What's new

nOrh 5.1 evaluated next to Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
David,
I'm probably about the same distance as Greg. My 6.9's arrive tonight. If you feel like it, pack up a few people who'd be interested and come down on Sunday (this weekend). By then, they'll have some hours on them and may be good enough to demo. I know Greg's will be reasonably broken in by then also. If that doesn't work, next weekend is possible also. Just let me know.... Pretty sure Greg would love to show you his stuff too, and our systems are very similar (though our rooms are very different).
I'll probaby integrate the 6.9's into the HT and use it for music as well. That will displace a pair of wood 4.0's that will need a new home. I'll either use them elsewhere in the house or sell them (not sure which yet).
Richard,
I own the 4.0 wood package, and they are WONDERFUL. However, I also have a marble 4.0 center channel, and I have found that the marble cabinet produces finer details and is clearer at higher volumes. I'm also told that the ceramic line (same price as the wood package, $850) sounds the same as the marble.
The wood is a bit "warmer" sounding in that there is a very (VERY) slight fuzz that comes into the music at higher volumes. This is typical of most all wood speakers, and I honestly didn't even notice it until I got my marble 4.0 center channel.
So, for $850, you can get either ceramic or wood 4.0's. Both look good, but the cabinet materials make the ceramics slightly better (more detailed). I can still heartily recommend the woods, however. Compared to other box-shaped speakers, these RULE.
If there are other questions, please ask away!
John
------------------
System:
Onkyo 787
Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
Center: nOrh marble 4.0
Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Richard:
I own a pair of wood Norh 4.0s and am located in Knoxville, Tn. If you live in this part of the State, you would be welcome to stop by for an audition of the Norhs. In fact, I currently have them set up in my 2 channel music listening system and have been comparing them to the PSB Stratus Bronze speakers. This set up would give you the opportunity to compare them to a considerably more expensive ($1,150/pair list price) speaker.
Let me know if you are interested
Bob

Richard Watt

Agent
Wow!! Bob that would be awesome! People on this forum are great. I was actually thinking about these on the way home this afternoon and I had reserves of not being able to audition them. I would hate to impose upon your home, but I would love to listen to them. I live in Nashville, so the drive wouldn't be an ordeal. I am in the process of moving apartments. Would you mind if I got back with you around the middle of October? Is that too soon? Just let me know, I can work around your free time. I'm off to dinner. Later.
This place is great!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yall have got me wanting to drive to Knoxville now !!!!! BTW, I am close to Jackson and am really looking at the norh 4.0 setup.... is there anyone around here with'em?
I have tried Monitor Audio, Energy, Magneplanar and have still found nothing in that mid price group that beats my old JBL L100's but sounds like the norh would be a contender.
OMG>>>>> here I go again.
Last month upgrades:
RXV1 receiver
SVS 20-39PC
Pro shakers
2 Yamaha amps to drive shakers and bedroom system
DVD player for Bedroom
Rolen Stars for bedroom
Where does it stop....???? Ain't it fun, folks.....!!!
------------------

John McGee

Auditioning
I have the marble 4.0's in Franklin, TN. I am still in the process of upgrading my equipment, (sub, amps, pre-amp to come), so the speakers are not yet calibrated. We might be able to set something up if you are interested.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Richard:
Mid October would be fine. When you are ready, feel free to email me at [email protected] so we can make arrangements.
Bob
[Edited last by Bob Marker on September 07, 2001 at 04:46 PM]

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Bob,
Friendly word of advice: Take out your phone number. You may want to email it to him, but it isn't a good idea to post it in a public forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks