What's new

Night of the Living Dead Millenium edition (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Jonny. I'm curious about this edition, too. So, can anybody out there help a couple of flesh-eating zombie fans? Thanks!

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I haven't seen a review yet and Circuit City had no copies when I went today. Could it possibly have been delayed? Hmmm... no, DVD Empire lists it as in stock.

From what I've read, all this edition does is add the rest of the extras from the laserdisc and throw in a 5.1 track. I still think I might stick with my current Elite DVD.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The video transfer is supposed to be cleaned up and has been re-certified by THX under the DVD guidelines.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Ed,

This is only Elite's second DVD of NotLD. If you count the CAV and CLV laserdiscs and the VHS of their transfer distributed by Anchor Bay, this would still only be their fifth crack at it, and all of the previous ones were derived from essentially the same transfer. Elite had nothing to do with the Anchor Bay abomination DVDs or the various PD crapola DVD releases from Madacy and the like.

This will be a dual layer release, the previous one was a two-sided single layer release with the entire film and all extras duplicated on both sides.

Regards,

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in as someone else eager to hear any news on this release. If I don't hear anything soon I'm gonna have to give in and order it.

Richard

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I just picked it up from a local chain in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market...Movie Trading Company. Is is essentially a 100% port of the old LaserDisc...with nothing missing or added. The transfer looks very good...but I would have to do investigation to determine if it is superior to the old LD transfer. One minor note of irritation already.... the THX notice/trailer is forced! I couldnt skip or even skim it.... I had to rush to turn the volume down.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
And now I have a reason to retire mine. The only reason I hadn't purchased the previous Elite version is because all the features were not ported. Maybe I will keep the LD for nostalgia's sake....

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
And now I have a reason to retire mine. The only reason I hadn't purchased the previous Elite version is because all the features were not ported. Maybe I will keep the LD for nostalgia's sake....
Well actually I can't imagine the compressed Dobly Digital track on this sounding nearly as good as the LDs PCM audio.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ken_McAlinden,

There were three DVD's, all from differant producers, of NotLD out in 98. With the THX version, being the 'best'.

Then in 01 or 02, there were two special ed. releases. Both were numbered. I believe one single disc & one double disc [although, both could have been doubles with one with a CD. Someone else to clarify, please. I've seen alot of DVD's since then!].

Also, Total Movie has NotLD on one of their DVD's.

So maybe it's seven!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My point was that Elite was only responsible for one of those releases (The "THX" version). All of the others were either Public Domain crap-o-la or the Anchor Bay abomination with the techno-whhezing re-score and/or incredibly misguided sub-Greedo shooting first new footage. There is also a pretty decent Columbia DVD of the Tom Savini directed re-make.

Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ok, so what about the bottom line: Is the new disc an improvement over the very good previous DVD from Elite? Should I upgrade or not?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does the new dvd include those frozen frames used on the previous Elite version to sort of fix bad frames. It wasn't terribly distracting, but I was wondering if the freeze framed images are still there.

I have this DVD.

I have only watched the first 10 minutes or so.

The video quality is excellent so far. It looks about the same as the previous Elite version.

The "freeze" or "pause" frames are still there.

The cover art is cool.

But the red keep case is not so cool.

Oh, and this version at least has an insert with a 2 page essay by Stephen King.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Rain....I would say that if you were happy with everything (picture quality, amount of extras, sound mix) on the previous Elite version, then you would be safe to bypass the purchase as the difference is negligible. I only purchased for the additional extras and the convenience of having a DVD copy, which I have never had previously. Dave... the 5.1 is very timid...with almost no surround action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks