What's new

No mouse / keyboard???? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have an older Windows 98 PC which I was getting ready to use because I was going to get some warranty work done on my new machine.
For some reason unless I hold the Mouse/keyboard ps connectors real tight into the plug, the computer does not recognize the hardware.
Tried to use the USB ports but I cant use the add hardware wizard (No mouse to click ok)
Any ideas would really be welcomed!
Thanks
Grant

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
to click ok, use tab key to select then hit enter assuming your keyboard still works!! CHEERS Gerald

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks
but I am dead in the water, neither are making a connection.
Guess its a service center next

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
the place where I took it said they would have to replace the motherboard???
What about replacing the ps ports, anyone ever try that?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If they work when you are pushing them hard into the connectors but not otherwise it sounds like there is some form of faulty connection. Most likely just a soldering point somewhere in the connectors or the motherboard that has loosened or something like that.

If this is an ATX motherboard the connectors are connected directly to the motherboard, and in that case it might be fixable by checking that the connectors are firmly attached and connected to the motherboard and resoldering the solder points where they connect to the board

Otherwise I guess you'll have to switch to another mobo, but that "pushing them in harder and it works" thing leads me to believe it might be fixable.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kimmo
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
ATX motherboard
How would I know this without turning on the computer?
The connectors are in small metal housings ....hard to see since that side of the computer doesn't easily detach

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
You might also be able to get a serial mouse to work. It attaches to one of the 9-pin serial ports.

Mike

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
resoldered the connections but one pin still has 100 ohms when I run continuity to the board?!?!
You might also be able to get a serial mouse to work. It attaches to one of the 9-pin serial ports.
can get it to recognize it and cant use the keyboard for the wizard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks