What's new

Night of the Living Dead (Mill Creek) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so I was on the other site, and saw a Mill Creek announcement, I know that the film is in the PD, and most of us are waiting to see the Romero/Scorsese restoration from Criterion, but if you want to have it prior to Halloween, this might be it, and it will be a cheap price till what I can only hope is the definitive version comes out. Some were saying that it seems like a bad cash grab to capitalize on Romero's death, sort of like how the rushed Postcards from the edge after Carrie Fishers passing.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
The Blu-Ray steelbook of the 1968 movie is probably the best in my collection and they did a wonderful job on it.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but have Criterion confirmed they'll be releasing it at some point? If so, I'll wait.

The last version of NOTLD I bought was the original Elite Entertainment DVD in 1998...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but have Criterion confirmed they'll be releasing it at some point? If so, I'll wait.

The last version of NOTLD I bought was the original Elite Entertainment DVD in 1998...
Yes. They are currently touring the restoration under the Janus label.
One potential concern might be that this Blu-ray release by Mill Creek could cut into Criterion's bottom line, and scuttle plans for their own release. If so, this would be a huge shame, especially with the NOTLD's 50th Anniversary right around the corner! I hope that this doesn't prove to be the case!

CHEERS! :)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Wonder if either new release ( Criterion or Mill Creek) will include the colorized version (colorizing done in mid 2000s I believe, not the one done in late 1980s)?

On a side note the Mad Film Colorization Heretic just bit his tongue while enjoying a snack!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Mill Creek licensed a ton of stuff from Sony. Is it possible this is the 1990 remake?

Mike S.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
In case any one was thinking of picking this up, I would highly recommend avoiding it. It's public domain garbage -- soft and filled with scratches and dirt. My Dimension DVD disc from 2008 still beats it, easily. That disc is still the best I've ever seen, at least until the hoped-for Criterion issue.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's nearly as bad as most PD releases, but you are correct, Mark, that it isn't good enough to spend money on it. I suspect Criterion will release their restoration on disc before too long. That one will be the one to get. They've released PD films before, so the fact that there are multiple releases of NotLD out there won't deter them. See Carnival of Souls, for example.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Why this film gets released by so many labels?
Mill Creek released it this month, Criterion will be releasing it in a new restoration from what I know next year, and Film Detective just announced it for their label too! :blink:

Ok, I'm in a complaining mode now, but there are so many great classic films that don't have even one release, and this one gets 3! (if we leave out the older ones)

edit: Hmmm.. Maybe I'm mistaken and they won't release it.. I can't understand from their facebook post.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It's public domain due to a copyright glitch. Any Joe Sixpack can put NOTLD out on home video, although Romero only made money off of the Elite and Anchor Bay versions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sorry, cropped from my PC screen. More can be found at caps-a-holic.

Elite DVD
notlddvd.jpg

Optimum UK Blu-ray
notlduk.jpg

Network UK Blu-ray
notlduknetwork.jpg

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
I have seen the Janus Films release currently in release, and it looks & sounds fantastic--there's every reason to think Criterion will distribute it on Blu/DVD next year. And as far as I know, Janus/Criterion are the only ones actually compensating Image Ten (Romero's production company). My advice: hold off on further NOTLD purchases until the Criterion issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks