What's new

Nintendo Announces the "Super GameBoy Advance" for GameCube (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Click here to read more about it.
Essentially this is a device that will allow you to play GameBoy Advance titles on your GameCube. The device plugs into one of the ports on the bottom of the GCN. You plug the GBA games into this attachment and add in a GBA emulator disc disc tray. Viola! GBA games on your TV! Naturally, this device will also also play regular GameBoy and GameBoy Color titles. Whether it will enhance these games in any way is still unknown.
All I can say is, hallelujah! This is a device I could certainly use. I love the idea of playing some GBA games on my TV. I know the Super GameBoy was one of the better gaming investments I ever made.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I was waiting for this, just got done reading over on PGC. Very, very cool idea!, the possibilities are endless depending on what Nintendo decides to do exactly. I wonder if online play would be possible for GBA titles? On second glance, it appears it plugs into the high-speed port on the GC so unless we are talking about modem that seems unlikely. In any case, MP with 4 controllers would be a blast on some GBA titles.
Playing Advance Wars on the couch with a controller works well for me :). On a sidenote, I've always been a fan of how Nintendo designs their hardware (aesthetically at least), very slick.
Shot in platinum:

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jehan;
As far as I know, the broadband adaptor is the same size and shape as the modem. Therfore, you would still be able to use this new device and play games online (assuming that the GCN had more, if any, titles to play down the road).
EDIT: I just checked out Planet GameCube's hardware section and the broadband adaptor is indeed the same size and shape as the modem. So online play is still indeed possible with the Super GameBoy Advance attached to the unit. Click here to see for yourself.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I already have my GBA-TV but it is more than awesome that Nintendo has finally listened to GBA owners and released an official solution! Way to go Nintendo!

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Oh no!
Great, and then there was that time when I said that the only thing keeping me from getting a GBA was the ability to play titles on my TV set...
Sigh :D.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The main reason i have kept my GBA is for Advance Wars. Finally being able to play it on a large screen is awesome. Sign me up for a black one :)

capt

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Can we say Cha Ching! I am so there for this! Castlevania on the big screen here I come.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
240x160 resolution on a bigscreen TV? Hmmmm. Maybe in a window it wouldn't look too bad.

Shouldn't this be in the hardware area? Maybe it's really time we consolidate the two areas.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
240x160 resolution on a bigscreen TV? Hmmmm. Maybe in a window it wouldn't look too bad.
It actually does not look bad at all. I have the GBA-TV via an S-video connection and many of the GBA titles look very clean and quite good.(Especially Advanced Wars and Castlevania HOD). You'd be suprised.

The GBA-TV allows you to window the games and play them in thier native 240X160 resolution or you can have them fill the screen at a resolution of 320X240. The stretching is not bad but it does create a kind of "smearing" affect on sidescrollers and the like. I personally prefer the window technique myself. Hopefully this device will allow the same functionality as the GBA-TV.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I can't stress how cool this device is. I already am picturing playing Castlevania, Super Mario Kart Advance, and Advance Wars on the screen. Nintendo... you made my day. :)
Glen

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey, there is already a thread about this here.
Don't make me slap you with a Turkey Knapp. :wink:
*I kid, I kid!* :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Now, if only Nintendo could come up with something like this for NES and SNES games, I'd be a happy camper :).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
That is tre-cool. Now all I need is an official backlit gameboy advance and nintendo will be my new favorite company. Gotta wait till may 2003 though for the North American release...man thats a long way away.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Now that I think about it, this really is a way to expand what the GBA games can hold in them. They could have unlockable extras, extra video modes for the GCN adapter, go online....it's insane! They could even do ports of SNES games with all 6 original SNES buttons mapped to the GameCube controller!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,

They could have gone nuts with the Super Gameboy as well. But they didn't. I know that they had special versions of Galaga and Space Invaders that ran special 'Super Gameboy only' code and were better than color-enhanced versions of the regular Gameboy games (was actually SNES code hidden in the Gameboy cartridges). But that was about it as I recall....

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Awesome--I've got a GBA and a bunch of games (just picked up Metroid Fusion today), but I hardly ever play it because I rarely travel and hate the tiny screen.

I've never even finished the three GameBoy Zelda games I have because I can't stand playing them on the GBA--so this thing is a godsend. They shoulda done this last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks