What's new

Night of the Living Dead on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the old Elite Millennium version of Night of the Living Dead ages and ages ago

(this version:
m5gWLKimZabmcrjGhgIFOAA.jpg
)

And I was thinking of finally finding a Blu Ray version to upgrade to. But being an insanely popular public domain movie, there are oodles and oodles of versions out on disc, enough that I'm not sure which Blu Ray is the best version. So I thought I'd come here and pick you guy's brains (braaaaaaains) and see what the Gold Standard for Blu version was.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'd figure Synapse since they seem have to absorbed most of Don May/Elite's assets.

Frankly I'm still waiting for a blu-ray port of the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead UE.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I picked up the old Elite Millennium version of Night of the Living Dead ages and ages ago

(this version:
m5gWLKimZabmcrjGhgIFOAA.jpg
)

And I was thinking of finally finding a Blu Ray version to upgrade to. But being an insanely popular public domain movie, there are oodles and oodles of versions out on disc, enough that I'm not sure which Blu Ray is the best version. So I thought I'd come here and pick you guy's brains (braaaaaaains) and see what the Gold Standard for Blu version was.
You made a good choice -- that's the best SD edition out there, still available (cheap) from Amazon. The PQ is quite awesome, really - sharp, with strong contrast and black levels, and it has two commentaries (one from Romero, the other from the cast), and trailer. Not bad for a PD title! For Blu-ray, there is the really excellent UK edition from Optimum that contains a Romero Documentary (SD/PAL), but is Region B locked. Between the two of these, I feel no urgency at all to upgrade.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I think the consensus best current BD is the Happinet version from Japan and it's surprisingly cheap esp if CDJapan still gives a 300point immediate discount for 1st time orders -- $15 shipped and I think it was a bit lower than that recently. It has basically the same transfer as the Optimum + several Documentary, etc. It has the same cropping issues that most of the better discs have. Most people that have seen it don't think it's a major negative.

":. Region A. Several scenes cropped but image very clean. From negative. Dimension transfer. Complete. Extras: 2 commentary tracks, the 83 minute "One For The Fire" documentary, a 17 minute audio interview with Duane Jones, and a theatrical trailer."

"an excellent bitrate, lossless audio, the 'One for the Fire' doc in HD, and two commentaries (plus the Duane Jones audio interview). The disc is region-free and comes in a cool black case."

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BIXF-23

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Dimension release may be slightly cropped but its still better than the smeary, chromafilled 20 year old laserdisc transfer on the Elite.

What's even funnier is if you use the THX optimizer, the film actually looks even worse!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so lets just suppose that this missing 9 minuets is the film that goes in between the jump cut, and they were to reassemble this from the original camera negative, would Romero be able to finally get this out of PD hell?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^Only that version would be non-PD, just like that awful, awful "Special Edition" from 15 years ago isn't.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I think the consensus best current BD is the Happinet version from Japan and it's surprisingly cheap esp if CDJapan still gives a 300point immediate discount for 1st time orders -- $15 shipped and I think it was a bit lower than that recently. It has basically the same transfer as the Optimum + several Documentary, etc. It has the same cropping issues that most of the better discs have. Most people that have seen it don't think it's a major negative.

":. Region A. Several scenes cropped but image very clean. From negative. Dimension transfer. Complete. Extras: 2 commentary tracks, the 83 minute "One For The Fire" documentary, a 17 minute audio interview with Duane Jones, and a theatrical trailer."

"an excellent bitrate, lossless audio, the 'One for the Fire' doc in HD, and two commentaries (plus the Duane Jones audio interview). The disc is region-free and comes in a cool black case."

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BIXF-23

Agreed. I got this edition last year and was very pleased with the PQ, AQ, and extras.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Frankly I'm still waiting for a blu-ray port of the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead UE.

There's my next question, now answered - if there was a blu of Dawn out there. Not that the old UE was bad or anything, but man that is a thick, thick box. I'd like some shelf back. :)

Between the two of these, I feel no urgency at all to upgrade.

Oh, the elite disc has served me well over the years - I love the hell out of it for sure. I was just wondering if someone had ported the Millenium version over to a super duper sexy package.

Okay, I might have to give that bad boy a spin. I've got some anime in my wishlist that I'm thinking of picking up anyway, and I have a ton of points from when I picked up my Yamato 2199 blu rays last month. 15 bucks on a roll of the dice? Sure - what the hell!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I have the Network BD, which is okay.... but that Japanese edition has been calling my name from afar for long enough. Ordered!

...and yes, I'll totally upgrade again if/when this fabled Scorsese edition surfaces. I'm resigned to the fact that there are some movies I'll keep rebuying for the rest of my life, and NOTLD is one of 'em.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
...and a mere 6 days later, the Japanese edition is in my possession! I'm still hanging onto the Netwerk edition because... well, that cover is effing awesome. I'd say I'm pretty much covered on the NOTLD front until a be-all-end-all Region 1 edition surfaces.

0521161256-2.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will have to pick that up. I know the Happinet 'Dawn Of The Dead' from Japan is very nice(except the nice booklet is in Japanese so I just have to enjoy the pictures).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks