What's new

Noel - Flexplay DVD (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I know some have heard about Flexplay, the new DVD technology where the DVDs come in a special airtight container. Once you open the DVD, you have 48 hours to watch the film before it oxidizes and becomes unwatchable. It is basically for rentals.

I thought it was a stupid idea, who would rent that way when you can buy a DVD for a few dollars more or join Netflix.

But, I was just on Amazon and read they are doing this with the new film called NOEL.

This is Chazz Palminteri's directorial debut, starring Susan Sarandon, Penelope Cruz and a bunch of other people about people on Christmas Eve. It is listed in the Holiday issue of Entertainment Weekly as being released this winter in theatres, November 12th.

Now the Flexplay DVD comes out November 17, around the same time it plays in theatres. That is a very interesting way to do this, use this type of DVD around the time of a films theatrical release. Since I don't think NOEL is going to get much of a theatrical release, this will make it so more people can see it. And then, if they like it, get the DVD when it comes out in the future.

It is $4.99 for the DVD as well, cheaper than any movie theatre.

Anyway, I'd have no interest in buying a film on DVD like this if it was available in a regular format, but if it is only available this way, before it hits DVD, it MAY be a viable option. Although I don't know what the quality will be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks