What's new

No AVIA or Video Essentials- Use Receiver Tones or THX Optimizer? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As I stated in a different thread, I'll be helping someone set channel levels over the phone. He is not an enthusiast, so he does not have AVIA or VE.

Do you feel the receiver test tones or THX Optimizer would be the better way to set levels? I'm not looking to set a specific reference, just to balance the 5 channels and sub relative to one another.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
That makes perfect sense when the signals are analog. But these test tones are all recorded in Dolby Digital, so they don't exist as PCM until they reach the decoder chip. There's nothing that your DVD player can do to in any way to alter or affect those signal levels. All it can do is not play them, or play them perfectly.

That same chip is where the internal noise is generated, so there's nothing about the external signals that's any better or worse, assuming they have the same frequency spectrum. Some noise signals have a wider bandwidth, like th THX Optimode signals, and these will sound and measure differently in most cases. They will be wrong if they measure differently, because it only means the various speakers are not identical in response.

Dolby makes sure the internal noise is calibrated in level and meets certain spectral requirements.

------------------
Roger Dressler
Dolby Laboratories
So, based on Roger's comments above, use the internal test tones.

Phil

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Interesting. Now I have to go downstairs and recalibrate my levels with receiver tones. The bandwidth issue you stated makes perfect sense. I, like most other HTF members, have used VE(or AVIA) to set levels, but Roger's answer would explain why levels set from a disc differ from those of the receiver.

Thanks Phil.

GregBe

Second Unit
Ed and Phil,

I tremendously value both of your opinions. I currently already own both a SPL meter and Video Essentials. I have an Onkyo 600 receiver. In light of the above posts, would you use VE or the internal test tones, or a combination of both. My two main concerns are getting the sub level correct, and getting the rear center correct (obviously VE doesn't cover it).
Thanks
Greg

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Greg try both and see how different they really are. For my I've found my rotel products (1055,1066 and 1098) all to come out with levels that match Avia's within a few dB so it doesn't really matter which I use...the advantage I have with Avia (or VE) though is that they give me a known reference level (85 db with Avia) that you wouldn't know with the internal test tones. That may or may not matter to you though

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I know the test tones in Avia were created so as to minimize the effect of reflections and speaker response.

In my setup the receiver (Denon 2802) test tones and the avia test tones are pretty much identical (+-.5 db difference), but with the receiver the needle does jump a bit more.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
My two main concerns are getting the sub level correct, and getting the rear center correct (obviously VE doesn't cover it).
Then I recommend DOLBY DIGITAL DVD DEMO DISC -
"The Explore Our World" ...

... Dolby Digital EX test tones, ... which also uses the less jarring 75 dB Calibration SPL (Dolby standard for consumers) and a super, easy dedicated LFE test tone. Other included Test Tones is Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic-II and Dolby Pro Logic. Many of the previously released DD-5.1 Trailers from "We've Got the Whole World Listening" are included including 2 new Dolby Digital EX trailers, although no additional DD-5.1 music.

Dolby's DVD graphic living room and test tone DVD Remote Control Interface is far superior to the S&V DVD, ... which I also have.

Using Dolby Labs DVD, my Yamaha RX-V1300 FINAL REF CALIBRATION RESULTS are ...

NOTE: JBL S26's (x6), JBL S-Center and SVS 25-31PCi
.... a) Dolby Digital EX HT Speaker Test Tones = 75 dB
.... b) Dolby Digital EX LFE Test Tone = 77 dB AVG (highest RS SPL Meter needle swing = 78 dB / lowest = 76 dB)
.... c) SVS 25-31PCi Sub Level = 1/2 power (12 o'clock position)

Volume Control Display = -20.0
LEVEL MENU
- CENTER:... -7.0
- R SUR:....... +2.5
- REAR CT:.. +5.0 (pair wired in-series)
- L SUR:........ +2.5
- SWFR:....... -8.5*

SETUP MENU
- LFE:............ -9*

*The Bass support is 100% A-OK when switching between my DD/DTS DVDs Digital LFE bass to my analog bass 2-channel Music CD's (DPL TV shows, VHS tapes, etc.)!!!

Phil

Rick-S

Agent
Sorry for the slight diversion from the topic but where would be a good site to order the AVIA or VE disk?

thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I initially did my speaker balance with my 43TX's internal test tones and the sub ended up being about 7db weak when compared to Sound & Vision Guide to HT Tuneup. When I used the S&V disc and calibrated to 85db the sub level was correct, before w/ the internal tones it sounded extremely weak on scenes I knew from previous experience should have alot of bass.

I would go with one of the better reference calibration discs, but if you can't get ahold of one, just compare the results of your internal tones w/ those of a THX DVD and make sure everything SOUNDS right on a scene you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.