What's new

Non-anamorphic dvds on a progressive scan player? (1 Viewer)

Cory B

Grip
What do you guys do when viewing non-anamorphic material on your progressive scan players? My old Toshiba player would frame them correctly, but my new player doesn't. When I change the aspect ratio of my tv (Toshiba 40x81) I end up with color bleed on the left and right side of the picture. And when I switch the signal back to interlaced the color seems to be a bit washed out...

Any magical solution to this problem (other than going back to my old player)?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Panasonic RP-91 has a zoom/scaling function that works great with non-anamorphic widescreen material (provided it's 1.7:1 or wider aspect ratio). I just leave my 16x9 TV in FULL mode and let the player handle the scaling.

With my previous progressive scan player (Toshiba 6200), I would use one of the TheaterWide viewing modes on my Toshiba 16x9 TV to zoom the picture.

Have you checked the convergence on your TV for this viewing mode? It may need adjustment.

Cory B

Grip

I went into service mode and did a 64 point convergence by eye (don't have the grids), but since the bleed is on the very edge of the frame, it doesn't seem to have much effect. And since the convergence is already fine for non-progressive sources, would trying to set the convergence for the progressive scan source mess with the non-progressive convergences?

When did tvs get this complicated? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks