What's new

noob htpc video question (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
If I get a projection TV, is there a particular choice or video input style I should consider for using with a PC?

Are the fixed pixel display types better for operating windows from your couch (my ultimate goal)? Will a crt based RPTV work just as good? Should I look for DVI or HDMI or are there video cards out there with component outputs?

The other part of my question is that I know it's not as simple as finding a video card with the DVI or HDMI out to plug into a TV w/ a corresponding input. What converts the PC video into something a TV can display as clearly as possible?

Any advice or point me in the direction of reading. I know too little to narrow my questions into simple searches.

Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Fixed panels are often better if you want to display a windows desktop... CRT displays are often tough to find a resoltuion in which text is readable-- where with fixed pixel displays it's often easy just to match the mative panel and get a clean computer desktop. Keep in mind all cosumer tv sets have overscan which will cut off some degree of the edges of the frame. You can overcome this by adjusting your TV in the service menu, or tweaking the position of the dekstop via the pc.

2) There are video cards that output component, although some require some additional software (ATI for example will not pass HD res via component withotu a piece of hack software IIRC). You can also buy a box called a transcoder to convert analog VGA style output to component. Also I think many cards have a dongle (ATI again has a component dongle even for their DVI cards).

3) The TV display will depend on the set and what it can sync to- however decent cards (ATI for example) now have 1080i and 720p available in their resolution settings (although might not be called that- you can get them with some tweaking). There is also a excellent application called POWER STRIP which gives you complete control over dialing your resolution to the pixel.

4) While we have a HTPC area here- it is quite low level. If you're serious about doing this stuff, you should check out the avsforum.com HTPC forum. Warning: it is SUPER TECH, but if you have patience and an attention span- there is TONS to learn there. There is some basic information about HTPC in the FAQ AND PRIMER, the link is in my sig.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Vince

I like to consider myself tech savvy enough to build a machine myself, I can crack open manuals and release notes with the best of 'em. I ususally make my own computers, I'm not as big on high performance as I once was.

These days I'd like something that can input video signals from a satellite or cable receiver so I can record these and burn them on DVD. I'm sure it's been done before, I have just never seen it. I imagine I'd need a video card with ins/outs and software that allows you record.

I've used power strip before, it's a great little utility but very "powerful", I have destroyed lesser monitors with it pushing refresh rates beyond what they should be.

I'll be exploring the website you recommend, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks