is the MCA SeiesII being replaced with the 20/30/50 versions and any idea what they've changed? I don't like the high THD (

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Hopefully Thomas will come in with Aragon vs MCA, but I can comment about some of the Anthem questions. It runs very cool and is dead quiet. It also has an auto on feature like a sub amp, so its one less thing to power on and off.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Hi again,

I've never done a direct Anthem vs Aragon shootout. That being said I can offer the following info......

I started using Aragon's beause I needed amps that were rock stable driving weird loads, ELS's, ribbons, etc. Aragons will drive anything other than a dead short. We had a BB running the mid/tweeter section of a pair of Apogee FR and that's a 1.6 ohm load. Over the last couple of years I've replaced all the amps in my 2 tri-amped systems with a combo of ST/BB's. I finally found a better sounding amp and will be obtaining an Ayre V-5 for the mid/tweeter section of the Whisper klones. Am going to try it on the big ESL's, I'm not sure it will be happy driving them to reference levels. Now if anyone thinks Aragons are expensive don't look at Ayre's products.

Sonic Frontiers has always made very good products. I've recommended their Anthem amps to several friends and all have been quite pleased with the performance. The sound is musical, neutral, slightly relaxed. For most sane SPL's, and conventional loudspeakers, they have more than enough power. If/when the amps make errors they are ones of omission not commission. This is always good.

Now that being said, the build quality of Aragon is truly in a different league. The heatsink fins are massive 1/4" thick, front panels are 1/2" thick machined alunimium. The 8008BB's weigh in at an staggering 77lbs for a stereo amp. People that complain that Aragon amps are 'harsh' are mistaken. The amps are extremely revealing. So anything good or bad in the signal path is reproduced. They aren't quite as 'musical' as the Anthem. But the power supply and driver card design is such that they are competitive with amps costing 50% more. This is why I consider the used ones a steal at $1200-$1500. In the not to distant future we're going to replace the driver cards in one of my ST's with a new design using no global feedback. If this is successful, then all of my amps will be modified. The target sonic signature is one similar to the Ayre. We're in talks with a company that offers mod for other products, and may have them be the service agent for anyone wanting to modify their 8008's

That was the long answer.

The short answer is that Anthem amps sound very good, they are affordable and have enough power for most normal situations. They also have quasi-high end following so resale value is good. But most people aren't interested in that after hearing them.

Hope this helps

Regards

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks