What's new

Issue running items and TV through my receiver and getting them to work right. HELP! (1 Viewer)

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
I just bought a Samsung plasma 720P PN42C450B1D HDTV from HH Gregg on sale for $477 a few weeks ago. I was excited to FINALLY get an HD TV. Then came hooking it up to my receiver... THE HORROR! I hooked it and my Sony PlayStation 3 to my receiver and NOTHING! No video on the TV or sound from receiver... WTF?! I tried hooking up several different ways. BTW, I have an older model Yamaha HTR 5960 which has no HDMI hookups but works perfectly fine, I don't have money to waste on another receiver. I eventually got the TV sound to work through the receiver using a digital optical audio cable, and the PS3 to work by hooking it up to input video component cables on the TV, (and selecting component 1 on TV menu) then running female to female adapters and extra audio cables to extend the length to the receiver, but that was not what I wanted. What will I do when I get satellite back on? My TV only has TWO component jacks. (Right now am on HD OTA with an antenna)

With my old RCA 32" CRT TV, I simply used composite cables and ran one video out to the input of the TV. Everything worked perfectly. Not so easy now. Then there is the other problem of running my DVD/VCR combo to the TV and receiver which has ONLY COMPOSITE output jacks... what to to do there? I can watch DVD through the PS3, but it won't play video cassettes! And I don't have the money nor desire to replace all those I have bought since the 80's (100's) with DVD or blu-ray. I used to be the cool guy and a guru of audio and video, now I feel like a fool!

Here is a picture of the rear connectors (jacks) on the TV:

Here is a pic of the of the receiver: (rear pic can click to super size)

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Well I got the DVD/VCR combo to work. I hooked the receiver to the TV using a yellow composite cable to the yellow/blue AV in jack on the TV. But I can't understand why I cannot run the receiver as component 1 or 2. Or why it won't accept it as AV with component cable or whatever, I dunno, I am confused. And there is still the dilemma of what to do if I add additional items, like a satellite receiver/DVR which is in the near future plans, as I am getting tired of the 22 on air channels.The TV only has two component jacks.

I still would like to have everything running through the receiver as I did with the CRT TV. But HOW?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by JoeCool6972 ). You'll need one set for each component source (except the PS3, which I believe uses a special set of cables, but I might be wrong) plus one final run to go from the receiver's "Monitor Out" to an input on the TV.

Also, when you connect the audio from your sources to the receiver, make sure you use the audio connection that is associated to the video connection. You may need to revisit the setup menu for your receiver to "assign" each audio input to the correct video input.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton [/i][/b]

I bought some component cables and the special one for the PS3 long ago when Circuit city went out of business, dirt cheap.

Also, when you connect the audio from your sources to the receiver, make sure you use the audio connection that is associated to the video connection. You may need to revisit the setup menu for your receiver to "assign" each audio input to the correct video input.

OK, will try that and see what happens.

/forum/thread/305421/issue-running-...-getting-them-to-work-right-help#post_3745870

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hey, sorry - didn't mean to insult, but you'd be surprised how many of the folks that post here in the "Beginners" section, and who still cling to their VHS tapes have tried using composite cables as component cables.

One more thought - have you tried setting the PS3 to output 480p instead of an HD resolution? Another quick look at the specs for your receiver show NTSC as the video format. Based on that, I'm not certain your receiver is capable of passing an HD signal.

Personally, I don't think it's a "waste" to get a receiver that simply enables you to take full advantage of the rest of the components in your system. You have a nice HD display - but you're going to run out of HD inputs in a hurry and you currently have no way to benefit from the lossless audio on Blu-Ray.

Best of luck to you.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I've used those yellow/red/white composite/analog AV cables for component before without issues - as long as it is a relatively short run - you just need to be sure they are decent quality and use the yellow for the "green" input as it carries the sync signal and is the most "important" of the three signal-integrity-wise and the yellow cable is designed to carry a video signal. YMMV. However quality component cables are indeed recommended - just sayin composite AV cables will work in a pinch/temp situation...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks