What's new

No love for Apple in HTF? (1 Viewer)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The information about converting a .mac account is in the e-mail FAQs
Converting your .Mac trial account to an email-only account
IMPORTANT: If you want to convert your .Mac trial account to an email-only account, you cannot do this directly. You must have a full .Mac member, who has purchased an additional email-only account, include your converted account as part of their membership. Once your trial account has been converted, all your data files (except for your email messages) will be removed from Apple's servers. Other .Mac services, such as iDisk, HomePage, Backup, and Virex, are not accessible to email-only accounts.
To convert someone else's trial account to email-only, you must be a full .Mac member who has purchased an additional email-only account. Go to www.mac.com click Account in the .Mac menu bar, then click the Email Account Management button. Enter the member name and password of the trial account you want to convert, then click Convert.
Print the email-only account information for future reference, then click Continue.
Link is here
But if you look at this entry in the FAQ, it says that it costs the owner $10 per year to add another email account.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
For a little bit of good news, it appears the current 10.2 developer's build (6C115) has been declared the gold master. Man, I just love this update. So, so many improvements. Only three weeks from release. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I don't know if I consider this a great release. Most of the things are merely accessories that I probably won't use. Like iChat - I use ICQ now, iChat doesn't support it. iCal - I use Entourage and its calendar. I like having one app that does Email and Calendar. Although, the Mail client may finally be feature rich enough to be usable. Jobs didn't speak much of performance gains - hopefully that will be the case with Jaguar.

Oh, and I heard that you can finally take screen shots of the DVD Player. Anyone have Jaguar that can verifiy?

The important thing to me and my job is Jaguar Server. Apple is finally ditching NetInfo for LDAP based authentication.

Oh yeah, the new Sherlock looks like it could be useful.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Archos Jukebox? So, for the nominal 80Mb/s speed gain, you get an MP3 player thats twice as heavy and twice as thick as an iPod. Blech.
And while USB 2.0 is marginally faster than Firewire, it still won't appear in DV cameras or high end audio equipment anytime soon.
And while all the PC'ers run out to buy USB 2.0 boards, Apple users will be buying machines with Firewire 2 transferring data at almost twice the paltry USB 2.0 standard of 480Mb/s.
Good thing Apple is here to lead the pack. USB 2.0, even with its faster throughput, is still an inferior technology. But, Apple, I'm sure will use it for keyboards and mice. :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Oh, and I heard that you can finally take screen shots of the DVD Player. Anyone have Jaguar that can verifiy?
Negative. You still cannot do a screen grab with Apple's utility while DVD Player is open. You can still use Snapz Pro X, though. That currently works under 10.1 as well.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I believe Snapz Pro only works with the GeForce cards. Well, that is a bummer. You can use vlc however as a substitute video player.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Good news:
Rendezvous - works great
Best news:
Thank you for contacting M-audio. I've been informed that the DVD player that was showcased at M-world with the Sonica will be released soon. I can't officially say when, but it will be available for download on the website.
The DVD player demoed passed digital out via the M-Audio sonica and since it is their own player there are now 3 DVD players for OS X.2. :D Updated drivers for the Audiophile will be released too!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Whats Sonica? Whats M-Audio?
http://www.m-audio.com
USB Sonica is a new $80 usb device available now that will allow output of digital audio via the usb bus. M-Audio is the company that made this and also makes other products including the Audiophile 2496 PCI Card that give digital/analog/midi ins and outs in OS X.
What 3 players?
1)Apple DVD Player
2)Video Lan Client http://www.videolan.org/vlc/macosx.html
3)M-Audio DVD Player for OS X and ? hardware
To be released soon.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Of course that isn't in Jaguar and will likely be a separate release. If it is the same one pictured above though it shouldn't be too far away. If that which is pictured above is nothing but an AppleScript studio frontend to VLC then who knows when Apple's new player arrives.
On the good side, it works very well and VLC is constantly being updated and hopefully will continue to have a spdif option enabled in future releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks