What's new

No more Camaro's or Firebirds from GM. (1 Viewer)

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Yes, but only because they'll use the excess production capacity to build more SUVs.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
They're closing a plant somewhere in Quebec... Actually I read on auto.com that the name Firebird, Camero are officially going on Hiatus, which means it might come back in some kind of form... perhaps like the Thunderbird, 280Z, etc.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, but only because they'll use the excess production capacity to build more SUVs.
If that is true, it's quite disturbing news. I loathe SUVs.
I'm saddened by this news. I always loved Firebirds even though I never wanted to shell out the money for one and the insurance premiums.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
There is always the Corvette for people who want a GM sports car.
The back seat in the F body series was pretty much worthless to begin with.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
No SUV's coming from the Camaro/Firebird plant. Their shutting her down. I believe the plant is in St. Therese, Quebec but I could be wrong about the city.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Keep in mind this is how they killed the Impala SuperSport line back in 1996. They stopped production on them from the Arlington, TX plant and retooled it for those damn Trucks/SUV's.
That weas the death of the last true American Sport/Sedan
Ah well..typical move by the General !!
------------------

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Just wait a few years, Camero and Firebird will come back,
like the T-Bird or the Impala...
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Peter_A

Second Unit
quote: Time to trim the mullet...[/quote]
It's funny 'cause it's true!
laugh.gif

Seriously though, they should have canned them 2 or 3 years ago. Low build quality and questionable styling. The article below is pretty good, check it out.
http://auto.com/targetnews/articles/...ofirebird.html
[Edited last by Peter_A on September 26, 2001 at 04:26 PM]

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm sure GM will bring them back at some point in the future. There's way too much brand awareness built up in those two names to let them go.
Hopefully they'll re-design them so that they aren't a big car with no room in them.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
There hasn't been a decent looking Camaro since the 1968 Rally Sport, IMO.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I am disappointed, since for the price a Z28 is a great value for a sports car.
As for SUV's do we really need more. I just don't get the obession with them. Guess I will have to wait to 2004 if it true thats when they will be back.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Yeah Chevrolet should look more towards building a BMW beater. I think if you took the corvette designers they could build a nice sports car which would compete against the BMW 3 series in the looks and handling department and still be at a lower price point.
Some of those pontiac grand prix offerings are just butt ugly. I think that pontiac also makes a faster version of the grand prix but the name escapes me.
If GM could make a 2/4 dr which has 3.5 liter V8 which develops 250 horsepower which can then be supercharged, then they have a nice car on their hands.
The design teams which are producing grand prixs and azteks etc should be lined up along the firing wall. If you look at the new Chyrsler Sebring series you can see how much GM is lagging behind in the styling department.
Aaron

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. No love for the Camaro owners on this board, I see. I bought my V6 Camaro in '98 and I'm hoping to be in the financial position to purchase a Z28 next spring before they disappear.
Seriously, what's not to like. I mean, c'mon, for $24000 (a bit more than a V6 Honda Accord or my wife's new Passat) you get to drive off in a new Z28 strapped behind a 300+ HP 5.7L V8 Corvette engine! Toss in a 6-speed manual transmission and you're in driving nirvana.
drool.gif
Sure it's a little less comfortable than other cars, the interior's not the best, the back seat's cramped, but you're buying a SPORTS car, not a family sedan.
[/ Overexuberant defense of my choice of automobile ]
rolleyes.gif

Does the mullet still really exist? I do see the occasional old, mullet driven, stuck-in-the-eighties firebird on the road but it's hardly the rule. :)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I am with you Shawn.
I love the camaro, I have my 94 V6 which I got new and only have 67,000 miles on it. Recently I was playing with the idea of moving up to the V8 and now I will really have to consider it. What model year will be the last?
BTW, Has anyone driven the new Altima, the 3.5 has 240 HP, not bad for a non sports car.

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm sad to hear that the F-body cars will be going away. I've wanted one since 1995 and almost signed on the dotted line in 98 but realized owning my current car (93 Saturn) with NO CAR PAYMENT was too good to give up.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
The September issue of Motor Trend has an article speculating the future of the GM F-body. Below is my favorite of the designs they featured, which hearkens back to the '69 Camaro. Check out the online version of this article http://www.motortrend.com/aug01/5thchevy/5thchevy_f.html
I want this car!
cool.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks