No AVIA or Video Essentials- Use Receiver Tones or THX Optimizer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Edward, Jul 16, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

As I stated in a different thread, I'll be helping someone set channel levels over the phone. He is not an enthusiast, so he does not have AVIA or VE.

Do you feel the receiver test tones or THX Optimizer would be the better way to set levels? I'm not looking to set a specific reference, just to balance the 5 channels and sub relative to one another.

Thanks for any thoughts...

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Interesting. Now I have to go downstairs and recalibrate my levels with receiver tones. The bandwidth issue you stated makes perfect sense. I, like most other HTF members, have used VE(or AVIA) to set levels, but Roger's answer would explain why levels set from a disc differ from those of the receiver.

Thanks Phil.

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Ed and Phil,

I tremendously value both of your opinions. I currently already own both a SPL meter and Video Essentials. I have an Onkyo 600 receiver. In light of the above posts, would you use VE or the internal test tones, or a combination of both. My two main concerns are getting the sub level correct, and getting the rear center correct (obviously VE doesn't cover it).
    Thanks
    Greg

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Greg try both and see how different they really are. For my I've found my rotel products (1055,1066 and 1098) all to come out with levels that match Avia's within a few dB so it doesn't really matter which I use...the advantage I have with Avia (or VE) though is that they give me a known reference level (85 db with Avia) that you wouldn't know with the internal test tones. That may or may not matter to you though

6. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

I know the test tones in Avia were created so as to minimize the effect of reflections and speaker response.

In my setup the receiver (Denon 2802) test tones and the avia test tones are pretty much identical (+-.5 db difference), but with the receiver the needle does jump a bit more.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Sorry for the slight diversion from the topic but where would be a good site to order the AVIA or VE disk?

thanks

9. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks for the help

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I initially did my speaker balance with my 43TX's internal test tones and the sub ended up being about 7db weak when compared to Sound & Vision Guide to HT Tuneup. When I used the S&V disc and calibrated to 85db the sub level was correct, before w/ the internal tones it sounded extremely weak on scenes I knew from previous experience should have alot of bass.

I would go with one of the better reference calibration discs, but if you can't get ahold of one, just compare the results of your internal tones w/ those of a THX DVD and make sure everything SOUNDS right on a scene you know.