What's new

NFL 2k2 Xbox (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ouch, 6/10???

IGN's review is kinda screwed up IMHO. They raved over the graphics and how they used real players faces and such, yet still give it 8.0 when the PS2 and DC version got much higher... ahwell..

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
You CAN do a Fantasy Franchise, it's just located poorly. IGN said it best when they said that VC ignored everything BUT the game. This game needs a MAJOR overhaul. I could put up with the Engine if everything else wasn't piss poor.

To you guys that watch this, have you ever played Madden? There are a lot of unforgiveable things, like the fact that there is NO blocking in the running game, and the playbooks are IDENTICAL for each team, and the HUGEST thing, there is NO 3-4 defense. I can't wait for a custom playbook where I can actually have real defenses (This goes for all football games) like a 5-2, or down lineman.

Sorry guys, but I got to chime in on this one. I have both games, and both have their charm. I don't play franchise mode so I won't really comment on that. Bergan is right about the players diving unrealistically far. Sega intentionally did it to give the game a little arcade flavor. I've had Madden for a couple weeks. I love the defense. Very realistic, you have to be smart. I played one season on pro ( after not playing any Madden game for years), went 15-1 (lost my first game to the Lions) and won the super bowl. Ahman green ran for over 3000 yards. I didn't really like that. Although the way the players block is amazing. I love watching the linemen pull on a counter play, its very realistic. But in the end, it is way to easy to run outside. I purposely wouldn't throw at all during an entire game and still crush people. In the end it just drove me crazy. Also I hate the passing in Madden. It just doesn't feel right. I know alot of people will disagree but I thought alot of the plays were luck. I would have the perfect read and guys just wouldn't catch the ball. Or I would throw into triple coverage and my receiver would come down with the ball. I threw 30 TD's in my first season. In NFL2k2 I can tell ahead of time whether the play I picked will work or not by looking at the defense. I love that about 2k2. In my opinion whether a play will work is decided before you hike the ball if you make the right read. In the end I just love 2k2. The QB logic is so unbealievable it blows me out of the water. Anyways, it just comes down to what you like. I love Madden's defense, but I love 2k2's offense more. If I were to rate them I would give 2k2 a 9.5, the graphics need to be Xbox specific and Madden a 8.8 with the same argument that the Graphics need to be updated.

I've heard alot of people commenting about the crappy franchise mode or the non-updated roster or the graphics. Don't people play the game itself anymore. In my view there both great, but 2k2 just plays like butter even though there are lot of non-gameplay things that could use a little tweaking to be more like Madden

Dan B

Screenwriter
I was able to pick this one up this afternoon, then I had to spend an hour after I got home making sure my PC wasn't infected with the BadTrans virus... :angry:
I'll comment on my initial impression of the game, but you should know that I'm a rookie when it comes to sports games, so I'll mostly comment on the presentation for now. I'll let the other guys argue about the gameplay.
Sound:
-The first thing I noticed is that the overall level is a bit lower than the other games I've played on the Xbox. Not a problem, just an observation.
-This is the second game I've played that actually uses the center channel! :emoji_thumbsup: That's the good news. The bad news is the sound quality of the commentators (which is what the center channel is mostly used for) sounded very poor initially. After adjusting the sliders in the presentation menu to bring up the commentator's volume & decrease the sound effects and crowd noise, it was a bit easier to live with. Otherwise, the sound effects will overpower you and will be weighted far too much to the rear speakers. (as Bergen touched on in his impressions earlier)
-After that, you will notice that the voices still sound somewhat compressed and muffled, but at least they are intelligible. The referee's voice also comes from the center channel & it sounds pretty much like the real thing on TV, except for the fact that the PA only comes from the center channel and not from the surrounds where it belongs.
-The game does have some fairly deep bass at moments. (That's a seat of the pants observation...I don't have any measurements at the moment to back that up...)
Graphics
-Uhh, well it looks good to me. ;) I don't have any complaints, nor do I have anything to rave about. NFL Fever looks better in some ways (bump-mapping for example) I'm finding myself complaining less about graphics these days. That's good, isn't it? If you want more specifics, ask a question. ;)
-OK, I will rave about the animation, which is very nice indeed.
That concludes my initial impression from a 90 minute play session.
-Dan B

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
and the playbooks are IDENTICAL for each team, and the HUGEST thing, there is NO 3-4 defense.
Uhm, I have played with several different teams and there are different playbooks, and this includes defense. Sure, soem plays are the same, but there are many, many, many individual plays for individual teams. The reason there is no 3-4 defense is because the only team running it is the Steelers and I am not sure if it is in there playbook. I would have to look.

-Dean-

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
My short review:

I haven't put much time into NFL2k2 X-Box yet, but to me it looks like a solid game so far. My biggest 2 regrets about it so far are:

1. No widescreen support.

2. They didn't add system-link multiplayer capability. (which would have allowed online play like Halo)

Otherwise, it seems like a pretty nice game so far... I like the freshness of the game right now compared to Madden. It will take me a while to get used to the game with how used to Madden I am though...

Graphics-wise, I think it is as good, perhaps better than madden... True, I still expect more out of an X-Box title in the area of graphics, but I expect we should see more of that in the 2nd generation X-Box football games, when there has been more time for development.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
3-The game moves unrealistically fast
What are you comparing this too? Have you not ever heard the college players that turn pro the thing every one says is the biggest difference is the speed is so much quicker. I think Visual Concepts accurately reproduced this very well IMO.

Andrew P

Second Unit
Quote: I LOVED NFL2K and NFL2K1.

The speed of NFL2K2 is the same as both of these two games. Im not sure why you keep hammering this point.

Andy

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Often in NFL 2K2 a pass will go COMPLETELY where I did not want it to go. Also, the speed of the ball is hilarious. Who EVER wants to throw the ball straight up in a soft float into a pack of players? No one
This is probably the result of dropping back 15-20 yards and throwing off your back foot. In 2k2 they eliminated the problem that palgues 2k1 and Madden, that you can drop back and still throw a bullet to any of the wide receivers. Unrealistic now your ball will float if you aren't in proper throwing position.

Ike

Screenwriter
Where did you see that you could rip your own music? I've looked through the menus, and skimmed the manual, and not seen a mention of it.

I got it, I like it a lot. It's something I probably won't get really into until I have someone to play it with, but just by myself, I like the running game. It actually makes it where it's not a bad choice to run, like 2k and to a lesser extent, 2k1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks