NFL 2k2 Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Well I just got back from Best Buy with my copy of NFL 2k2 for the Xbox. I had a chance to play a quick game and thought I would offer some comments for those possibly looking into purchasing the game. From a graphical point of view, the Xbox version runs much smoother and looks much crisper than the PS2 version. Gameplay wise, everything seems pretty much the same. I do miss the comfy PS2 controller when playing the game, but the Xbox controller has been growing on me. Tonight I hope to find some time to start off a season with my 49ers [​IMG]. The bottom line is if you are looking to pick up this game you won't be disappointed. A great first effort on the Xbox by Sega.
    Brandon Smith

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Gamespot gave this a 9.3! Definetely looks like a winner, going to get this and REZ today.

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'm going to pick this up today if I can find a copy. I've got to support my beloved Sega. [​IMG]
    -Dan B.

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Excellent! When you all get your copies, can you post impressions of the game? Specifically how it compares to the other two offerings? I will rent it, of course, to see for myself, but I'm curious to see what other people think about it.

Thanks!

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

So what are the dirty details on this one? 5.1? Widescreen support?

Dean

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I ordered this one from EB. I owned 2k and 2k1, and even though I'm not a huge football game fan, this series is perfect!

Except... There are a few graphical/physical glitches in the games (2k, 2k1). The most annoying is when you jump, and someone collides into you, and they just pass through you. That's annoying. I hope that's fixed with 2k2.

7. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I promised a review as soon as I got the game here it is:
    Graphics: Not the best thing I've ever seen, but it's the best football graphics available on a console today. VERY similar graphic style to NFL 2k on the dreamcast and every iteration since. I prefer the madden style, I dont see a separation of pads and body, YET. The replay graphics are bar none incredible, people WILL mistake this for real football if they see you playing it. Is it Widescreen? No. I was fooled into thinking it was though, the graphics look GOOD in anamorphic widescreen. It IS anamorphic if that makes sense. Or else my TV doesn't turn on progressive unless you have anamorphic squeeze turned on, anyway it's NOT widescreen, but widescreen is VERY VERY playable.
    Sound: The game has active surrounds, but they sound muffled, does that make sense? It has a 5.1 soundtrack, it's not like it's real time 5.1 even though it is if that makes sense. Allow me to elaborate. I will be running, and get tackled, and the grunts and noise will come from behind. That's not how I think of it sounding when I watch football, but perhaps the sound is supposed to be coming from my ears? I dont know. It has a good 5.1 DD mix, AND you CAN rip your own music and put it in the game (Supposedly) but I haven't done this yet, I don't really buy CDs and my Xbox refuses to read CDRs. I will test this feature later and comment on it. The music is typical NFL 2K2 music, hip hop mix of the announcers saying retarded things. The commentary is yet again the best in the biz by a LONG shot. It has been now forever. NFL 2K has better commentary than Madden 2002 though so...
    Gameplay: It's going to take me awhile to get used to how FAST the game moves, this game takes TRUE football skill unlike madden where pass catching is just a formula. I still cant catch passes, I have been spoiled by madden. The running game moves almost too fast, I could be getting too old! You need quick reflexes. The game moves fast, the rush comes at you, DBs pick up coverages nice, and the safeties slide over to make plays, I think this game looks the most like NFL football in action.
    What else...I dont know, I only played for 10 minutes, I can answer all questions.
    I give the franchise mode an F. You cant do a fantasy draft when you start a franchise, and only one player can do a franchise at a time, that is stupid.
    OK, had a few more games, Im going to return this tomorrow. The Franchise mode is just TOO dissapointing, and the game moves unrealistically fast.
    I give it a 6/10.

8. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

That's a harsh review. Are you a fan of the previous 2k games?

10. Bergan Peters

I LOVED NFL2K and NFL2K1, they were fun. This game isn't and the fact that these rosters from the start of the NFL season is inexcusible considering it went gold AFTER the trade deadline.

The franchise mode is HORRIBLE. So horrible that I didn't even bother trying after these things were apparant:

Only one owner of a franchise can participate in the Franchise mode. Madden allows every team to be controlled by a person.

There is no fantasy draft in the franchise mode, what is the fun of that?

That's all I needed to know to return it. The passing game is nearly IMPOSSIBLE, and the running game is INCREDIBLY easy. After one half, 5 minute quarters. Ricky Williams had about 240 yards rushing, and 2 rushing touchdowns. On ALL pro. The game moves unrealistically fast. I think I might be TOO used to Madden. If you hate Madden, then you might like this game, but I doubt it. I wouldn't even recommend renting it.

The more time I spend thinking about it, the LESS I enjoyed my experiences. It has GREAT graphics, but so does Madden on the PS2, and it has a much better passing scheme. The Madden running could use some work, but the Madden Franchise system is literally 100 times better than NFL 2K2s. LITERALLY.

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

You do know it got a 9.3 and a 8.3 at Gamespot and IGN respectively. I still have hopes then, since I don't care for Madden, and I really give squat about Franchise's and rosters-I want 2 player head on head smash mouth football!

12. ruhrie

ruhrie Agent

Bergan,

I agree with you on a couple of points. One it is a very very fast paced game. Running was too easy considering that I have never played any of the sega sports games before. Passing was difficult, but it was much more realistic than Madden. The graphics are incredible in the replay mode as compared to the actual gameplay.

I am not sure if the game is automatically changes to play in widescreen mode if your XBOX is set to it. I tried to find circles that were stretched and I honestly could not tell. For the record, I have a 46" MITS Widescreen HDTV.

I do not believe a 6/10 is a fair estimate yet. However, I have not played the franchise mode before, so I cannot give any opinions on that.

This game is much better than Fever and a refreshing change from Madden. I love the commentary.

One thing that I did notice, is that the football field itself does not look plain. There are textures for grass and turf which obviously makes the game more realistic.

I will not rate the game on any scale, since I do not have enough experience with it yet. However, I do think it is a great game that will be fun to play for a long time.

Rich

13. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I think NFL2K2 is great. It is fast, but you can always bump the speed down to slow for a more realistic pace (although it is still faster than Madden at this speed level).

The running is much better than Madden in my opinion. The passing system destroys Madden's. Im not sure what logic Madden uses because I can run my quarterback about 15-20 yards deep into the pocket and throw a 50-60 yard bomb into triple coverage every time and have a 25% completion rate against my friends. The computer blitzes in NFL2K2. Dont get me wrong, I like Madden 2002, but the gameplay is stale. It still feels the same as Madden 92-93.

NFL 2K2 does need a better franchise mode, but I dont use it on Madden and I dont use it here. It could also use a better menu system, but these are minor if you love the game of football. It plays great against the computer and its more fun with 2 players! If you liked NFL2K or 2K1 you will love 2K2 on the Xbox. The graphics are phenomenal, the gameplay is great, and the computer can run.

Andy

14. Jon Liu

Jon Liu Auditioning

Bergan,

you had mentioned earlier that it is anamorphic (squeeze). How would you possibly do that? I've heard this all around the forums I go to, but never really knew how to do it. In case you need to know, I have a Mits WS-55857. That's what my XBox is hooked up to.

Thanks,

Jon

15. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

As far as the graphics go in NFL 2k2, I find them much better than Maddens. The reason being is the player models in Madden look pretty odd to me. The players heads look really out of proportion to their bodies. I think the player models in NFL 2k2 are much more realistic in appearance. Sound wise, the commentary in 2k2 is much more suiting to the situations than it is in Madden. Madden and Summerall seem to repeat the same sayings over and over with far too frequency. While there is some repeating in 2k2, it doesn't seem as severe to me as it was in the Madden franchise. Of course this is all my opinion but since the first Dreamcast incarnation the NFL 2k series has grown on me and hasn't let me go. Hopefully Sega will continue the good work next year with some online versions for 2003 [​IMG].
    Brandon Smith

16. Bergan Peters

17. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I definitely take issue with what Bergan says. The running game is better in NFL2K2 because the running backs don’t get stuck behind piles of players trying to run forward. The running backs actually squeeze through the line which is a great addition and the computer actually has a running game unlike Madden.

I notice you did not respond to the passing game so I figure that you agree with me. Maddens passing system is poor at best and passing is a big part of every game.

1. I don’t use franchise. Im sure only one player can be a limitation, but it is there. I have never used the Madden franchise so this isnt a major issue to me, plus this does not affect the gameplay.

2. The rosters will always be dated. Can they be more accurate? Sure, but I have no idea when the development of the rosters was finalized. Id rather the graphics, AI, etc be updated which was done.

3. Use the slower option to slow down the game.

4. The running game in my opinion is great. Certain games you will get huge numbers, but it evens out in my experience.

5. The dive might be a little overdone, but it is almost non-existant in Madden. Both games have an issue with this. I do like the dive over the pile though in NFL2K2.

6. Read the instructions. It is very simple to hide a play.

7. Why is the passing system unintuitive? You actually have to set your quarterback, read the defense, and throw to the open receiver. Triple coverage receptions are a thing of the past unlike Madden.

Neither game is perfect, but I cannot see how Bergan has come up with his reasoning based upon the gameplay. There are some minor issues (franchise, etc), but not of these affects the superior gameplay of NFL2K2. If you like the first two, this game is better. I cannot see anyone who like the first two having issues with this game.

Andy

18. Bergan Peters

19. Ike

Ike Screenwriter