Noob HTPC questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JohnMM, May 26, 2006.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I would like to build an HTPC, but know very little about it. I have very basic questions about the audio/video card(s):

I would like to be able to use my hi-def TV as the computer monitor. And when I play a DVD, I would like the HTPC to output video to my hi-def TV via component or DVI, and output DD5.1 and DTS to my A/V reciever's OPTICAL audio input.

Is this possible, and does anyone have any recommendations as to what audio/video card I should use? I would like to keep it inexpensive if possible.

Thanks for any help.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Once you have the basic hardware, just add a bit of software and you get a HTPC you can remote control and use from the couch comfortably.

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net is a software package you can install on top of Windows XP and use that to play about any media you want. It has support for, among other remotes, the Windows Media Center remote so add that and you're good to go.

If you want to expand on your HTPC usability, add in some TV cards from the cards that Mediaportal supports and you can use your HTPC to view, timeshift and record TV too.

There are other HTPC software packages too, of course, I just like Mediaportal.