What's new

Nine inch nails. dts or dd?? (1 Viewer)

Jim Thor

Grip
I just found out that the jan 22 release of Nine inch nails fragility dvd can be bought in Dts or DD but not both of the same disc? I have never heard of such a way to do dvd's.

Anyone here think this is a tad bit odd?

I am going to go with the dts version, I think dts will sound better for this group.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just found out that the jan 22 release of Nine inch nails fragility dvd can be bought in Dts or DD but not both of the same disc? I have never heard of such a way to do dvd's.

Anyone here think this is a tad bit odd?
No, it's occurred many times in the past - there are quite a few DTS-only DVDs out there...

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Originally there was supposed to be one DVD with both DTS and DD 5.1. Why they couldn't do it that way I don't know, would've be nice. Note that if you get the DTS version it won't have on the fly camera angle changing capabilities for the scenes with mulitple angles available, due to bitrate restrictions. The extra angles will be available in a separate section. See here:
http://www.nineinchnails.net/news/jan02/011102-02.asp
With that said, I'm getting the DTS version. What I don't know is originally there was also going to be a limited edition DVD version with a bonus disc. Whether both audio versions will be available with the bonus disc I don't know. There is also supposed to be a deluxe CD version that has two discs as opposed to the normal single CD version. All these different versions are getting confusing and they keep changing the the versions. Now I've heard the bonus disc "Still" will be available thru mail order if you don't be the deluxe version. However, I don't know if "Still" is the bonus disc that is supposed to come with the CD or the DVD and what the other bonus disc will contain.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
from what iv'e read, still is the bonus disk that comes with the cd, and will be available i think in limited quantities for mail order, but the limited edition cd is in fact that, limited, i dont think you can even order it from amazon anymore. (my cd shipped today, but not the dvd yet). and the songs on there are like 11 or so 'deconstructed' songs. i think that means basically like nin unplugged

i never heard of any bonus disk ever coming with the dvd, so that is new to me, i also ordered the dts. reznor himself said it sounds much better. oh, and i am very looking foward to this release.

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going for the D.D. 5.1 version. One of the things that i really enjoy in music dvds is the multi-angle feature. It's a fantastic idea. As much as i would like to have this dvd in DTS, i much prefer to be able to switch angles in real time.

I'm just glad the dvd is finally coming out.

Regards, António

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm going for the D.D. 5.1 version. One of the things that i really enjoy in music dvds is the multi-angle feature. It's a fantastic idea. As much as i would like to have this dvd in DTS, i much prefer to be able to switch angles in real time.
You REALLY won't miss much if you go with the DTS one. I received the DD version today, and the "multi-angle" feature consists of one alternate view for three consecutive songs. "La Mer", "The Great Below" and "The Mark Has Been Made" can be watched from a straight-on shot of the whole stage. That's it - no other multi-angle material appears.

I have to say, this is one of the weirdest DVD releases I've seen. It comes on TWO dual-layered discs despite the fact it really only needed one. The concert segment lasts only about 85 minutes. In addition, the second angle - on DVD One - fills about 14 minutes, while we also get the same footage accompanied by an audio commentary on DVD Two; since the latter includes some snippets of other songs, it runs about 16 minutes. The only other feature is a large still gallery.

As such, the total length of the video programming lasts about 115 minutes. The stills won't take much space, even though there are a lot of them. This means there's TONS of space left over on this set - I have no clue why they spread it to two DVDs.

One could argue this is the ultimate "Superbit"-style release, and some will feel it was the right choice to optimize picture quality. Unfortunately, this program will never look very good due to the original MiniDV equipment.

I have no idea why this whole thing wasn't put on one RSDL disc - it's bizarre. It also makes no sense that the disc doesn't include both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks. They could have put the program on ONE disc and provided both of those mixes and the quality STILL should have been the same; with so little content, an RSDL disc easily could handle all of that.

Frankly, I really wouldn't care except I don't like the fact the concert's split between two discs. The cut interrupts the flow of the show, and it comes at a fairly poor point. Overall, I'm happy to have the DVD and I like it - it does sound great - but some of the decisions made for it seem strange and they harm the overall package...

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Wow :eek:, i thought this multi-angle feature was for all of the performance. If what you say is true (and i do believe you), then that's just a poor excuse for multi-angle. Still, i think i will go for the DD version.
And i agree with you: why split the performance over two discs!!! it breaks the flow completely.
Why can't they get it right... :frowning:

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
You're right Shane D, there isn't going to be any special addition of the DVD. They finally opened the official web page and it has all the info on the various releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks