What's new

No MonsterCables for the GameCube (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have the component cables for GameCube and they work fine, well even. I really can't see cables making much of a difference in the picture so much that I would spend another $60 for them.

I personally think that while Monster cables are good and high quality, they are overpriced.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
READ, DAMN YOU, READ. If you like the way the Nintendo ones look, then fine. Don't respond because I am obviously NOT talking to you. How many times do I have to say this.

Nintendo is your only choice anyway, for now.

Read what? A nonexistent spec list.

I know there are no monster cables for GameCube, but based on the quality I've seen with their other component cables, I don't think you'll see a difference in quality if Monster did produce cables similar to their PS2 and general component sets.

The Nintendo cables are a good build and have a nice snug fit on my inputs. It would take a high quality production to make me switch. I like the Canare connectors used by others, but Monster isn't about to use those so I'm more than satisfied that the Nintendo cables are the best we will see.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Mr. Little,

To answer your 2nd Question.

I think your comparing apples and oranges.

The Monster Component Cables I'm using are connected from an 800 DVD player, and plugged into a 2000 Reciever, and a 3200 RPTV. If I'm spending that type of money, I'm going to look for the best I can. If this means a 5-10% difference in video quality, I'm all for it.

But for a 199 Dollar Video game, where I'm not doing critical Video Viewing, 95 Percent Pic quality is ok in my book.....

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Joseph S,

I should apologize for my comments. They were a tad harsh considering the situation. The only point I was trying to get across which seemed to have gotten lost in the responses was that for those who feel content with what was currently available, that they did not necessarily need to respond. The topic at hand was for the lack of higher quality cables. I hope all will be forgotten and this little nastiness put behind us.

The Monster Component Cables I'm using are connected from an 800 DVD player, and plugged into a 2000 Reciever, and a 3200 RPTV. If I'm spending that type of money, I'm going to look for the best I can. If this means a 5-10% difference in video quality, I'm all for it.

But for a 199 Dollar Video game, where I'm not doing critical Video Viewing, 95 Percent Pic quality is ok in my book.....

This was the most thought out response yet in this thread. Thanks Steven for the post. Essentially, you are saying that for you, gaming is not critical viewing for yourself. However, for an enthusiast that extra 5-10% would be worth it. My thought process on component video as a connectivity option is that by removing the unnecessary process of combining all colors onto one carrier which then needs to be decoded back to RGB, you eliminate color loss/bleeding/noise as much as possible. That 5-10% is wholly going to be in the color saturation end by the sheer nature of cable engineering. It maybe less than 15% total improvement, but enthusiasts should rejoice if their display is a good one.

So, the issue at hand is to let other companies know about the support we as consumers will have for the GameCube. I have played several hours on one, but have yet to purchase my own. I can't wait and plan to purchase within the month. I know that several articles are dead-panning GameCube the bronze winner purely on surveys, but that shouldn't stop Monster or Pelican to get into the game with better interconnects.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Maybe a slight cable fanboy here, but I can say for sure I am no particular system fanboy. Atari 2600, NES, Dreamcast, PS2, PS1(for imports), and X-Box all currently hooked up to my TV. I have a few more systems in the closet. Hey, I gotta have a few inputs for DVD. Right??

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If the Monster cables were available and you are as into gaming as you say you are, then I could understand buying the Monster cables. Right now, I think the Nintendo ones are better than nothing and should be considered, if not simply because there are no Monster cables, then because they are pretty damn good anyway.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Well, unfortunately no furthur than the coaxial portion. Not that it really matters on an Atari, since the signal derived is RF. I did make a better switch, however. The one that came with the system caused me to pick up OTA stations on my cable because of the old fashioned sliding switch. Here's how I did it. The RCA end coming off of the system that plugs into the switch IS straight RF attaching a barrel connector to this allows another RCA to be hooked up. I attached an RCA to F-Connector adapter to it and then screwed on a 2 ft coax. That allows the use of a good Coaxial A/B selector to switch. Interference gone;)
The only systems hooked up with monster are the PS2 and the X-Box. The PS1 and Dreamcast are both hooked up through the Pelican adapter that has 3 different connections for 3 different systems. If you haven't seen this little adapter, here's the only link I could find. Pelican didn't make it easy to find on their site anymore.
http://www.bestbuy.com/videogames/pr...=969&scat=1113

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks