What's new

Will I need a new DVD Player? (w/ New TV) (1 Viewer)

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
OK all, I've finally found an HD capable display that will fit my space constraints. What's better, is that I should be able to get it at a healthy discount from a friend at LG.

Its the Zenith E44W46LCD (by LG)

I'm really excited, but now comes the next question:

Will I need a new DVD player to reap maximum benefit from the unit?

Currently I've got a Pioneer DV-333 NON-Progressive unit, so I thought I'd need (want) to get a Progressive unit to take better advantage of the set's capabilities.

However a friend is telling me that since the TV has "progressive scan upconversion" built-in, that I don't need to upgrade my DVD player.

I'm guessing this is one of those cases where I'll see better performance from having better equipment BEFORE the set, right?

OK, so I'm totally cool with getting a new DVD player, but what about all of these 720p/1080i upconverting players in those monster threads at the top of the forum?

Sounds like those have some real advantages, and I like the idea of upconverting my DVDs, since we won't be watching too much true-HD content in the near future. However, all of the discussion about issues with Non-anamorphic W/S discs, etc. have sort of got me freaked out.

We watch A TON of TV-show-on-DVD type stuff, and I'm certain that probably a full third of my growing disc collection will also fall into the category of "non-enhanced" discs... (We've only had a 4:3 direct-view up 'till now, so it hasn't been a problem.)

Since the native mode of the TV is 720p, wouldn't I get the best picture from a player that upconverts to 720p WELL? But due to my programming choices, don't I need a player that will do the pillar-box, zoom, etc?

Or is my best bet just to stick with my current unit (or at least a decent Progressive Scan unit) and wait for the industry to shake out the upconverting players?

One last concern, the TV I'm getting only has a single DVI input, which I anticipate will someday be occupied by the HD source (HDTiVo, I hope). It seems like the current upconverting players support component outs, but in the future they may not (DVI only). Does this mean I should hustle up and get one of these units now while I can?

Thanks all!
EDIT: Typos

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It's a definate maybe ;) Since you haven't tried your present player with the new display, I'd see what it looked like....curiosity if for no other reason. If you hook it into the display. via composite cable, (vs S-video) you'll have a pretty good inkling of how good the upscaling and comb filter in the new display works. AFAIK, the only upconverting DVD players that do that over component are the Zenith (318 or 381...CRS) and I think the Moshimoto (wrong name but close).

Twere me, I'd try the existing player and if satisfied just use it until it died or until HD-DVD came along. Buying a new player is easy. All it takes is money and you can do that any time. Since changes in technology are coming fast and furious, I think I'd buy a quality progressive scan player and forego the upscaling units (which is what I did :D )

Good hunting

Mort

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not necessarily, because the set will most likely convert everything to 720p anyway. My understanding was that most TVs do not do progressive as well as a decent prog DVD with a good decoder and deinterlacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks