What's new

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER... SE in the near future? (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

I sure would, preacher, in a full-fledged NIGHT OF THE HUNTER SE DVD. The bare-bones DVD was released over 6 years ago, while other MGM catalog titles, released around that time and more recently (THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN, A BRIDGE TOO FAR, THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, THE GREAT ESCAPE, etc), have gotten SE upgrades in recent years.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else here, but my current R1 NIGHT OF THE HUNTER DVD always defaults to english subtitles whenever I load the disc into my player, so I have to shut that option off manually, every time.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

For the second time in 24 hours I've watched NoTH (no chore at all), this time at 1.85:1 and it was almost like watching it for the first time; what a revelation. It's framed beautifully for that AR; though I will say a couple of scenes lose just a touch of the impact of that slightly surreal, slightly unreal feeling Laughton and Stanley Cortez impart to the film; the trade off is that their compositions look even more perfect.

I can't believe I didn't see it before.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
This film is one of my 10 favorites as well!

For those in the Los Angeles area, NOTH will be showing at the AERO theatre in Santa Monica on Apr 19. Here's the info Courtesy of their website:

Wednesday, April 19 – 7:30 PM

Film Critic Kevin Thomas’ Favorites:

Kevin Thomas has picked his ten favorite films to be screened at the Aero – don’t miss this monthly occasion to revisit these classics, including SUNSET BOULEVARD, LOLA MONTES, A STAR IS BORN and many other wonderful movies.

Homage to Shelley Winters

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, 1955, Sony Repertory, 93 min. Actor Charles Laughton’s one excursion behind the camera gave birth to this pantheon movie marvel, Laughton’s simultaneous debut and swan song as a film director. Robert Mitchum is astonishing as a wandering sociopathic preacher who uses his fire-and-brimstone fundamentalism to mask his schemes to bilk money from gullible yokels, and when that doesn’t work, to blithely rob and murder. Puritanical Shelley Winters, left alone with her son and daughter after husband Peter Graves is sent to jail for robbery, is a perfect target for smooth-talking Mitchum who has gotten wind of the hidden loot. Lillian Gish is rock-solid as the elderly matron who shelters the children when they flee with homicidal Mitchum in pursuit. A genuine work of cinematic poetry and a trenchant allegory on the hypocrisy and evil waiting just below the surface in seemingly harmonious communities.

Introduction to film by Shelley Winters’ friend, Kevin Thomas. Reception for members and Kevin Thomas’ guests only starting at 6:30 PM.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I had never seen it until last year. I always knew it was considered to be one of Mitchum's signature roles, and of course he lived up to the hype, but I had no idea that Lillian Gish was so great in it as well. I was stunned by how brilliant she was in that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks