What's new

Nibiru and Planet X....What's this all about? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What is the story about this? I heard its a rogue planet who will hit or come near us in 2012. Is this what the new Emmerich film 2012 is about? I know some people think its real.

Thanks!

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"According to a NASA Astro-biologist, it is a non existent hoax."

Is this like a double negative? If it's not a hoax, it's real -- right?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The 2012 date comes from the Mayan calendar, which ends, IIRC, on May 5th 2012 - supposedly predicting the end of the world. A number of mostly vague "prophecies' of one sort or another have been reinterpretted to also point to 2012 to cash in on the current interest. The "Planet X" thing appears to be just another example, dressed up in more plausible scientific form. When the sun rises on May 6, 2012, a lot of people are going to be very disappointed.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(But not properly embarassed, or any wiser. They will just announce that they forgot to carry the "7", select a new date for the end of the world and start the whole process again.)

Regards,

Joe

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I thought Planet X was supposed to hit some years back.

I guess it is like the transition to digital tv...the date just gets pushed back and will probably never happen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If one did a search for "end of world prophecies", one would get quite a few results.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This kills me. When writing a calendar, you've got to get tired and quit at some point. The only alternative is to make a calendar that never ends, and that seems to be the only thing the Mayans could have done to avoid perpetrating this belief. Too bad it's impossible.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Really, the economy could have gone south and the calendar dept was closed due to cut backs.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, not quite.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
As it happens, the Mayan calendar traces a 5,000+ year cycle called the "Long Count." In Mayan notation, December 21st 2012 (not May 5th, as I said earlier) is expressed as the equivalent of 13.0.0.0.0. December 22nd is expressed as 0.0.0.0.0 and December 23rd as 0.0.0.0.1. In other words, the calendar doesn't "end" at all. Like the odometer on your car, when the cycle reaches its limit, it starts over again. The Maya thought this would usher in a "new age", just as the last completion of the cycle circa 3012 B.C.E. would have ushered in a new era and the next one circa 7012 C.E. will. None of these events was thought to be "the end of the world".

Gia's Blog has a pretty good run-down on the whole thing.

Regards,

Joe

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. In Western culture the next age is popularly known as the Age of Aquarius. So, even though our people have forgotten about our longest calendar measurement, it still appears as a song in a musical.

References to different Ages are pretty slim nowadays. In Egypt you've got the Sphinx in Egypt referring to the Age of Leo -- "when the 'lion' constellation would have risen heliacally (at dawn before the sun) on the day of the spring (vernal) equinox. This event brought the celestial lion to rest due east, thus in perfect alignment with the Sphinx. The Sphinx, in other words, was made to look at his own image in the horizon".

But in the US, our buildings aren't made with any particular references at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks