What's new

No MonsterCables for the GameCube (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I emailed MonsterCable earlier in the week, asking them about the posibility of GameCube component cables, since people like their PS2 and XBox ones so much. Carl Lewison, the email contact for the company, replied that they simply don't have the manpower to make them any time soon.

Oh well.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
they simply don't have the manpower to make them any time soon.
That's a load of shit! My guess would be they don't see the Gamecube as a "Home Entertainment System" therefor, it will not benifit from their cables.

I guess also, if Monster were to look at it from Nintendo's "target" audience standpoint, they don't see little kids ages 6-12 caring much about progressive scan and quad-shielded cables.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Why not just get official Nintendo ones? They're cheaper.
Yeah, and they are 100% unshielded. They are the same cheap crap that comes with VCR's and DVD's. I don't care if you want to spend an arm and a leg or not, but Mad Katz and Pelican both have better than Nintendo versions of cables. :angry: I can personally attest to that crappy Nintendo cable sucking. I owned an S-video for my N64. I got rid of it and picked up the Pelican with S and Composite on one end; PS2(and 1),Dreamcast, and N64 on the other.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jeremy,

Did you have a Nintendo Gamecube component video cable or are you just comparing them to what others were like for previous systems??

I'm not doubting you, just wondering if you had actually seen a GC set of cables.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I have seen the "Official Nintendo GameCube Release Packet". It contains pics of all of the accessories, and they look exactly like the standard plugs that come free with DVD players except for the other end where they have the break-out. These are constructed similar to the way Sony made its cables as well. I commonly refer to them as patch-cords, since it seems less derogatory than calling them crap. Here's a pretty decent link, although the packet I saw the picture was about 3 times the size.
http://store.nintendo.com/cgi-bin/nc...UBE.d2w/report

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I understand what you are saying and I don't want to start a cable war. If you don't want to spend money on Monster (which they currently don't offer anyhow) then don't. DO NOT, however, pay for the sh*t Nintendo is selling. Buy something made by someone like Mad Catz or Pelican. I have already said this. A shielded cable DOES make a difference, and enough of a difference to notice. IF you want to take the leap for better connections AND are willing to pay for Monster, get them. Please take ALL capitalization in the preceding paragraph as stress points/ inflections and read it as such. After you do that, you will realize that I am not trying to start an argument over "Expensive" cables vs. "Cheapos". I am merely stating my own personal experiences with connections and trying to help out to make these next gen. systems look like

1st. The best you are willing to make it.

2nd. The most incredible picture possible.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I understand your point, and don't want to start a war either.

But are Monster cables really worth waiting for and paying $30 more over the Nintendo ones? Maybe the picture is a little better, but I doubt its $30 better.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
But are Monster cables really worth waiting for and paying $30 more over the Nintendo ones? Maybe the picture is a little better, but I doubt its $30 better.
If you think people around here won't pay $30 to reduce noise in their picture, you might want to consider reminding yourself that this is the Gaming area of the Home Theater Forum, not IGN or Cloudchaser. :rolleyes

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
When I was buying the cables for my HT, all of which are Monster Cable, I paid just over $70 for their top of the line Ultra Optical cable and it's barely 2 feet long.

So yeah, $30 is no problem for me.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
But are Monster cables really worth waiting for and paying $30 more over the Nintendo ones?
Apparently you do not think so, otherwise you would not still be asking. After spending around $500 on a system and games, $400 on GameCube since the console itself is cheaper, what is another $30 to get a better picture?

By the way, you said $30. I think it would not be quite that much. The difference in Component Video by Monster and Sony is only like $15. The Monster is also 10ft. long compared to 6ft.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At Circuit City, PS2 component cables were $30 and the Monster ones were at least $60, so there it was a $30 difference.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The $60 also includes an optical cable that is 10ft. long unless CC is selling above retail, which I find hard to believe.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Jeremy,

After spending around $25,000 on Hardware, I can tell you the Nintendo Component Cables work just fine. I have had the gamet on different cables in my Home Theater career, and the Nintendo cables are up to the task. If Monster Cable came out with a pair for the Cube, I wouldn't even consider the purchase.....

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I'd have to agree with Steve here, the Nintendo component cables do a fair job. I wouldn't bother changing either.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
After spending around $25,000 on Hardware, I can tell you the Nintendo Component Cables work just fine.
Obviously, the picture of a game system is not as important to you as your HD picture. Why is it you'll buy Monster cable platinum component cables and Monster speaker wire, but not for a game system. Would you buy a set Nintendo constructed for that, utilizing the same construction? Be honest.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, the picture of a game system is not as important to you as your HD picture. Why is it you'll buy Monster cable platinum component cables and Monster speaker wire, but not for a game system. Would you buy a set Nintendo constructed for that, utilizing the same construction? Be honest.

Not my system, but...

I think the problem is that some of us just don't find that Monster Cables are worth the price for the level of quality. With BetterCables, CatCables, and others you get a higher quality product at a cheaper rate. Comparable speakerwire can also be had at Home Depot for less.

In my view, Nintendo's component cables are as good as Monster will give you so it's not a big deal.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Mr. Little,

The only available Component Cables for the Cube right now are from Nintendo. After seeing the performance of there product, I find no need to switch to a higher end cable.

I have used this cable on my Sony Wega 480i 27 Inch Tv and my Widescreen Mitsubishi RPTV at 480P. The image on the WS TV was stunning. This cable gets the job done!!!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
After seeing the performance of there product, I find no need to switch to a higher end cable.
Ok, but you side-stepped my question. If Nintendo was to construct a cable similar which was standard component video cables, would you be willing to trade your Monster Platinum component cables in your system out for the Nintendo option?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks