What's new

Non-Anamorphic Material on 16:9 TV (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As a dutiful member of the HTF, I purchased a 16:9 Toshiba 57HX81 a couple of weeks ago.

Last night, I put in Top Gun, and the aspect ratio and height of people did not seem right. Sure enough, the movie is not anamorphic.

What is the correct method to view such movies? I changed my picture size to 'normal,' which is the correct setting for 4:3 material, and I got the bars on the side, and some on top and bottom. Height and width of characters seemed ok, but I'd like to nail down the 'official' HTF score on this. I know the issue has been raised before, but I had a 4:3 set at the time.

Should I be setting the DVD to 4:3? Thanks...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Leave the DVD player set for 16:9. That setting won't affect the playback of nonanamorphic discs. It simply means that anamorphic discs won't be downconverted by the player.
Unless Toshiba has changed their naming conventions, the mode you want should be called "Theaterwide 2". This is a straight zoom mode that does not alter the picture geometry; it just blows up the 4:3 letterboxed picture to full the screen from left to right.
An unrelated note of warning: If you haven't already done so, turn the contrast way down. Like most manufacturers, Toshiba sets it way too high at the factory, and there's a risk of burn-in from the gray bars. You'll need AVIA or Video Essentials to calibrate it correctly, but for now set the contrast to around 25 (out of 100).
M.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I am happy to say that my contrast level is set to 18, and brightness at 48. Though this sounds low, I have incredible amounts of detail, and the picture has a nice 'pop' to it. I'm actually amazed at the picture I get. I was always set against rear projection, because of the visible scan lines and generally rotten picture, but an HD RPTV eliminates these issues, and all I can say is 'WOW.'

I also am lucky to have a fairly well controlled light situation in my room, allowing me to keep contrast and brightness at fairly low levels.

Thanks for the answer.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Michael, or anyone else, I take it the Toshiba 57HX81 doesn't lock into full mode when watching a progressive dvd?

Thanks

Steve

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I take it the Toshiba 57HX81 doesn't lock into full mode when watching a progressive dvd?
I can't address the 57HX81 specifically, but none of the Toshiba sets I'm familiar with lock into full at 480p. I'd be surprised if that's changed.

M.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
No, it does not lock into 'Full' with a progressive signal. I can manipulate the size all I want...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks