What's new

No OTA only HDTV receivers? (1 Viewer)

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I don't want DirecTV or Dish 6000. Any device on the radar that will only do OTA?
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
My recommendation would be Panasonic Direct TV HD Box(TU-HDS20). I am pretty sure it works only with OTA and it is capable of playing everything in its native form (720P or 1080i) in other words no upconversion and some of the problems that presents. The only down fall of this unit I belive is that it has slow menus. But I think that has been corrected by a software change that Panasonic did. There are a few guys on the forum that have this unit maybe they can comment on it.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie
[Edited last by Oswald Pascual on September 07, 2001 at 02:22 PM]

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Samsung makes an HD box for ota only.....It costs about the same as the boxes that do both though ...
------------------

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Thanks guys. I found a review of the Samsung SIR-T150 OTA only receiver with a list of $699 (online prices of $600). That's a good price compared to the Pany at $999.
http://web-star.com/hdtvmagazine/reviews.html
"It's also the only set-top box not to have an integrated DSS (satellite) receiver, which really goes against the grain. Currently, all new set-top receivers also receive either DirecTV or Dish Network programming, and at least one of those receivers (Dish 6000) won't pick up terrestrial DTV signals unless it's installed for DSS operation."
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
to clarify the quote in Scott's post above, the Dish 6000 does need a dish installed and pointing at the sat, but does not need to be activated with a subscription to Dish's programming to be used as an OTA rcvr. this differs from the DirecTV/HD stb's in that they do not need a sat input to be used as an OTA rcvr only.
there is a supposed to be a software release from Dish to change this, but no date so far.
[Edited last by Craig Robertson on September 07, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Does the Samsung do 720 as well as 1080i with no conversion?
I have seen the Panny for $899 at audio King and cheaper online, but can't remember where now. There was also a review somehwere on most of these models, and I am pretty sure the panny did the best as far as image quality goes.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

Gary_E

Second Unit
The Samsung has a rear output switch for 480i,480p,720p and 1080i.
From the T-150 owners manual:
Switches between 1080i(interlaced scanning), 720p (progressive scanning), 480p(progressive scanning), and 480i(interlaced scanning) formats.
It also produces a fine looking picture and has a tuner that 'locks' in weak signals. Also features both optical and coaxial Dolby Digital Outputs.
-Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks